Above all, don't overpack!

mauiedin87

We are doing to Europe this fall for my first time. I do tend to pack a daytime outfit and an evening outfit for each day on vacation. I cannot do that for this trip. Hubby had *thought* we could pack for the 2 of us for a 7 day cruise in one 25" suitcase, then each take a 22" and a carry-on for after the cruise. There are a few problems with that I told him, the first being I don't think I have enough vacation clothes to do that, and I don't think we can pack for both of us for a week in 1 suitcase, regardless of size.

Our solution is we will share the big one and put what we need to in it. We will still each have a 22" and a carry-on. We will send a bag of laundry on the ship. After the cruise, we will send the big one with our DD to Seattle with the cruise only wear (formals, extra bathing suits, extra shoes etc). That will leave us with one smaller suitcase and backpack or tote each for another 2 weeks. We are planning on doing laundry 1/2 way through our land part of the vacation. I have to be able to handle my own luggage on train and walking so it is the right decision for us for this trip.

FWIW, we looked into shipping the suitcase from Spain to Colorado and it was almost the cost of the kids stateroom on the Liberty. The kids will only need 2 suitcases and if there is any baggage fee, we will pay it. Then worry about how to get it from Washington state to Colorado when we get home.

I can often pack for a week in my 22" and a tote but I don't bring 2 outfits for everyday when I do that. Clothes/shoes in suitcase, purse and electronics in tote.

Last night I read a thread on what mistakes first timers made re: cruising and I was surprised at how many responded with overpacking clothing.

I know (mostly women, but with us it's my husband) people want choices and a variety, but at some point you really need to cut yourself off and say "enough". I really don't feel at all bad about wearing a garment 2/3/4 times on vacation (depending on length of the trip) and no one, not one person, will notice you have on the same thing. Unless, of course, it is so memorable that many will be staring the first time it's worn.

That did happen once on a Hawaiian cruise, a woman wore the same red dress every night to dinner. It became a challenge for us to find her...not hard as she was over 6 ft. tall with a bright red dress on. I did admire her for packing light, or perhaps her luggage didn't make it and she only bought one new dress?

Before you make plans to ship anything anywhere, make sure you are aware of shipping fees. A 40 lb. box shipped from CA to FLL can cost as much as $300. A 20 lb. box, the cheapest I saw was $123. When we were in Italy we shipped back the Venetian mask we purchased, there was no way we could have packed it as it was huge. The mask probably weighs about 5 lbs. and the cost was $80 for that one item (it was worth it :)). Those flat rate boxes from the post office have a decent price(around $12-16), but don't hold all that much, they are only about 12X12X5 (some of them only 3 inches deep). A larger box (not real big) weigh 10 - 20 lbs. can cost as much as $55 to $80 to ship. This all makes those over sized and extra bags at the airline seem a bargain.

When I have been on US trips and have made a purchase I have the store ship it to my home. It's not only more convenient and I don't risk damage to the item by packing it, usually there is no sales tax added, which off sets the shipping charges. But, be careful with this as well, we're supposed to claim the item on state taxes and pay our own rate once we get home. I don't worry about that so much, I don't think the state would be all that interested in the occasional print every couple of years I purchase for less than $100.

We just came back from a 2 week cruise to Rome, Egypt, Greece, Istanbul, Venice and Turkey. I took a day outfit and a evening outfit for each day plus accessories and shoes. I wore everything except 1 dress and 2 tops. I love the whole experience and I want to have fresh clothes every day and a choice of what to wear.

If one packs well, you should be able to have plenty of clothes for a trip such as yours by packing in one medium (24" to 25" suitcase) plus one reasonable carry-on (not a 22" suitcase, either!).

I can pack for two weeks and have something different to wear nearly every day and for each evening (I always dress up for dinner on a cruise). However, I mostly wear black pants/skirts for evenings and don't see a need to have a different "bottom" every night when only worn for a few hours. I also tend to bring only 3 (or at most 4) pairs of shoes, one small, lightweight evening clutch, etc.

Usually I will return home with a top or two unworn (I try to pack a variety of tops from short-sleeve tees to long-sleeve shirts) and I may wear a top or two twice, depending on weather and what I feel like wearing. I certainly never feel deprived or that I don't have choices.

For me, the key is not bringing a lot of "extra" stuff that isn't clothing. Also, I pack my suitcase very densely until it is full but not stuffed. Things don't wrinkle much because they don't shift. I don't leave room for souvenirs, as I'm not a big shopper. I might bring home the occasional scarf, small piece of jewelry, book, or a magnet for my metal "travel notes" filing cabinet -- but that's about it.

