Above all, don't overpack!

mauiedin87

I can't understand why underwear is even an issue with packing -- it takes up hardly any room, and isn't that expensive to buy (5/$26 at VS) so that you don't need to be washing stuff in the sink. If you do enjoy that, Ex Officio makes quick-drying underwear.

I agree, and am amazed by the people who say they don't even own a dozen pair of underwear to begin with. I can go through three pair in one day, and often do, between what I wear to begin the day, the pair I wear to run in (don't like thongs for running) and then what I put on after I run and shower. I would be washing underwear in my sink every day unless I pack a lot of panties. But I understand everyone is different, and I guess that $26 at VS can buy a few drinks on board, and everyone chooses to cut expenses in their own way. :)

I agree, and am amazed by the people who say they don't even own a dozen pair of underwear to begin with. I can go through three pair in one day, and often do, between what I wear to begin the day, the pair I wear to run in (don't like thongs for running) and then what I put on after I run and shower. I would be washing underwear in my sink every day unless I pack a lot of panties. But I understand everyone is different, and I guess that $26 at VS can buy a few drinks on board, and everyone chooses to cut expenses in their own way. :)

I agree.

I look at it this way. I am only on a cruise so very few minutes out of my whole life.

Do I really want to spend some of those precious minutes doing laundry? NOOOO That's why it is called vacation.

Luckily those of us who check our bag leave enough room for those who bring all of their bags aboard. God forbid that the airlines start charging like Ryan Air and Altialia (which I was forced to check a carry-on due to weight, and gladly did... in euro), start to charge for weight and stick strictly the the linear size they suggest on their websites.:eek::D

Recently I flew with a couple who had four large carry-on bags and I swear in my mind they had just come from a cruise vacation. lol... They took up two bins alone.:cool:

Just kidding... kidda.

I can't understand why underwear is even an issue with packing -- it takes up hardly any room, and isn't that expensive to buy (5/$26 at VS) so that you don't need to be washing stuff in the sink. If you do enjoy that, Ex Officio makes quick-drying underwear.

My packing mantra is that every ounce counts. I can't even fathom taking 20+ pairs of undies. It's not that I enjoy washing clothes, but it takes almost no time to throw some suds in the sink, put the items in, let them soak while I shower, then roll them in a towel to get the drying process started. And for some of us, underwear takes up more room than for others.:)

I agree.

I look at it this way. I am only on a cruise so very few minutes out of my whole life.

Do I really want to spend some of those precious minutes doing laundry? NOOOO That's why it is called vacation.

Couldn't agree more!! I'm not lifting a finger while I'm on board.

I don't discuss dirty underwear with friends, weird how we're all so comfortable writing about it on a public forum:p

I guess if my underpants only cost $26 for 5 pair I'd have more than a dozen, but the ones I like are a lot more expensive than that. I'm actually too cheap to purchase VS underwear, I want ones that will last and those look like they will only be good for a couple dozen washes.

Whenever we disembark from a cruise it always amazes me the huge loads of luggage we see people hauling. I'm like the person above, not a light packer, more like a medium packer, yet I feel like we're moving when we prepare for vacation. I can only imagine if I took enough for clothing not to be re-worn, plus a few extras for selection, we'd have to have 2 suitcases plus a carry on each. I just don't want to be that weighted down.

I have a friend who says "pack light, especially when traveling".

I understand that you hand wash your undies and hang them in the shower to dry, but don't you ever wonder how the room steward feels trying to clean around your personals?

It's just odd to me. Idunno. But then again you can hang them in the closet, or place them under the bed on a towel, or in the closet on the floor... again, just a little much.

my partner and I have differing views on this every time we go anywhere. he likes to pack too much stuff, I think it's fine to wear a pair of shorts twice as long as they're clean. We can also do laundry on the ship if need be. Shirts, undies and socks need a fresh pair every day and a few extra.

