Is a balcony worth an extra $1000?

I would not pay that much for a balcony on a Bermuda cruise. Do watch prices...you are now a bit past final payment...if RCI has too many balconies they might decrease the price...such sales are sometimes marked "new reservations only" so you do not really qualify, but if you call in and ask, there is a chance resolutions will allow you to upgrade if you are paying more (hopefully well less than $1000:eek:).

That was my question?:confused:

I was just thinking about my own question.

If you buy the wine package and don't finish the bottle at dinner, you can take the bottle with you when you leave the MDR.

So I suppose that you could just order an extra bottle in the MDR against your wine package and take it, un opened, back to your cabin.

I was just thinking about my own question.

If you buy the wine package and don't finish the bottle at dinner, you can take the bottle with you when you leave the MDR.

So I suppose that you could just order an extra bottle in the MDR against your wine package and take it, un opened, back to your cabin.

Correct. We are forced to pay the inflated prices on the ship because we are a captive audience. ;)

I like balconies, but I agree that $1000 is a lot of money. I would probably keep the money and not upgrade to the balcony. The cruise will be fun in any kind of cabin.

I agree. Sometimes I cruise in an inside cabin, sometimes a suite. The cruise is a lot of fun no matter what type of cabin I am in for the cruise.

If you are booking on smaller ships, there are many fewer balconies and so unless the ship is basically not filling, balconies will not come down that much. On the larger ships, there is far less differential between OV and balconies because balconies are the most populous cabins.

Just completed our first cruise this past March. Won the cruise and were initially supposed to have a room with ocean view. By the time we received the confirmation, we had been "upgraded" to a room with a balcony. I believe that was a calculated move on the part of RCCI to get us hooked ... and it worked!!!

We really didn't use the balcony very much. My husband was always lying on the bed or couch if we were in the room and only went out on the balcony if I called him to come look at something. I used it mostly for taking pictures of clouds and water (because that's all you will see if it's an at-sea day) and views from our room when at a port. The best thing about the balcony was being able to hang damp swim suits on the chairs to dry (secured by clamps). There was just enough breeze that the suits were dry by next morning. If we had not had a balcony, I'm not sure where we would have hung the swimsuits to dry - really not enough space in the bathroom and didn't want them in the closet with our dry clothes.

So all of that being said, it should only come down to your personal preference. If you feel you would spend a lot of time on your balcony to justify any extra expense, then it is worth it to you. I personally liked having the balcony mainly because I never felt closed in or claustrophobic and enjoyed being able to step outside in my pj's with some privacy. But then again, overall, we spent very little time utilizing the balcony other than drying swim suits. You can always find space away from others in so many places on the ship if that's what you prefer. But since I've never stayed in an inside room with no view at all, or an outside room with a window only, I don't know how well I could cope with that. I too will have to make the balcony or no balcony decision when we book our next cruise.

You are the only one who can determine if the cost difference is worth it or not. Enjoy your cruise !!!

$1,000.00 more for a 6 night cruise is a lot. It is also true that weather going to Bermuda can be very unpredictable.

As another poster suggested "Why not take $100.00 of that $1,000.00 and book a future cruise?" Maybe your honeymoon cruise?

With some advance planning you can likely find a balcony to experience together for your special trip at a cost that is more comfortable.

Enjoy Enchantment and Bermuda!

BF and I are going from Baltimore to Bermuda at the end of June and have a large oceanview on deck 3 booked now. I keep hoping the price of a balcony will drop but no such luck and it looks like only one D2 is left and only a handful of D1s, so if we want to switch we need to do so soon. The problem is a balcony is essentially $500 more pp than our outside room.

This is BF and my first cruise as adults so we don't know what to expect really, but we tend to keep mostly to ourselves and so I could see us really enjoying having the outdoor space to ourselves. $1000 is A LOT of money though that we could use as we'll be planning an engagement and wedding shortly but I'm still tempted.

What are people's thoughts?

I would just keep the oceanview and use the $1000 for your honeymoon cruise. I think that's alot of money to upgrade to a balcony. Just my 2 cents.

Archived