• 1 month later...

My favorite guilty pleasure when traveling is DISPOSABLE UNDERWEAR! I order mine from Magellan's and love throwing it away at the end of each day. I also love coming home with no dirty underwear (plus a little bit of extra room in my suitcase).

I also swear by the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare (formerly MD Skincare) individually foil-wrapped packets. I pack the EZ4U Facial Towelettes (cleanser, toner, anti-aging product & moisturizer all-in-one); the Alpha Beta peel pads; and the Alpha Beta Glow Pads, which combine a gentle exfoliating self-tanner with active vitamin D. No liquids which can leak, and the packets take up next to no room in my cosmetic bag. And, by the end of your trip they're altogether gone (kinda like the disposable underwear :D). With these, all I need to add is a BB cream -- I like the Dior and the EL versions -- which contains sunscreen and provides all the foundation coverage I need. The Dennis Gross products are a little pricey, but it's so worth it to not deal with leakage; plus, I imagine my cabin housekeeper appreciates not having to deal with all the little bottles, tubes, pots, etc. that I used to spread out all over the bathroom shelves.

It's cheaper to buy Hanes from Walmart or Target than the disposable ones from Magellans.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Her-Way-Cotton-Bikini-6-Pack/896095

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing___Women___Underwear___SleepwearMU105

Just got back from NYC- 6 days, 3 people, 2 carryons + each had a small tote bag. Did bring an extra folding bag for souvenirs.

6 years ago, I bought the Little Black Travel Dress from Sahalie. It's a slightly styled black Tshirt dress. It's still my go-to for travel. It goes casual to semi-formal for me. I've worn it on cruises and land vacations. I don't do formal, so not a big deal for me. I don't care if other women sniff and stare because I wear the same dress multiple times. Hey, it actually gets washed in the sink and line dried, so it IS clean each time :-) I also travel with 2 pairs of shoes. I'll wear one when I travel, usually my hiking shoes or trail running shoes. The second pair is my Jambu Water Divas. They function as my pool shoes, beach shoes, walking-around-town shoes and my evening shoes. They are black, so they go with my LBTD for night time, but casual enough to wear with anything else I bring. I've work that outfit out to fine dining restaurants in Paris, Rome, Florence, St. Moritz and the theater/opera in New York, Prague and Dresden and was never thrown out. Clothes aren't a big deal to me in my everyday life, so I don't make any special deal about clothes when I vacation, either. I'm no slob, but I'm a casual girl in a casual mountain town. Talk to me about my fleece collection :-)

I also travel solo. It's important to me to be as mobile and self-sufficient as possible. I travel on all the modes of transport available to me, so I want to be able to handle my stuff easily. Maybe the couple of trips I took where I was told I could NOT bring more than one 22" bag and ONE daypack helped to develop my packing style! Do a safari in Africa where you will be in vans or on a small airplane and they will make you adhere to their requirements! Fly Easyjet around Europe - ONE CARRYON ONLY, no "personal item." I've met some wonderful locals on my travels at the local laundramats. I've learned about some good restaurants by hanging out at the laundramat!

Everyone can do what they want in terms of what they bring on vacation. If you're totally into cruise fashion and need 2-3 outfits per day with shoes to match, more power to you. But, don't b*tch and moan when it comes to transporting it or any fees you might have. And, don't look down at us who pack for all our trips with our everyday clothes. What/how to pack is a First World Problem :)

6) It requires less mental effort on the cruise. My only fashion choice was which tank top to wear.

Some of us prefer to make the effort beyond a tank top.

And, don't look down at us who pack for all our trips with our everyday clothes. What/how to pack is a First World Problem :)

^^ yeah that.

I can certainly appreciate those who like to find clothes that are easy to pack, go with everything, work for different occasions, etc. I'm usually like that, feeling a sense of accomplishment when I find those kinds of things, can pack light and small, and efficient. But, not this next cruise! For once, we can drive to the port and not fly, so no restrictions! I'm taking the largest bag I own that holds boots, sandals, dress shoes, formal night outfits, tops, bottoms, dresses, heck even, a down jacket (for the glaciers)!

So much fun!

Hey, if I didn't have to fly to do a cruise (anyone know of a cruise that starts in Utah???) or only needed 6 hours of driving time each way to my vacation spots, I'd probably not be so cautious about what I pack. Driving to your destination certainly opens up packing possibilities. But, if you need to fly/train/bus anywhere, what you are hauling definitely plays into your packing strategy. I'd like to keep that extra bag/oversize/overweight charges for doing other things on my vacation ;)

I am infamous for packing many, many options. I like the freedom to change my mind about what I want to wear... I have a general idea of what I am wearing when I pack, but if I am not happy with the shirt I picked, I like that I can pick another and still have plenty of clean clothes for the remainder of my trip.

