Above all, don't overpack!

mauiedin87

I really don't see the correlation between packing more and looking better than others. If you make wise choices with your clothing and accessory choices, a person can look just as good and sometimes better than others taking a trunk load full of clothing.

I don't think I'd ever qualify for being a light packer, since I do take a suitcase and a carry on. But I read here how people take 2 suitcases each, a carry on each, a large purse, etc... And all this is for a vacation when you will be in bathing suits and shorts most of the time?

I'm the same as you, 1 suitcase and carry on per person. However I want to point out that not everyone is going to be in bathing suits and shorts most of the time. I went on a western caribbean cruise and only wore my bathing suit for about 40 minutes in 8 days and that was for the hot tub. I'm not a beach/pool person.

Good morning girls:)....I fly to Rome today:D and will be bringing

1 checked bag and 1 carry on.......Both bags are packed and I

am ready....well, except for taking a shower, shaving, having coffee,

etc....but I am ready otherwise;) I just can't go back to sleep on

this wonderful day:D

To be perfectly honest, the debate between the “travel light” proponents, and “travel light=freeze at night” advocates is simply an ego debate. The travel light folks tend to compete to see how light they can travel. The thought is that the more experienced a person is, the less things they need. Some can do a month-long round the world tour with a large fanny pack.

I don't see it as a competition at all. Just keep in mind that I'll be the one breezing by while others wait for checked bags, I'll be the one not spending $$ to pay tips to porters, I'll be the one not struggling to drag a ton of bags along behind me, I'm not the one spending $$ to pay for checked bags on the plane, I'm not the one worried about lost luggage, and I'll be the one able to take public transit as opposed to having to pay a kings ransom for a private shuttle or car service. :D

I don't compete with anyone, I simply know what I need, and know that it will all fit into one 20" suitcase with a little common sense and planning.

Certainly there are times where you need to have more than a roll on and tote, but those are few and far between in my experience.

I certainly understand the “pack light” mentality. Although we do not compete with ultra-light travelers, on our vacations my family tends to travel light: unless we bring snorkeling gear, or heavy winter clothing, or are bringing lots of presents, for any international or domestic travel we simply have carryons (roughly 35-40 liters each). This is done so that we can easily jump on a plane, or a bus, or a train, or whatever, without having to need to keep track of many luggages, etc. It is easier to keep track of bags. It is easier to be on the move when you pack light. To me there are many good reasons to pack light, and I stand by them.

Agreed.

HOWEVER, in case of a cruise, I do not see the urgent need to pack light. You get on easily with lots of luggage, and you can get off with lots of luggage. You unpack/pack once. For the purposes of our first time cruise, we are considering not to pack light.

Can someone who is an ardent supporter of "travel light" explain to me why it is beneficial to travel light when going on a cruise?

See my first response above as a start.

My next cruise starts with a few days in Rome. We're taking the train from FCO to Termini, then walking 2.5 blocks to our hotel. This will be easy to accomplish with a roll on and tote bag. It would not be easy loaded down like pack mules.

We end with a few days in Athens and given the current situation there, have legitimate concerns of how we will get around. Our hotel is about 3/4 mile from Syntagma Square, which is where we'll get dropped after the cruise if we want a free transfer. From there it is on us. We are planning for the worst--no cabs, no trains, no buses due to strikes, and will walk if need be. Consider walking 3/4 of a mile loaded with a large suitcase, a garment bag, a tote, and a rolling duffle. Almost impossible, and add the summer heat of Athens--no thanks. But a single roll on and tote makes that very doable.

OOOH - Bin Hogs -one of my favorite rants. :):( ONE item per person in bin and the rest under the seat!!! (should only be one item)!! On a flight out of San Juan, there was not room for carryons in the bins because people had filled them with backpacks totes, etc. The flight attendants were trying to clear space and asking people to put the smaller pieces under their seat. When she asked "whose is this?" about one backpack (We knew whose it was because we had see him put it there) the owner just ignored her and acted like he didn't understand English.

On a recent flight, this same thing happened, but the attendant had a great response. She said "Okay if no one claims it I have to put it off the flight. Cannot have unclaimed baggage aboard" The owner suddenly "heard" her. :D

For the most part I agree, but for those who are in first class, take as much room as you need as long as the others in F/C have room for their bags as well. I often see the FA's close the F/C bins even if they aren't full once everyone in a F/C seat is on board and has stowed their luggage.

PS--I sometimes use my tote as a foot rest if I'm in a seat without them. Being able to elevate my legs--even if I can't really stretch them--is more comfortable to me. It also takes away some of the vibration normally felt on your feet.

Jealous! Three weeks and counting for me!

Thanks girls:)........I also got a U shaped pillow for the flight:)

Got a window seat for the overseas flight and luckly for me I can

sleep on planes!

