How do I cut down on my cruise packing?

sophiesnores

Resist the urge to sneak stuff back in!!!:) Just cause you CAN take it does not mean you NEED to take it. resist, resist, resist :D

I shall be strong! I'll not add things but i might do some swaps.:)

I think the underwear paranoia comes from the time that i left a pile of packing behind and had only the white bra i was wearing a black one and 2 each white n black knickers in hand luggage :eek:

14 night cruise and i hadn't packed travel wash!

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

I do not know of you have them(or similar) in the UK, but I now pack Purell laundry sheets every trip. If I hand wash, I just tear a piece off. For a full load, just toss it in. No more leaky bottles of liquid wash or spilled dry detergent. It takes minimal space in luggage.

There are women who only pack two bras intentionally? I like a clean one, especially in warm climates. Do such women wash one or both every single night and hope they are dry in time for the next use? or do they not sweat? I think I will continue to pack multiple bras.

I usually pack enough underwear to change each day for the whole trip. They are small and don't take up much room.

I've gone from taking 3 28" suitcases (for just hubby & I) for 3 weeks in Australia, to 1 25" case for just myself for 3 weeks in Europe.

For our 21 day Med trip, we were limited to one suitcase of 44 lbs, as I had booked airfare to Paris, planning on taking the overnight train to Rome. That didn't work out so at the last minute booked airfare on Air France. International flight we were allowed to cases of 50 lbs each, but the Air France leg was considered Domestic, so only allowed 1 case of 44 lbs.

I take enough pants/shorts (depending on weather) to wear 3 times each. So 21 day trip divided by 3 was 7 pair. With tops to mix and match. I'm not into swimming, so didn't even take a bathing suit at all. Did have black palazzo pants with two fancy tops for formal night.

We went late Oct/early Nov with cooler temps and rain, so an umbrella & raincoat were essential, but we wore the coat on the airplane.

We're flying to Turkey in October, doing a 16 day land tour (including a boat), then spending 10 days in Spain and then a 16 day cruise back to the US. The weather will be warm/cold/rainy/sunny. And it all has to go into one bag and carry on.

We've done this before. For the cruise portion, I use one pair of "slinky" black pants and two tops (1 blue and 1 purple). Then I dress it up with scarves. I'll take two pair of light shorts for the cruise, which goes to the Caribbean. That's the same dress up plan for the land tour. I have a three piece washable black suit from TravelSmith. I also have grey and tan pants. I buy tops with these three colors. One dark grey sweater and a light rainproof jacket without lining (I use the sweater underneath if I need it). I take 6 pair of underpants and three bras .One bathing suit and I use one of the T-shirts as a cover up. For shoes; comfortable black walking shoes, which I also wear on the boat with the slacks. I have bad feet and just forget the little slinky sandals. Then walking sandals.

I have found that as long as you look appropriate, no one is going to care if you don't have on high heels. And we even have space left for souvenirs.

Tip- Purex makes a washing "strip" that is great for handwashing. I cut each strip in half and it will wash a large sink of clothes.

This isn't a bad list, but I can see a couple places where you could cut back:

Are your evening dresses long? If so, lose the formal heels -- wear the flats instead.

If the dresses are long, the shoes won't really show anyway.

You could go the other direction and lose the flats, but I suspect they're more versitile.

Lots of evening pants; I'd cut it down to two pair that'll match all your tops.

These are worn for only 2-3 hours each evening, so they can be worn multiple times before washing.

You could lose one top in each category and still be well-stocked.

Are "swimmers" what I call swim suits?

If so, you could cut back to three and still not need to put on a wet suit.

I would like more than one coverup though.

You could do with only one sun hat.

Undies are nothing to wash out in the sink, or bring a big ziplock as a "washing machine".

Use the yucky shampoo that the cruise ship provides as soap.

Six pairs of socks? Three pairs of tights? I'd bring one pair for my exercise shoes. I see no point in tights on a cruise.

Four books . . . consider a Kindle. I have over 600 books on mine, and it takes less space than one single paperback. It's one of my favorite things on earth.

Guide books take up space, and you probably only need a portion of 1-2 chapters. Rip out the pages you need and bring them. Or if you can't bring yourself to destroy the books, xerox the necessary pages. Or if you go with the Kindle and already own the guide books, scan the pages and email them to your Kindle.

Toiletries, meds, first aid -- don't skimp on these. They're expensive to buy on the ship, and the stores aren't always open. I keep one of those SuMTuWThFSa pill dispensers filled with over-the-counter meds; it packs so much smaller than the original bottles.

Personally, I'm not questioning the need for two pair of sunglasses. As I get older, my eyes are awful. I need my bifocals, but I prefer my reading glasses for . . . well, reading. I love my prescription sunglasses, but I also have sunglass readers as well. I suspect people middle-aged and beyond understand the need for multiple pairs.

The key to packing light and still packing well is to check and double-check to be sure that you don't leave anything behind. Lay out each outfit and see that you have the right accessories, the best-fitting bra, etc. If your outfit is "just right", you won't wish you had other options.

ok, 2nd pack = 18kg

mini first aid kit, mini makeup, shawl and cardi still to go in. pair of black trousers might sneak in :eek: I'll try to resist!

fashion jewellery, meds, cameras, chargers and choc (had a FB message from friend working on Voyager's Dreamworks installation from Mon for some Cadburys, she's been out of the UK for 6 mths) still to go in to hand luggage.

need to download a couple of books to netbook

nearly there :D

My honeymoon cruise was 2 weeks. We packed for less than a week and did not check any bags while flying.

I agree with the others - find tops that you can mix and match. I have worn a top with a sweater in the evening and then wore the same top to port the following day.

Use laundry deals on long cruises. I would rather pay $25 to do a large bag of wash then to lug a giant suitcase.

Cut it down to 3 sets of shoes - flip flops, semi formal and something good for walking. Bringing your own toiletries is fine, but use the small 3oz travel bottles and fill them with your regular products.

Plus, you'll be paying $25 or more to check in the bag on the plane EACH way = $50 versus $25 for a load of laundry on the ship ...

Plus, you'll be paying $25 or more to check in the bag on the plane EACH way = $50 versus $25 for a load of laundry on the ship ...

I have hold luggage of up to 20kg included, no extra change

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Consider replacing the books with an ebook - if you have a smart phone it will do the job.

Take travel (sample) size toiletries. If it's reasonable to expect suitable brands in any of the ports you could plan on topping up mid voyage. It may cost a bit more, but plan on buying your sunscreen aboard ship or in port.

You could consider buying one of the hats aboard ship, may be even a top or two. Save the packing and get a couple of souvenirs to boot.

Use your carry on allowance. I like to pack shoes and heavier clothing in a carry on bag. (Keep in mind the banned items.)

Archived