Bringing wine into Canada and then on board the Diamond?

danaruns

We are sailing on the Diamond in May, and are coming from California. Can we bring a case of wine across the border and onto the ship? I know Princess is apparently not enforcing their limit, but what about bringing alcohol into Canada? And if Princess does confiscate the wine, can we get them to serve Iti to us at dinner for a corking fee?

Anyone ever done this?

Check the official Canada Customs web pages http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

Generally there is a limit of 1.5 liters of wine (two 26 oz bottles) which is duty free. In many cases one can bring in more, but duty & taxes are applicable.

You might find it easier to purchase your wine in British Columbia. See http://www.bcliquorstores.com/ for products, pricing, and store locations.

Canada only allows the importation of 1.5 litres of wine per adult on a duty free basis. You can bring in more but the duty and taxes imposed generally make the cost pohibative....I go thru this every year coming from AZ to BC. My advice would be to bring in your 2 bottles each and then head for the closest BC Liquor Store, there are several in the downtown core but the closest to Canada Place is in Harbour Centre at the corner of Seymour and Cordova Sts. about 3 blocks away. If there on a Sunday the closest one open is at Alberini and Bute Sts. There are some private liquor stores around but they are usually more expensive then the government stores.

We boat on Lake Michigan and have wanted to stop in Canada BUT do not like their policy regarding liquor. Canadian agents searched a friend's boat when they stopped for the night at a marina. They were charged taxes on every bottle they had on their boat. The taxes were more than their slip fee. And some of us carry alot - I have three cupboards of booze. Wait - then there is my wine supply.

I've managed to bring in four bottles per person over 19 when entering to board a cruise the same day. I got a stern warning that they were only letting them come in duty-free as a "one-time exception" and that the limit was 1.5/L per adult in the future.

I've managed to bring in four bottles per person over 19 when entering to board a cruise the same day. I got a stern warning that they were only letting them come in duty-free as a "one-time exception" and that the limit was 1.5/L per adult in the future.

You were very fortunate because the options that are given to you generally are:

- pay the duty and taxes

- surrender it to the Crown(and unlike a cruise ship you don't get it back when you leave the country).

-return to the other side of the border and dispose of it....now at the airport how are you going to do that or after sitting in line at the border for an hour or more in a car are you going back?

Canada only allows the importation of 1.5 litres of wine per adult on a duty free basis.

Note that "adult" is determined by the age restriction of the province that you are going to and not by US law. The age in BC is 19, so if you have a 19 or 20 year old with you, you can get 2 additional bottles in duty free using their allotment.

Archived