I don't see it as a competition at all. Just keep in mind that I'll be the one breezing by while others wait for checked bags, I'll be the one not spending $$ to pay tips to porters, I'll be the one not struggling to drag a ton of bags along behind me, I'm not the one spending $$ to pay for checked bags on the plane, I'm not the one worried about lost luggage, and I'll be the one able to take public transit as opposed to having to pay a kings ransom for a private shuttle or car service. :D

I don't compete with anyone, I simply know what I need, and know that it will all fit into one 20" suitcase with a little common sense and planning.

Certainly there are times where you need to have more than a roll on and tote, but those are few and far between in my experience.

My next cruise starts with a few days in Rome. We're taking the train from FCO to Termini, then walking 2.5 blocks to our hotel. This will be easy to accomplish with a roll on and tote bag. It would not be easy loaded down like pack mules.

We end with a few days in Athens and given the current situation there, have legitimate concerns of how we will get around. Our hotel is about 3/4 mile from Syntagma Square, which is where we'll get dropped after the cruise if we want a free transfer. From there it is on us. We are planning for the worst--no cabs, no trains, no buses due to strikes, and will walk if need be. Consider walking 3/4 of a mile loaded with a large suitcase, a garment bag, a tote, and a rolling duffle. Almost impossible, and add the summer heat of Athens--no thanks. But a single roll on and tote makes that very doable.

True enough (and I heartily endorse what you do, as I try to do the same most of the time), but I think that most posters here (myself included) take what they want, not what they need. I only need a few days' worth of clothes and access to laundry, whether I do it myself or send it out, but I sometimes want to bring more stuff. I may wish to dress to the nines for formal night, or may be driving to the port, in which case I'll take everything but the dogs (the younger one would get seasick, anyway:)). It all depends on circumstances. On those occasions when I'm flying and will have to check a bag, wait for my luggage and pay more for transportation, I'm willing to do so as a trade off to having more fun with my stuff.

But I never fill my bag to the point where I can't lift it into an overhead train rack (or DH can't, if we're travelling together, but it's his shoes that weigh a ton, not mine:p).

I love travelling light most of the time. But once in awhile I scratch the itch to travel medium. It's been a long time since I haven't worn or used every single item that I've brought along.

And we've seen plenty of people rolling their bags from Termini to their hotels. If you go in the right direction, it's all downhill. :)

And we've seen plenty of people rolling their bags from Termini to their hotels. If you go in the right direction, it's all downhill. :)

Where can I stay that it's downhill both ways?:D Yes, being able to carry our bags from/to lodging and train station is often a concern of ours - we've done it in Amsterdam, Brussels, Venice, NYC, etc. On the stairs/bridges in Venice, I definitely wished I'd packed lighter! (I wasn't too bad, but it wasn't one of my better efforts....)

Our hotel in Rome is only two blocks from Termini, no biggie. But in Athens, it's 3/4 of a mile (and with what I can tell, generally uphill) from where we're being dropped off. Big difference.

I'm actually pretty good at packing, but my problem is my husband. Any of you have that problem? I can roll, tuck, and fit two outfits a day, a dress or two for dressier nights, plus bathing suits into a standard suitcase for a 7 day cruise. Of course, I have a carryon with other essentials, but still!

He has to have a full size suitcase, an overstuffed garment bag, a carryon, maybe a rolling duffle. He never wears every "outfit", but he takes it just in case.

I just laugh and go with the flow! It's his cruise too, and if it makes him happy...well then, it makes me happy! That's what porters are for.

I agree, my DH is the worst clothes hog! He has to take dress pants, jeans, shorts, t-shirts, long sleeve dress shirts on hangers, short sleeve shirts to wear over his t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, outerwear jackets, baseball hats, safari hats, swim suits, 3 pairs of shoes plus sandals and water shoes, etc. I pack all my stuff in one suitcase and plus my 2 young adult boys in one suitcase and DH is always asking if either of us has any room for his "stuff". UGH!

Hope your wonderful day is lasting and lasting and lasting! Have fun

Our first Royal cruise (Family of 4 adults) I kid you not I packed 8 suitcases,1 garmet bag,4 carryons and one large duffle bag.... The poor valet guy at the airport couldn't fit it all onto the cart.. Oh yeah and a laptop too... Needless to say this upcoming cruise I am limitimg myself to one pp and a carryon!!!!!