How I dress is a big part of the enjoyment of my trip and if I am not happy with my outfit, it generally will put me in a bad mood. I think I have only paid an overage fee once, but my luggage is always right at 50 Lbs.

I like options. ;)

6 years ago, I bought the Little Black Travel Dress from Sahalie. It's a slightly styled black Tshirt dress. It's still my go-to for travel. It goes casual to semi-formal for me. I've worn it on cruises and land vacations. I don't do formal, so not a big deal for me. I don't care if other women sniff and stare because I wear the same dress multiple times. Hey, it actually gets washed in the sink and line dried, so it IS clean each time :-) I also travel with 2 pairs of shoes. I'll wear one when I travel, usually my hiking shoes or trail running shoes. The second pair is my Jambu Water Divas. They function as my pool shoes, beach shoes, walking-around-town shoes and my evening shoes. They are black, so they go with my LBTD for night time, but casual enough to wear with anything else I bring. I've work that outfit out to fine dining restaurants in Paris, Rome, Florence, St. Moritz and the theater/opera in New York, Prague and Dresden and was never thrown out. Clothes aren't a big deal to me in my everyday life, so I don't make any special deal about clothes when I vacation, either. I'm no slob, but I'm a casual girl in a casual mountain town. Talk to me about my fleece collection :-)

I also travel solo. It's important to me to be as mobile and self-sufficient as possible. I travel on all the modes of transport available to me, so I want to be able to handle my stuff easily. Maybe the couple of trips I took where I was told I could NOT bring more than one 22" bag and ONE daypack helped to develop my packing style! Do a safari in Africa where you will be in vans or on a small airplane and they will make you adhere to their requirements! Fly Easyjet around Europe - ONE CARRYON ONLY, no "personal item." I've met some wonderful locals on my travels at the local laundramats. I've learned about some good restaurants by hanging out at the laundramat!

Everyone can do what they want in terms of what they bring on vacation. If you're totally into cruise fashion and need 2-3 outfits per day with shoes to match, more power to you. But, don't b*tch and moan when it comes to transporting it or any fees you might have. And, don't look down at us who pack for all our trips with our everyday clothes. What/how to pack is a First World Problem :)

I liked your post. You are a true traveler and know how to do it properly!! I'm impressed!

I've had a couple experiences when I've seen people wearing the same clothing over and over again on a cruise. One woman wore the same red hibiscus print dress to dinner every night on a Hawaiian cruise, it became a game to us to spot her. At least it looked clean!

Another time a guy wore the same ugly dirty red sweats to a one night invitation only cruise, they had requested we dress business casual. He even presented himself to the company president looking like that. We saw him in the dining room that night, still in the same, then breakfast the next morning, still the same.

I usually don't sniff or stare at people, to be honest I rarely notice what others are wearing. But for gosh sakes, if you only plan in wearing one outfit, try to make it a clean one;) or maybe something not quite so eye catching.

We travel quite extensively with my husband and it does teach you quickly what is the best way to pack. I haven't brought too much stuff with me in years but then again I do wear same clothes two or three times and I make sure everything matches so I can change my outfit on daily basis if needs be (that might easily be the longest sentence I've ever written...whew).

I also bring at least two pairs of shoes in addition to the ones I'm wearing on the flight. Flat irons, plenty of cosmetics and accessories. I use them all and I carry my own bag. If the holiday is longer than 9 days, I take a carry-on bag instead of a tote bag.

Works just fine.

I use scarves and necklaces and belts to change the look of my little black dress. I love to buy scarves on vacation - a constant reminder of my trips. They take up no space (unless I buy 6 like I did in Spain!!!) and can be used for a multitude of things (need a grocery bag in a pinch? tie up the scarf!). If you are going to wear a dress multiple times, I agree that you need to pick something that is pretty neutral/tame to begin with, color/style-wise. Bright red or a bold Hawaiian print would not be my first choice :-)

I'm a graduate of another "school" no one has brought up - the school of "if I need it and didn't bring it I can always buy it":D It's kind of fun when I get home and someone asks me where I got something and I can say "oh, this? I picked it up in <name your vacation spot>"

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it is not clothes/shoes that we over pack on...with the exception on a sweater and jacket each, we wear all the clothes we take on vacation..and have laundry done (or do it ourselves)..

It is all the other stuff we take...OTC medications, first aid kit, eyeglass repair kit..duct tape, sewing kit...cameras..laptop...etc..etc..etc...I think with take more 'stuff' than clothes and shoes!

