How do I cut down on my cruise packing?

sophiesnores

on a 15 nighter but Easyjet flight out = 20kg max:(

shoes - 1 pair formal heels, 1 pair smart flats, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair sandals, travel in Vans as heaviest

formal - 3 dresses plus holdieinnie undies:eek: !

evenings - 1 pair smart black trousers, 1 pair smart white trousers, 1 pair smart grey trousers, 1 pair smart knee length shorts, 1 pair 3/4 trousers, 5 shirts, 5 pretty tops, 5 pretty tees

day - sea days - 3 pairs shorts, 5 vest tops, 4 swimmers, 1 sundress/coverup

day - ports (Egypt/Jordan) 1 pair linen trousers, 3 vest tops, 2 long linen shirts

15 pairs white undies, 3 white bras, same in black, 6 pairs socks, 3 pairs tights, 2 sun hats, 2 sunglasses, 1 cardi, 1 thin shawl, chargers, netbook, adapters, scented bin liners for dirty laundry

toiletries, sun cream, jewellery, clothes pegs n wash, 2x guide books, 4 books, meds, tea bags, travel water bottle, travel mug, sweeties for cabin attendant/waiters, notebook n pencils

that's the plan, so how come I end up with much much more, have to pack, unpack, repack 3 times and come home with unworn clothes?!!:confused:

any ideas on how to pack light and keep it light ( managed 3 nights in France on carry on only last month so why can't I cruise light?), my packing willpower is fading! doesn't help that I have 30kg on Emirates coming home and keep comparing the weight limits!

No real suggestions, but since you have some white pants....do NOT wear white undies! Bring some "tan/beige/nude"...white will show like a light under white outer garments!

As long as you don't go over weight limits, pack what you want!

And, try to figure out what you'll be wearing at the beginning of the trip, so you aren't digging to the bottom of the suitcase for things! Pack in the order in which you'll wear things, as best as possible!

Good luck!

20 Kg is actually quite a lot (~44 lbs). I've never had a bag that heavy, no matter where I travel.

I would cut:

1 pr white pants (they get dirty horribly fast)

Sweeties for crew (money weighs nothing and is more appreciated)

The tops - you are bringing 15 tops on a 15 day cruise. Cut out half of them

In addition, you are bringing eight vest tops (tanks) Bring only four

I would keep the two linen shirts You can layer the vest tops under them.

Flip flops - are they really needed? Can you substitute the sandals instead of the Flip flops?

Take only two swimsuits

You do not need six bras. I agree, bring neutral/beige if you have them. I'd take at most two neutral/white and two black

Cut the # of panties in half

I would not bring the "smart knee length shorts" Stick with the pants and capris

Why do you need two sun hats?

All those books are heavy. I usually just photocopy the pages I need out of the guidebook and leave the heavy book at home.

I don't see any nightclothes on your list

Why do you need scented bin liners?

You can always send clothes out to be washed; it's not very expensive and it's better than bringing too many things.

If this was my list, I'd be cutting more and throwing in a broomstick skirt that can be twisted up and thrown in a suitcase. Very handy item as it works in every port and for dinner.

Tha Fashion and Beauty Board has many threads about packing light.

Do not pack for a 15day vacation. Pack for two 7 day vacations or three 5 day vacations. The obvious exception to this is daily meds, sunscren and daily toiletries.

Can some tops be used for day and night?

ie Vest Shirt ( I'm assuming this is a tank top in the US) with the cardigan at night, then worn the next day?

Do you need flip flops and sandals? Or get rid of the Formal heels and wear your flats or sandals. No one will care. Any formal pix can be taken waist up. ;) (I wear black 'ballet flat' walking shoes.)

Bring one or two books and check out the library onboard. All the ships I've been on have an informal book exchange for pax. It might be a good time to buy or borrow an e-reader. Sometimes no extra chargers are needed. My Kindle and Blackberry use the same micro USB charger.

Use ship's laundry. Remember the ship washes and dries on hot. Some ships have self serve laundries.

Lower the number of bras and undies, beige being most practical.

Get rid of the travel mug if only wanted for onboard.

One formal dress. Change the accessories. Or not as everyone is in the same boat.:p

What about toiletries/makeup/meds? Condense and repackage as much as possible. Travel size containers for toiletries, limit the amount of makeup.

Don't skimp on the sunscreen.

20 Kg is actually quite a lot (~44 lbs). I've never had a bag that heavy, no matter where I travel.

I would cut:

1 pr white pants (they get dirty horribly fast)

I agree. Bring dark color.

Sweeties for crew (money weighs nothing and is more appreciated)

The tops - you are bringing 15 tops on a 15 day cruise. Cut out half of them

I agree. Wash them out and rewear.

In addition, you are bringing eight vest tops (tanks) Bring only four

I would keep the two linen shirts You can layer the vest tops under them.