I have found that so often too much luggage is a big problem not on the cruise but for transporting to and from the airport/hotel/etc. Most countries have expensive gas and little cars. Most buses/trains/even vans have no luggage area or the luggage area is not where the seats are. Taxis have room for 3 persons but only one luggage. Many guides store THEIR stuff in their trunk and where does my rolling closet go :rolleyes: Cobblestone streets and steps down to the courtyard means that you better be able to carry your suitcase even if it has wheels! Oh and the biggest bummer is the cute little elevators in some hotels (usually added centuries after the building was constructed) that will take a pleasantly plumb woman or a reasonable suitcase but NOT both! Getting over taking everything means a better trip but it is a real real (cussing inducing) struggle every trip!:(

I noticed your pirate name. My niece's husband has written two really great pirate fiction books Fiddler's Green and Fiddler's Gun about a young girl who hid her sex to runaway to sea and became a pirate captain on the Carolina coast during the Revolutionary War period. Perhaps you would like them. I did and did not expect to :D A S Peterson is the author and I think they are available from Amazon or from the Rabbit Room (bookstore). Happy pirating.

Our one and only Med cruise (so far) we had an almost disaster with too much luggage. Not that we packed all that heavy, but the taxi driver at FCO had a car about the size of my Honda Accord, maybe even smaller. There were 4 of us, each with a bag and a carry on, the trunk held only our carry on bags.

Miraculously, there was another driver with a large van, picking up 15 people and going to the same obscure hotel. When will that ever happen again? The other driver agreed to take our luggage to the hotel for a good gratuity (we were happy to pay).

The hotel in Rome was nice, small rooms, only one attendant at the desk to check in...we did graciously allow the other 15 people in the van to go ahead of us. Then, the hotel elevator would hold two of us and 2 carry on cases at a time and that was a tight squeeze :p Our husbands stayed downstairs and sent up the luggage on the elevator without them, they climbed the stairs. We made it, wasn't easy. Two days later, reverse the situation only add 3 more people and 6 more cases. We took a city tour with transportation to the ship, the van that picked us up could not hold all the luggage :eek:. Italians being as kind as they are arranged another much larger van for transport to the ship that afternoon.

I'm sure there are plenty of other European cities that don't accomodate overpackers in their taxis!

Finally, we had the best time in Rome even with our big luggage and taxi/tour van fiasco.

We had a similar situation as well when I traveled with a group once to Rome. We were instructed to only bring one checked and one carry-on, but of course someone packed like she was the queen of Sheba (and it wasn't me...), and our guide had to arrange for a second van just for luggage.

And I was amazed at the size of the elevator in our hotel, the Roma Majestic... but it was so beautiful it wasn't a problem, we each took our turn up on the lift.

The only hotel elevator and room size wasn't an issue was the Hilton properties at the airport in Rome and Venice. They know how greedy for space we are. :D;)

We stayed at a 4-room hotel in Rome, the Roman Residence (which I highly recommend, BTW). Cruise Critics took all 4 rooms for the night before the cruise. We arrived a few days early with our carry-on only bags. The next morning as we wandered past the office, we saw the owner sitting behind a mound of luggage for one couple that was on the cruise with us - three or 4 26" or larger bags, a couple of carry on size and two enormous backpacks. He said, "Canada has arrived. Are they moving here?":p We had booked transport to the pier in Civitavecchia with Rome Cabs. Even though we had room for 2 more people, we couldn't take them because there was no room for their luggage. They ended up booking their own van.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I pack a single carry-on for a long weekend somewhere, normally a tote bag. I packed a suitcase-style backpack (a backpack that unzips on 3 sides like a suitcase & can also be carried by a strap) & a tote bag for our 7-day Caribbean cruise.

Why?

1) While everyone else on the flight is waiting for their luggage, there's no line for taxis. Even if there was, I had already mapped out how to get there on public transportation.

2) One of our bags was checked on the way home(can't carry rum on!). It was delayed for over a day. What if that had happened on the way there? Mom went on a European cruise with a friend, and the friend's luggage never showed up.

3) Nobody will be nicer to my bag than I am. Mom's bag got left sitting on the tarmac out in the rain, so everything was damp & musty by the time she unpacked. My checked bag that was delayed had a broken bottle of rum and black marks all over it.

4) if we get off the plane & are starving, we don't have to go drop off luggag at the hotel first.

5) If our connection gets changed o a new gate, we know that our luggage made it I we did.

6) It requires less mental effort on the cruise. My only fashion choice was which tank top to wear.

7) I can just carry my bag on my lap if I need to. No worries about cargo space.

8) It takes less room on the ship. I've stayed in a room with 3 other women where we each had a suitcase and a carryon, and there was stuff everywhere.

9) If the airline starts offering enough money to make willing to give up my seat, I can take it and not have to worry about my luggage. If I get stranded overnight, I have my luggage with me.

I have really enjoyed this discussion and reading about everyone's opinions and suggestions. I am a chronic over-packer but am working on getting better at it, though I most certainly fall in the camp of "liking to have options" (and along with that, the camp of "getting worked up when I don't have options!")

