Disembarking in Southampton with LOTs of Luggage/Meeting family to load up car...

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the QM2 at the end of May from NYC --> Southampton. I've been trying to find an answer to this for days but come up short. I have about 16 bags and boxes and tubs of most of my possesions (I'm moving to The U.K. for good) and am traveling by myself.

So from what I understand, unloading in Brooklyn is no problem, they just take the stuff from the car and deliver it to my stateroom. Before arriving in Southampton, I tag all my bags and they're taken away in the middle of the night.

However what happens once I disembark in Southampton? Where do I get all of my stuff? Even more important, where can I meet my wife and brother in law with the car to load up all my stuff? (It's about 600lbs total). Can they meet me in the Cruise terminal and help me wheel it out?

I can't find any information about private passenger pick up, only parking spaces. I understand there are trolleys in Southampton, are these in an area where my family can meet me?

Cheers,

Sam

What an interesting question!

There are trollies at whatever terminal you berth at; but these will be the 'two suitcase' push-along variety and therefore not suitable for your purposes.

Presumably Cunard know about the amount of luggage you're bringing? Assuming they do, I would have thought your best bet would be to discuss the issue with them. They should be able to put you in touch with a firm of Southampton stevedores would will do the job for you. There'll be a cost for that, of course, but at least it will get done. They would also be able to move your good to the car park where you're being met.

Finally, I wonder about customs. Have you thought about how you're going to get everything through them? Again, the assistance of the professional firm would help enormously.

Is your crossing leaving New York on the 29th May? If so I think the ship gets into Southampton on the 5th June which is the day of the three Cunard Queens Royal Rendezvous. It's going to be very busy in Southampton on that day.

I think your cruise terminal is the Ocean terminal?

Ocean Cruise Terminal

Cruise Information Desk:Telephone 023 8033 0730

Parking:A short stay car park is available for drop off and pick up of passengers.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/site/cruise-passenger-and-crew-information/cruise-terminal-facilities

What an interesting question!

There are trollies at whatever terminal you berth at; but these will be the 'two suitcase' push-along variety and therefore not suitable for your purposes.

Presumably Cunard know about the amount of luggage you're bringing? Assuming they do, I would have thought your best bet would be to discuss the issue with them. They should be able to put you in touch with a firm of Southampton stevedores would will do the job for you. There'll be a cost for that, of course, but at least it will get done. They would also be able to move your good to the car park where you're being met.

Finally, I wonder about customs. Have you thought about how you're going to get everything through them? Again, the assistance of the professional firm would help enormously.

Hi Tom! Thanks so much for the reply. I called Cunard and let them know exactly what I was taking--I told them number of pieces, total weight, everything. they even offered to split my bed into two twins to make it easy for room for storage (e.g. stacking stuff on the unused bed).

From what I read and researched, by the time you disembark, your stuff has already gone through customs--you just walk through and find it in a lounge on the other side? Or is that not the case?

I'll look into professional firms, but sure hope it's not necessary--I've never done an Ocean liner before. I would think there would be a "passenger pick up point" would be available and I could meet my family and we could move my stuff into my brother-in-law's car!

So glad I found this forum.

THanks!

Is your crossing leaving New York on the 29th May? If so I think the ship gets into Southampton on the 5th June which is the day of the three Cunard Queens Royal Rendezvous. It's going to be very busy in Southampton on that day.

I think your cruise terminal is the Ocean terminal?

Ocean Cruise Terminal

Cruise Information Desk:Telephone 023 8033 0730

Parking:A short stay car park is available for drop off and pick up of passengers.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/site/cruise-passenger-and-crew-information/cruise-terminal-facilities

Hi Ray--Indeed that is the cruise--arriving June 5th, in the Ocean Terminal docks 46/47.

Thanks for the phone number--I think that'll be very useful. I gutted their websites frontwards and backwards and couldn't find anything to answer my questions (which I admit are a bit specific, but there must be lots of people in my situation?) hence finding this forum.

Cheers!

Hi Tom! Thanks so much for the reply. I called Cunard and let them know exactly what I was taking--I told them number of pieces, total weight, everything. they even offered to split my bed into two twins to make it easy for room for storage (e.g. stacking stuff on the unused bed).

From what I read and researched, by the time you disembark, your stuff has already gone through customs--you just walk through and find it in a lounge on the other side? Or is that not the case?

THanks!

for those with a couple of bags it is normal.... but since you are moving there you may have to have a separate inspection

I am sure there will be porters to assist getting your things to the curb or parking area (for a fee ) ;)

I wonder why Cunard would not store your stuff in the hold someplace rather than cluttering up your cabin :confused:

Seems rather odd they would stack all that in your space as it could be come a hazard

When you come off the ship after you have been called for disembarkation, you collect your luggage from the luggage hall, loading it onto a trolley - then you go through customs - normally quite easy - which will lead you out to the passenger arrivals area. Anyone meeting you, are usually waiting outside with the car. We have always been through at about 9.00 - 9.30. If I remember correctly, there are porters who can help you with extra trolleys in the luggage collection area. Perhaps someone else could confirm?