I bought one of a new invention, the scrubba wash bag. It's a 21st century take on the washboard. Washes a few items of clothing in under a minute. Since I was one of the first hundred people to buy one, and it just has been invented, it hasn't been shipped yet, but I'm happy to have signed up to get one. They fold up to about as small as a can of soda and while I haven't used one yet, I'm looking forward to bringing one on the next cruise to wash a few things. You can see a video of it at the scrubba dot com

I understand that you hand wash your undies and hang them in the shower to dry, but don't you ever wonder how the room steward feels trying to clean around your personals?

It's just odd to me. Idunno. But then again you can hang them in the closet, or place them under the bed on a towel, or in the closet on the floor... again, just a little much.

They don't have to climb into the shower to clean, I hardly think they give it a second glance. Mine are dry over night, not hanging out for days at a time. Plus, I don't really care what a cabin steward thinks of my underwear and bras hanging on the laundry line. I'm sure they have seen much worse.

It's not like I spend hours on washing a couple bras and underwear, maybe 5 minutes twice a week. Soak while you're in the shower, swish around, rinse, wring out in a towel and hang up. Easy peasy. For the husbands, put those in the laundry bag and leave for the cabin steward.

Hi, I don't wash anything while on a cruise either.

This weekend I am getting all my stuff together for my upcoming

cruise. Much of it is already out on the bed in the 2nd bedroom

already. I need to pull some things out and put some other stuff

in.........

This trip is definitely different.....I fly to Rome on Wed, May 9th:D

arrive the morning of the 10th and sailing on the 11th. So one night

in Rome. I have a lot of tours and fortuntely my cargo style capris

don't take up a lot of space...they are ok if they are wrinkled...they

are that type of cotton....and as for tops? That is what I need to

go over again.....seems like I am bringing an overload of them:eek:

Need to recount them.

First trip to the MED:) so looking forward to it!

I just went to Kohl's and they had all the intimates on sale:D

(if any of you are interested;)). Needed new things anyway and

so they are going on the cruise too.

Not only do I not mind doing my laundry on vacation, I like to shop at a local market and cook on vacation too. Wow! I realize that's odd for most people, but variety is the spice of life:p (that's also a reason we don't cruise much - hard to cook like a local on a cruise ship - though I do enjoy cooking classes when available;))

I don't leave my nightie out for them to see, but the stewards come in the morning to make the bed and clean the room and washroom. At night to turn the bed down. Plenty of time for undies to dry if they are well wrung out or towel rolled first. Overnight is fine too since they don't clean the bathroom twice a day.

I don't leave my nightie out for them to see, but the stewards come in the morning to make the bed and clean the room and washroom. At night to turn the bed down. Plenty of time for undies to dry if they are well wrung out or towel rolled first. Overnight is fine too since they don't clean the bathroom twice a day.

Wow, ours came in the bath and swapped towels and emptied the trash at turn down. But I get your point.

Not only do I not mind doing my laundry on vacation, I like to shop at a local market and cook on vacation too. Wow! I realize that's odd for most people, but variety is the spice of life:p (that's also a reason we don't cruise much - hard to cook like a local on a cruise ship - though I do enjoy cooking classes when available;))

I don't mind doing any of those things either, depending on the kind of vacation I'm on. When we go to Hawaii we rent a condo and cook, etc., but it is a more laid back vacation for us, just lots of snorkeling, a little site-seeing, absorbing the "island vibe", and we don't really go in for night life, preferring to stay in shorts even if we go out to eat, because that is what everyone else including locals is wearing. Our cruise vacations are different, we are usually busy all day long plus love going to dinner in the MDR, and all the shows, so of course we need more clothes and yet we have less time to spend washing them. My husband did do a load of laundry on the Emerald this year, I think I threw a few things in there with his load as well. We each checked one bag and had a small (fit under the seat) carry on and had plenty of clothing choices for ten days.

Wow, ours came in the bath and swapped towels and emptied the trash at turn down. But I get your point.