Compromise IMO and make it six. If you are in warm weather, you need to wash after each wearing and it could take a while for them to dry if you are handwashing in your cabin and hanging to dry. If you will send out to ship's laundry, four will do nicely.

Flip flops - are they really needed? Can you substitute the sandals instead of the Flip flops?

Take only two swimsuits

Two are plenty. Wear one and have one drying.

You do not need six bras. I agree, bring neutral/beige if you have them. I'd take at most two neutral/white and two black

Again, I agree. I stopped buying white bras. I only wear nude and black. Nude bra goes under everything but white does not.

Cut the # of panties in half

I would not bring the "smart knee length shorts" Stick with the pants and capris

Again, I agree. Wear Capris.

Why do you need two sun hats?

All those books are heavy. I usually just photocopy the pages I need out of the guidebook and leave the heavy book at home.

I don't see any nightclothes on your list

Why do you need scented bin liners?

You can always send clothes out to be washed; it's not very expensive and it's better than bringing too many things.

If this was my list, I'd be cutting more and throwing in a broomstick skirt that can be twisted up and thrown in a suitcase. Very handy item as it works in every port and for dinner.

Again I agree about the broomstick. They are fabulous to have. A black broomstick shirt, a black tank top and a wrap can take you to lots of situations.

Shoes: 1) wedge sandals that can be used as flip-flops 2) comfortable shoes good for a day of sightseeing 3) semi-formal shoes

Formal: do you really need 3 formal dresses? Don't you have a pair of nice black slacks or a black skirt that you can wear with 3 evening tops?

Every day: 3 bottoms that can be worn with all tops.

Nobody will know/remember what jewelry you wore. Bring only for formal days if needed for your tops.

Why do you need 7 shirts? And 2 sunglasses? Do you lose them?

FOUR books in addition to tour guides? Honey, don't you know there is a library?

Sweeties for cabin attendants? Now there is a "must bring"! They don't have any room for your... ummm... creations, and by the way, they eat well, and don't need sweeties, they need hard cash.

Again I agree about the broomstick. They are fabulous to have. A black broomstick shirt, a black tank top and a wrap can take you to lots of situations.

What is a broomstick skirt please?

Thanks for all advice and suggestions all far :)

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Well, first let me say that I pack light to avoid checking my luggage when flying and, we both like to get off the ship ASAP and thus,we carry off our luggage and get off early. (Hate waiting around in a lounge for hours.)

My advice is pack first in a laundry basket about a week or so before you leave. Throw in everything you think you will need. Then, when you are ready to load the suitcase, start rethinking the clothes and shoes, etc. Remember that you can do light laundry in the bathroom and that most ships have some sort of laundry.One formal outfit, who cares??? Go light on the make up. Leave expensive jewelry at home. Bring a NOOK for reading. I think you get the picture. Mostly, what I am saying is bring what is necessary, leave the rest at home. Chances are you won't miss it.

And, while I am on it, many of these threads talk about all the things you need to take. Some will argue with me but I'd forget the over the shower thingy, room and door decorations, power strip, computer, heavy camera, tons of books (NOOK or another E reader will make life easier). That's all for now. Have fun.

I may have missed where you are cruising to but you can definitely cut that number down. I disagree with the cutting out of the white pants. They look chic. Never had a problem with them getting dirty. Get rid of at least half those shirts and some of the shoes.

Finally, roll everything. You will get more in the suitcase.

I may have missed where you are cruising to but you can definitely cut that number down. I disagree with the cutting out of the white pants. They look chic. Never had a problem with them getting dirty. Get rid of at least half those shirts and some of the shoes.

Finally, roll everything. You will get more in the suitcase.

Repositioning via Suez, only 4 port days excl embark n disembark.

Just remembered that RCI do a laundry bag deal with Diamond discount so can def cut down on undies tanks n tees.

RCI toiletries not very good so need to bring my own.

Have friends who were crew on RCI and they always asked me to bring chocolate, this is in addition to tips.

Have added kindle reader and music to netbook so will use that instead of books n mp3

I've already cut back on shoes :eek: will try to lose another pair.

Not weighed packed case yet (2.7kg empty) so might be worrying over nothing! :) or have more cutting back to do! :(

Cheers

I do not recommend the wash and fold, except for mens underwear, pajamas and perhaps gym wear. Unless you don't care that all your clothing is washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. Most of what we sent out (we didn't know it was wash special day) cost us extra to send back and have pressed. When I sat down and figured out what the cost would have been to just send it regular laundry w/pressing (what we wanted in the first place), the wash and fold was only $1 less, we ended up paying about $10 more to have shirts pressed. It almost ruined several of my husbands good Tommy Bahama shirts.

I'd take the white pants, reduce the number of tops, underwear, bras, books. Take no more than 2 formal dresses, wear one to #1 and #3 dinners, I'll bet you'll see more than half the women onboard doing the same.

