Clothes for Alaska Cruise

cstreece

I am wondering what people really wear on an Alaska cruise...I understand the dinner clothes, but how cold is it outside on the ship deck? We are going in mid-July but we're Texans and our blood is thin. I am thinking fleece pants and optional layers...fleece vest and zip-up fleece coat. Certainly a rain slicker and an umbrella. More than one pair of comfortable walking shorts? We will be coming from 100-degree+ weather. I understand rubber-soled shoes. Will we need gloves and hats? We love the outdoors and hope to use our suite verandah a LOT.

I would recommend gloves and a hat - they're light and easy to pack, and there are days (and nights) you might want them on the ship. I occasionally wore a hat and gloves out on deck - I was glad to have them, but I would have still been out there without them. I don't think you'll need more than 1 pair of shorts - on my Alaskan cruise (July) I don't think anyone was wearing shorts on board since it was a little too cool and windy for that. I thought of it primarily as "jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt" weather on the moving ship - I needed a fleece jacket to be on deck some days but not others. On shore, though, there were a few days of wearing tank tops, and there were definitely other passengers who wore shorts for some shore trips.

Don't forget your sunglasses!

We found the temperatures on deck last July to be mild, kind of on the cusp between shorts weather and pants weather. There were days though where it got windy and fairly cold. In the towns it was often warm enough for shorts, but it rained in one town. Dress in layers though because it varies a lot. On deck while in Glacier Bay, for example, can be quite cold.

I wore twill type pants, a long sleeved ( that could be rolled up) blouse, a vest and SOCKS with waling shoes for most shore excursions. I took sandals for evening and wished I had closed toe shoes, my feet were cold.

My sister took a leather jacket, big mistake. She bought a quilted jacket at one of our stops. We also used dollar store ponchos that we could put on in the rain ( used them twice) and toss on the way back onto the ship.

I took way too summery type clothes. Did not wear shorts once. I did take a zippered "hoodie" and used it many times.

I needed more socks and another pair of walking type shoes.

We took wool type scarves and gloves. I was glad we had them.

We also borrowed a pool blanket to use on the balcony.

Connie

Hats & gloves - especially for glacier viewing and possibly some excursions.

Thin layers are best, so you can shed.

Jeans are fine in AK and the most popular on & off the ship. But we find scotchguarding is a good idea - especially in Ketchikan.

I'm not a fan of ponchos, but some are. I prefer a waterproof jacket long enough to cover your bum. Waterproof shoes are a good idea too.

We always go to Alaska in May or August. Last year in May we were in Skagway and it was the hottest day ever, in the high 80's, my husband was glad that I packed a pair of shorts.

It comes down to what you are used to, I always take a windbreaker for us in case it rains. My husband wears a long sleeved tshirt under a shirt, so it is removable. I wear capri length pants with a top with 3/4 sleeves and we never wear a jacket. That is what we are used to, but traveling with his Mom, she froze on the ship. So use your own knowledge of yourself because like I said, it comes down to What kind of weather you are used to and how you need to dress. Have a great trip, it is amazing there. I am going for the 7th time in a month. :D

We've been to Alaska 3 times; going again in a month. I'd leave the shorts at home -- there were only 2-3 days in those trips where shorts might have been comfortable.

Expect most folks on the ship and in the towns to be dressed more casually than the cruise line "dress code" might indicate. Lots of jeans, sweatshirts, t-shirts. Be prepared for quick changes -- we found it chilly on the ship and just getting off, but once in town (out of the wind) it would warm up and we'd be peeling off layers of clothes.

We didn't bring a scarf or gloves for the first trip ...now they're ready to go. Really nice to have when you're on deck, whale or glacier watching.

I have a nice sweater I bought on that first trip -- because we didn't pack appropriately! :o which has gone back with me on each subsequent trip, and I've got it ready to pack again. :)

We went in June and found it quite comfortable, but we are Canucks so that says a lot. Be prepared with light layers and have a pair of gloves and earcovering whehter a hat or headband for deck wear. Take a water repellent ( not resistant ) jacket that is large enough to wear over your top layers. I found a great one that folds up into its own envelope and is easy to transport. One of the things we liked were the zippered pants that allow you to convert to shorts or capris- then you are always ready and no more room is used in your luggage. Of course quick dry socks are a must.

Ciao,

Nikki

Archived