You're right about the towels if I leave any on the floor, I don't remember about the trash because I don't usually have much in that one. It's such a small space that most of the garbage we throw in the cabin container.

As long as I get my chocolates and my towel animal I'm a happy camper. :D

I always slightly overpack. And there are things I never wear but would not go without.( long pants, sweater etc. ) But my husband and I did europe in Jan with a 17" and a 20" each and we were happy because it was cold and there was alot of bulk ( sweaters) and I think between us we did not wear about 4 items not including the extra socks and underwear.

Hi, I don't wash anything while on a cruise either.

This weekend I am getting all my stuff together for my upcoming

cruise. Much of it is already out on the bed in the 2nd bedroom

already. I need to pull some things out and put some other stuff

in.........

This trip is definitely different.....I fly to Rome on Wed, May 9th:D

arrive the morning of the 10th and sailing on the 11th. So one night

in Rome. I have a lot of tours and fortuntely my cargo style capris

don't take up a lot of space...they are ok if they are wrinkled...they

are that type of cotton....and as for tops? That is what I need to

go over again.....seems like I am bringing an overload of them:eek:

Need to recount them.

First trip to the MED:) so looking forward to it!

I just went to Kohl's and they had all the intimates on sale:D

(if any of you are interested;)). Needed new things anyway and

so they are going on the cruise too.

when entering churches in Rome make sure your modestly dressed shoulders, legs covered. Its not like here where you can wear anything to church because no one makes the effort or can be bothered

when entering churches in Rome make sure your modestly dressed shoulders, legs covered. Its not like here where you can wear anything to church because no one makes the effort or can be bothered

Hello:) my legs will be covered. I will be wearing capri's and I am

short and they go to my calves so they are more like a crop pant.

My shoulders are covered with a short sleeved shirt:eek: and to be

honest I am not even sure I am going into any churches so the

dresscode may not even apply to me.

As for being bothered? I don't practice anything here at home

and if I did? It would be Synogauge, not a church;)

But thanks for the tips......I have read them before.

As long as I get my chocolates and my towel animal I'm a happy camper. :D

As a first time cruiser -- I LOVED the towel animals. We took pics of every one. For those more experienced...what is the proper etiquett/procedure -- are you supposed to use those towels?

We just lined ours up on the back of the sofa like a zoo over the 7 day cruise!

i don't care how much people pack or don't pack as long as everyone is able to handle their own luggage. I refuse to help my sis if she's overpacked, it's her stuff so she needs to schlep it around.

I make an exception for mom who has arthritis :p

i don't care how much people pack or don't pack as long as everyone is able to handle their own luggage.

Our family rule since I was a kid - pack what you want; you're responsible for your own bags. My husband *loves* this rule:p But it has helped my packing strategy....

We are travelling to the US from Australia in September including a cruise on the Oasis. The problem is that I always over pack but this time I am going to have to restrain myself. We intend to do plenty of shopping in the US due to the strong Aust. dollar which makes it very cheap for us. How am I going to pack for a 3 week trip, a cruise with formal wear and still have room for whatever we buy?? Plus I have my 2 teenage daughters with us who will no doubt go on a shopping frenzy.

We are travelling to the US from Australia in September including a cruise on the Oasis. The problem is that I always over pack but this time I am going to have to restrain myself. We intend to do plenty of shopping in the US due to the strong Aust. dollar which makes it very cheap for us. How am I going to pack for a 3 week trip, a cruise with formal wear and still have room for whatever we buy?? Plus I have my 2 teenage daughters with us who will no doubt go on a shopping frenzy.

yep teenagers will shop!! By the way I'll be on Oasis that same week.

yep teenagers will shop!! By the way I'll be on Oasis that same week.

Hi Alrana :) We are really looking forward to the cruise. We are going to Disneyland and New York as well which will be great too but the cruise will be a nice way to relax after 2 hectic weeks.

Archived