My BF and I are booked on a weekend sailing in October out of Miami. Normally this would not present a problem (even with my overpacking tendencies I think I could manage a carry on for an NCL short hop!) However I will have spent the previous week in Orlando for my company's annual meeting and trade show. So I'm [already?] obsessing about how I'll work all that out when I really don't want to lug my suits and biz casual clothes with me on the flight from MCO-MIA and then to the port.

Has anyone heard of or had personal experience with shipping clothes via FedEx or other vendors? It's not like I don't have MONTHS to research this but this is the place to get the scoop!

I have really enjoyed this discussion and reading about everyone's opinions and suggestions. I am a chronic over-packer but am working on getting better at it, though I most certainly fall in the camp of "liking to have options" (and along with that, the camp of "getting worked up when I don't have options!")

My BF and I are booked on a weekend sailing in October out of Miami. Normally this would not present a problem (even with my overpacking tendencies I think I could manage a carry on for an NCL short hop!) However I will have spent the previous week in Orlando for my company's annual meeting and trade show. So I'm [already?] obsessing about how I'll work all that out when I really don't want to lug my suits and biz casual clothes with me on the flight from MCO-MIA and then to the port.

Has anyone heard of or had personal experience with shipping clothes via FedEx or other vendors? It's not like I don't have MONTHS to research this but this is the place to get the scoop!

Not exactly the same situation but......To have more room for souvenirs on trips have mailed home dirty clothes from Alaska and other places in the US in those flat rate boxes (took my own boxes and tape in suitcase so had them) I just put a relative's return address so if it got lost, it would show up somewhere closeby and then get to me. Had a housesitter so if it beat us home, she got it. No problems.

Have even done this when couldn't get to the PO or it was a Sunday by tipping someone at a hotel to mail it for me the next time the PO was open. Kind of worrisome but have been lucky as to asking right person. Also, in one place I was buying quite a few non-breakable items so they just packed all of them in a flat rate box and sent it flat-rate to me; just added price to tab.

If you aren't worried about the wrinkles, etc. in your business clothes, you could get a lot in one of those large boxes by rolling them.

Not sure what the rates are now but maybe cheaper than one of the other carriers. Beats lugging extra stuff on your vacation!

Have a great time!

Thanks @Suitcasefull, I never thought of the flat rate boxes, that is a great idea. I should be able to find a USPS nearby or via the hotel. Once my biz clothes are worn I've no problem rolling them up in a box and sending them home while I send myself to the Bahamas! I appreciate your taking the time to offer a great suggestion. Now I can mull it over for FOUR months (thankfully my fellow CC'ers "get" the obsession, my BF isn't quite there yet!)

CC

Our rule for us and our kids during 27 years if travelling frequently with the US Army was if you can carry it, you can bring it. I once chastised my daughter for bringing her pillow on a two week trip to Ireland. By the end of the trip, I considered renting the pillow from her!

Not exactly the same situation but......To have more room for souvenirs on trips have mailed home dirty clothes from Alaska and other places in the US in those flat rate boxes (took my own boxes and tape in suitcase so had them) I just put a relative's return address so if it got lost, it would show up somewhere closeby and then get to me. Had a housesitter so if it beat us home, she got it. No problems.

Have even done this when couldn't get to the PO or it was a Sunday by tipping someone at a hotel to mail it for me the next time the PO was open. Kind of worrisome but have been lucky as to asking right person. Also, in one place I was buying quite a few non-breakable items so they just packed all of them in a flat rate box and sent it flat-rate to me; just added price to tab.

If you aren't worried about the wrinkles, etc. in your business clothes, you could get a lot in one of those large boxes by rolling them.

Not sure what the rates are now but maybe cheaper than one of the other carriers. Beats lugging extra stuff on your vacation!

Have a great time!

I'm an overpacker, and I own it. I can also carry everything I take with me, I can't rely on others.

We travelled this past winter for 4 months - I packed a lot. Our trip was varied, 2 different cruises, 27 flights, several countries. When we were finished with things we mailed them home from wherever we were - once from Tahiti and twice from Australia. It was fantastic!

The Tahiti suitcase took about a month to arrive, the first Australia box was two and a half months, the second was less than two months. No big deal, we weren't home anyway - and it made the last legs of the trip much easier.

We are considering shipping a box TO our destination for this coming winter to lighten the load on the way there.

We just came back from a 2 week cruise to Rome, Egypt, Greece, Istanbul, Venice and Turkey. I took a day outfit and a evening outfit for each day plus accessories and shoes. I wore everything except 1 dress and 2 tops. I love the whole experience and I want to have fresh clothes every day and a choice of what to wear.

We just came back from a 2 week cruise to Rome, Egypt, Greece, Istanbul, Venice and Turkey. I took a day outfit and a evening outfit for each day plus accessories and shoes. I wore everything except 1 dress and 2 tops. I love the whole experience and I want to have fresh clothes every day and a choice of what to wear.

How many bags was that?

Archived