Cross pack with your travel partner (if you have one) as well, just in case only one suitcase makes it...don't forget to cross pack a couple pair of shoes ;)

This is THE best advice of all. I went to Bali and few years ago and there was a honeymooner couple in the next-door villa. Her suitcase didn't show up when they arrived and it never came the whole time they were there. She was pretty miserable without her lovely honeymoon clothes. If she had packed half-and-half with her new husband she would've been much happier AND she wouldn't have had to spend a lot of money buying clothes to wear on the trip.

So after that I ALWAYS cross pack on long trips or cruises, but the tip is important about cross-packing shoes, too.

I never overpack for cruises. We each take a 25-inch bag, that's more than enough for everything we need.

I know I need a 30"...winter climate trips obviously less clothes because they are bulky, but cruises tend to be warm, so I can get it all in a 30". 25" and i would explode...or be relegated to 2 pairs of shoes for the entire week. I usually come in just under 50 lbs.

For me, it is not clothes/shoes that we over pack on...with the exception on a sweater and jacket each, we wear all the clothes we take on vacation..and have laundry done (or do it ourselves)..

It is all the other stuff we take...OTC medications, first aid kit, eyeglass repair kit..duct tape, sewing kit...cameras..laptop...etc..etc..etc...I think with take more 'stuff' than clothes and shoes!

That´s our problem as well!! I´m sure´stuff´is heavier than clothes

Sandy in Spain

Just got back from a 4-day "extra" cruise that we took for my partner's birthday. We finally got a chance to try out The Scrubba (http://www.thescrubba.com). I mentioned it in an earlier post but haven't had a chance to try it out until now. The inventor is from Australia and the Scrubba has been chosen as invention of the year there.

Basically it's a new take on the old fashioned washboard. In under a minute you can wash 3-4 items of clothing. The Scrubba folds up to be smaller than a can of soda and is very light. At most it will take up the space of a pair of socks in your luggage.

I'm happy to report that this new invention has turned out to be a good buy, and kept us in clean clothes on this last trip. My partner, who usually criticizes my kickstarter and indiegogo purchases, couldn't leave it alone.

On this trip we were both sweating a lot, due to the July heat. There was no way we could wear our clothes more than once. So we washed our shirts, undies and even socks in the Scrubba. The process is quick, easy, and you can even use the ship provided shampoo or body wash. I had purchased the entire kit, which is a little more expensive than just the Scrubba itself, but includes a drying line, drying towel and a waterproof bag. After a quick wash in the Scrubba, we would rinse then wring out our clothing as much as we could by hand. Then we would roll up the clothes in the drying towel to get out as much water as possible and hang the clothes to dry.

Because we had an inside stateroom on this temp, we had no balcony upon which to hang our clothes to dry. So we just hung them in the closet. This took a little longer to dry, since our stateroom had no real air circulation, especially in the closet. But after a day we had dry clothes which smelled nice and looked as good as machine washed.

I'm not affiliated with the Scrubba and have no financial interest in the product. But I do believe it is a helpful little gadget which can only assist you in packing light and saving money on shipboard laundry. I think the discounted rate for laundry on my ship was 29.99 for a small bag We saved double that this time around, and expect the same or better on our 7-day we have coming up. I urge you to at least check out the site and see whether this new invention can help you in your quest for lighter packing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got back from a 4-day "extra" cruise that we took for my partner's birthday. We finally got a chance to try out The Scrubba (www.thescrubba.com). I mentioned it in an earlier post but haven't had a chance to try it out until now. The inventor is from Australia and the Scrubba has been chosen as invention of the year there.

Basically it's a new take on the old fashioned washboard. In under a minute you can wash 3-4 items of clothing. The Scrubba folds up to be smaller than a can of soda and is very light. At most it will take up the space of a pair of socks in your luggage.

I'm happy to report that this new invention has turned out to be a good buy, and kept us in clean clothes on this last trip. My partner, who usually criticizes my kickstarter and indiegogo purchases, couldn't leave it alone.

On this trip we were both sweating a lot, due to the July heat. There was no way we could wear our clothes more than once. So we washed our shirts, undies and even socks in the Scrubba. The process is quick, easy, and you can even use the ship provided shampoo or body wash. I had purchased the entire kit, which is a little more expensive than just the Scrubba itself, but includes a drying line, drying towel and a waterproof bag. After a quick wash in the Scrubba, we would rinse then wring out our clothing as much as we could by hand. Then we would roll up the clothes in the drying towel to get out as much water as possible and hang the clothes to dry.