LHT28--yes I did find out Southampton has porters to help--they don't take a fee but you obviously give them a good tip. What I was concerned about if the parking area was far from the place I finally collect my bags.

Morgans--Thanks, that's making sense. So up to me to get (looks like with porter's help) to collect luggage, through customs and out to passenger arrivals.

From reading Southampton's official website they made no mention of passenger arrivals or where cars can pick people up. They just mention short term parking and have a (broken) link where to reserve a parking space. :/

I'm assuming since you go through customs, that's the point of no return--which means you can't make mulitple trips from the luggage collection area, it's all gotta go at one time, right?

Thanks much all, you're a big help!

Ocean terninal, only used one

There is a drive up pickup point outside the baggage halls.

This will be very busy, there are porters which is probably going to be the easiest.

I suggest once on board talk to the ship about logistics at Southampton, it will be easier if your stuff is offloaded all together for the ship you and any customs inspection

try to get yourself a disembarkation time so you can call the pickup and they can time their arrival.

If you look at the picture on these links the drive through pickup is under the canopy

http://www.southamptoncruisecentre.com/southampton-cruise-terminals.phtml#Ocean-Cruise-Terminal

http://abparking.co.uk/directions/ocean_terminal

Ocean terninal, only used one

There is a drive up pickup point outside the baggage halls.

This will be very busy, there are porters which is probably going to be the easiest.

I suggest once on board talk to the ship about logistics at Southampton, it will be easier if your stuff is offloaded all together for the ship you and any customs inspection

try to get yourself a disembarkation time so you can call the pickup and they can time their arrival.

If you look at the picture on these links the drive through pickup is under the canopy

http://www.southamptoncruisecentre.com/southampton-cruise-terminals.phtml#Ocean-Cruise-Terminal

http://abparking.co.uk/directions/ocean_terminal

Thanks--that's perfect, knowing they can drive right in.

I'm on the 5th deck so I'll be last to disembark--I believe that'll be around 9:30-10:00AM from all I've read (they start top decks and work down).

Looking at the pictures...the terminal looks kinda...tiny! Hopefully it won't be as crazy Ray66 mentioned on June 5th. Wonder if it's worth it for me wait a while and have them come an hour later so there's less traffic and craziness going on?

OK now how to figure out phone access--I hear there are no payphones at all in the terminal or lounge so I'll have to rely in the kindness of strangers!

As for putting luggage in the hold LHT28, that's not possible. The extra bed I'll throw duffel bags and some plastic tubs--they mentioned not to stack anything high on the bed for the obvious reasons.

As for putting luggage in the hold LHT28, that's not possible. The extra bed I'll throw duffel bags and some plastic tubs--they mentioned not to stack anything high on the bed for the obvious reasons.

I checked their website & saw you have to keep everything in your cabin

That is too bad but I guess the steward will bring a cart & take everything at once the last night

Have a safe trip ...I am sure everything will work out in the end

I checked their website & saw you have to keep everything in your cabin

That is too bad but I guess the steward will bring a cart & take everything at once the last night

Have a safe trip ...I am sure everything will work out in the end

Yup...they'll take everything at night and to one place. It doesn't bother me a bit, I don't plan on being in my stateroom except for sleeping, there's too much cool stuff to do on the ship!

Thanks--that's perfect, knowing they can drive right in.

I'm on the 5th deck so I'll be last to disembark--I believe that'll be around 9:30-10:00AM from all I've read (they start top decks and work down).

Looking at the pictures...the terminal looks kinda...tiny! Hopefully it won't be as crazy Ray66 mentioned on June 5th. Wonder if it's worth it for me wait a while and have them come an hour later so there's less traffic and craziness going on?

OK now how to figure out phone access--I hear there are no payphones at all in the terminal or lounge so I'll have to rely in the kindness of strangers!

You can buy cheap unlocked quad band phones and payg UK sim cards of ebay.

You can buy cheap unlocked quad band phones and payg UK sim cards of ebay.

That's a brilliant idea! Thanks so much. I have no idea what it means but I'll google it--I've never owned a cellphone before in my life and I heard that U.S. phones don't work in the U.K.

So basically you mean buy a cheapie pay as you go UK phone & a UK card?

Cheers,

Sam.

If you have a word with the cabin steward I would think they will come up with a plan to ease the situation.

Thank you insidecabin, I'll definitely do that. I'm going through all my stuff right and and repacking and it's looking better and better. (more compact and less weight).

It's amazing a year ago I started with about 10,000 lbs of "stuff" in two different homes and now have condensed all my belongings for my new life to under 500 lbs!

Archived