It's a bit scary to pack light the first time, so many people want a selection and choices. But, it's all about the travel and not a fashion show, especially a long cruise. Packing light and looking good is achievable as long as you pack nice clothing.

Finally, I don't understand why you need all those books? Can't you download them onto your netbook?

My honeymoon cruise was 2 weeks. We packed for less than a week and did not check any bags while flying.

I agree with the others - find tops that you can mix and match. I have worn a top with a sweater in the evening and then wore the same top to port the following day.

Use laundry deals on long cruises. I would rather pay $25 to do a large bag of wash then to lug a giant suitcase.

Cut it down to 3 sets of shoes - flip flops, semi formal and something good for walking. Bringing your own toiletries is fine, but use the small 3oz travel bottles and fill them with your regular products.

a crinkle skirt -- designed to look wrinkled. To dry you would roll it up and wrap it around a broom stick. I have several casual dresses this style and they are great for travel!

I have several "wrinkle tops" or seer sucker type tops that are similar to the skirt and are great for traveling. Unless your linen clothes look alright a little rumpled, or you are prepared to pay for pressing, I would rethink such a high maintenance fabric.

I agree with taking fewer shoes, and only two formal outfits. If one of the two is a bit more neutral, perhaps you could significantly change the look of it with a shawl or jewelery.

I usually pack undies last and stuff it into nooks and crannys. Anything that doesn't fit inside the suitcase goes in the outer pockets. That way you may be able to take enough for the whole trip and not have to send it out or wash in the sink. I also stuff socks and pantyhose in any dressier shoes to help keep their shape.

Happy packing!

Wow! What a lot in that small case! :eek: I've a long way to go!

This a great video. The last few cruises I've taken I've used this packing method. I couldn't believe how much I got in my 18" carry on. I always worry about the airline loosing my checked luggage, so I pack as much as I can in my carry on. I always have good intentions of packing light, but always looking for ways to take everything I want to.

on a 15 nighter but Easyjet flight out = 20kg max:(

shoes - 1 pair formal heels, 1 pair smart flats, 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair sandals, travel in Vans as heaviest

formal - 3 dresses plus holdieinnie undies:eek:!

1 formal dress

evenings - 1 pair smart black trousers, 1 pair smart white trousers, 1 pair smart grey trousers, 1 pair smart knee length shorts, 1 pair 3/4 trousers, 5 shirts, 5 pretty tops, 5 pretty tees

day - ports (Egypt/Jordan) 1 pair linen trousers, 3 vest tops, 2 long linen shirts

1 pr shorts, 0 vest tops, 1 swimmer, 1 sundress

0 linen trousers, 0 vest tops, 0 linen shirts

I'd stick with just what you have listed for evenings, I never changed from what I wore in the daytime except on formal night.

15 pairs white undies, 3 white bras, same in black, 6 pairs socks, 3 pairs tights, 2 sun hats, 2 sunglasses, 1 cardi, 1 thin shawl, chargers, netbook, adapters, scented bin liners for dirty laundry

toiletries, sun cream, jewellery, clothes pegs n wash, 2x guide books, 4 books, meds, tea bags, travel water bottle, travel mug, sweeties for cabin attendant/waiters, notebook n pencils

that's the plan, so how come I end up with much much more, have to pack, unpack, repack 3 times and come home with unworn clothes?!!:confused:

any ideas on how to pack light and keep it light ( managed 3 nights in France on carry on only last month so why can't I cruise light?), my packing willpower is fading! doesn't help that I have 30kg on Emirates coming home and keep comparing the weight limits!

The items in blue are what I would cut to. The items in red I would do away with. You are taking way too many items.

Edited to add, just read your last post Sophie, good going. You can do it! Have a great trip!

1 pr shorts, 0 vest tops, 1 swimmer, 1 sundress

0 linen trousers, 0 vest tops, 0 linen shirts

The items in blue are what I would cut to. The items in red I would do away with. You are taking way too many items.

Edited to add, just read your last post Sophie, good going. You can do it! Have a great trip!

I think I forgot to mention, only 4 port days - 10 sea days (repositioning cruise) so I need a couple of swimmers at least (don't like putting them on wet) and a couple pair of shorts (always have food spills) plus you've done away with my Egypt/Jordan cover ups:eek:

will repack tomorrow :) needs to be hold luggage as Easyjet is v strict on size of (only allowed 1) carry on and I need to get handbag/netbook/gadgets/meds/paperwork/small amt costume jewelery/swimmers/shorts/tee etc into it

Depending upon how much you love or do not love formal nights, there are opportunities to cut back. One might wear a black dress twice with very different accessories, like a scarf one night and a necklace another. Or a fancy top over the dress or dress pants.

I can't get past the fact that you own 6 bras! I own a white one and a black one. :D

Generally, when I pack for any type of trip, I discount the first day and last day. So in your case, I would pack for 14 days, not 16.

Archived