Because we had an inside stateroom on this temp, we had no balcony upon which to hang our clothes to dry. So we just hung them in the closet. This took a little longer to dry, since our stateroom had no real air circulation, especially in the closet. But after a day we had dry clothes which smelled nice and looked as good as machine washed.

I'm not affiliated with the Scrubba and have no financial interest in the product. But I do believe it is a helpful little gadget which can only assist you in packing light and saving money on shipboard laundry. I think the discounted rate for laundry on my ship was 29.99 for a small bag We saved double that this time around, and expect the same or better on our 7-day we have coming up. I urge you to at least check out the site and see whether this new invention can help you in your quest for lighter packing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very interesting. I am Australian and I haven't heard about this but will definately look into it.

I looked at the Scrubba and the online video (I think it was in German) and it looks great for camping or if a man just doesn't want to wash out his own underpants. So, thank you for sharing it.

But, on a cruise you have a sink to use, so my unmentionables I just allow to soak for 10-15 minutes while I'm showering and then swish around, just like you would do with the Scrubba. I roll them up in a towel and hang them in the shower, on the provided laundry line. Takes me about 5 minutes of effort.

We prefer to send things out, even if there are laundry rooms, we just don't want to take the time to press our clothing. Neither of us wear T shirts so all of our tops/shirts need to be pressed. Mine are sent for dry cleaning, we send my husbands to laundry. We don't send out the whole suitcase full of stuff, just a few pieces, so our total for the week is usually around $25-30, less than half than taking along an extra suitcase. On the homebound trip all the clothes are dirty.

But I do think it's a handy invention for camping or clothing people don't mind not having that fresh pressed, or at least out of the dryer look. When I looked at the price online, it was $39.95 plus a $7 shipping fee, that was for just the bag. It would also be a good item for people who only want to pack in a backpack and not dress up at all.

I know I need a 30"...winter climate trips obviously less clothes because they are bulky, but cruises tend to be warm, so I can get it all in a 30". 25" and i would explode...or be relegated to 2 pairs of shoes for the entire week. I usually come in just under 50 lbs.

I have a 30 inch bag -- polycarbonate clamshell type. It went on exactly one cruise. 30 inch bag does not fit in taxi to go from hotel to ship! I arrived at port in FLL with it sticking out of a limo held down with a bungee chord :eek::p:o Not a good look at all. European or any foreign port is worse because the cars are generally smaller. Also drivers looking at monster bag all develop a "bad back" and you are left to heft it into the trunk by yourself.

My 30 inch held about 80 pounds of clothes/shoes/my junk. When I took it down to just under 50 pounds the clothes etc. flew around the case and got disorganized and messy. When the inspectors went through everything (they left a friendly letter of greeting) my careful packing was completely messed up and the shoes ended up in the midst of my formal long dress.

The airline overage fee is not the problem here. You have to manage your bag for the rest of the trip too. I don't like clamshells because they have to lay out flat to pack and unpack 30 inch bag doesn't even fit on the bed that well:rolleyes: and many hotel rooms are pretty small once you get that bed in. I have a hard time lifting the 50 pounds up to the place it will sit and I have a hard time getting down to floor level so I limit my bag to 40 pounds.

You may be different but think of how your bag will impact your trip. Small rooms, elevators, trunks, train aisles, (small porters:p or worse NO porters) 4 steps up to lobby, and small hallways. You will be happier with a 24 inch bag maxing out at 44 pounds (metric limits). I also find can not do a 22 inch bag -- I love my stuff. Don't be the elephant in the room with a huge trunk (suitcase).

I use scarves and necklaces and belts to change the look of my little black dress. I love to buy scarves on vacation - a constant reminder of my trips.(you will love Turkey for scarves. I bought a beautiful one -- so beautiful that it is hanging framed on my wall:p) They take up no space (unless I buy 6 like I did in Spain!!!) and can be used for a multitude of things (need a grocery bag in a pinch? tie up the scarf!). If you are going to wear a dress multiple times, I agree that you need to pick something that is pretty neutral/tame to begin with, color/style-wise. Bright red or a bold Hawaiian print would not be my first choice :-) (I also use black/white theme and carry basic skirt/pant in each color and lots of little tops in colors/styles that differ but all of which weigh only ounces)

I'm a graduate of another "school" no one has brought up - the school of "if I need it and didn't bring it I can always buy it":D It's kind of fun when I get home and someone asks me where I got something and I can say "oh, this? I picked it up in <name your vacation spot>"

I sure wish I could be of that school, but it does not work for a plus size gal with lots of skin allergies! I always assume I can not buy anything other than a scarf or postcard or good quality jewelry:o

Archived