Bon Voyage vs Bar

Jimi123

Suppose I only like to drink Rum and Coke throughout the whole cruise. How big is the savings if I order a bottle from Bon Voyage for $60 and bring my own soda vs flat out buying the mixed drink at the bar all week long? Assume that I'll mix at the same ratio as the bar.

Suppose I only like to drink Rum and Coke throughout the whole cruise. How big is the savings if I order a bottle from Bon Voyage for $60 and bring my own soda vs flat out buying the mixed drink at the bar all week long? Assume that I'll mix at the same ratio as the bar.

That is a really good question. I am curious to know this as well. Perhaps I should go out and buy a bottle to test out this theory. All in the name of science of course. :p

If you get Cruzan rum, it is only $50.00. So, if you can deal with a cheaper brand...go with Cruzan!

It would be much cheaper to buy the bottle from BV and mix in your room. I paid anywhere from $7 single, up to $12 double for a crown and coke. We smuggled using our RR's, this was great for drinks while getting ready for dinner or relaxing on the balcony. To constantly go back to your room to mix a drink you need to be very dedicated, I'm not that dedicated!:p:p

Prices run from $5.70(including tip) to $8 for one drink with a 1 to 1.5 oz shot.

A quart has 32 oz in it so $60 divided by 32 is $1.88 per drink for 1oz or $2.86 per 1.5 oz drink. Figure you paid $6 for a 12 pack of coke and use 1/2 can per drink.. is $.25 per drink. So the most expensive drink would be $3.11 WITHOUT tip. No brainer for me.

21 drinks at $8 per = $168 or 21 drinks at $3.11 per = $65.31

You could buy almost 3 bottles at the drink price from the bar!

It is a much better deal with a BV bottle. I drink rum straight and occasionally with coke. I do the same, a few BV bottles of Goslings and carry-on coke. I do not run back to the room as I carry a flask or bottle and some cokes with me in my tote bag. The bag also has my books, sunglasses etc. It goes where I go.

The last cruise was on the Legend and I found the Enchanted Forest area a great place to drink and read during the day, calm, quiet and nice windows.

Prices run from $5.70(including tip) to $8 for one drink with a 1 to 1.5 oz shot.

A quart has 32 oz in it so $60 divided by 32 is $1.88 per drink for 1oz or $2.86 per 1.5 oz drink. Figure you paid $6 for a 12 pack of coke and use 1/2 can per drink.. is $.25 per drink. So the most expensive drink would be $3.11 WITHOUT tip. No brainer for me.

Great info! I'm going to call and add a bottle of Jack to the room!

It would be much cheaper to buy the bottle from BV and mix in your room. I paid anywhere from $7 single, up to $12 double for a crown and coke. We smuggled using our RR's, this was great for drinks while getting ready for dinner or relaxing on the balcony. To constantly go back to your room to mix a drink you need to be very dedicated, I'm not that dedicated!:p:p

I purposely chose our upcoming cabin based on LIDO to Cabin distance ratio so that we could easily go back to cabin to refill the 32 oz tumblers :)

Bon Voyage bottle option ROCKS. I truely saved so much money. I bought the occasional drink when I wanted something besides my rum and coke. My last sail and Sign was $80. have a great criuse. :)

I think I recall seeing someone's detailed analyzation of this, perhaps even an Excel spreadsheet! BV bottle definitley saves moola vs. purchasing individual drinks on board. We do a little of both, actually we sometimes bring a little of our own as well.

I purposely chose our upcoming cabin based on LIDO to Cabin distance ratio so that we could easily go back to cabin to refill the 32 oz tumblers :)

Oh, man... I think I have a whole new strategy for cabin selection!! :D

A quart has 32 oz in it so $60 divided by 32 is $1.88 per drink for 1oz or $2.86 per 1.5 oz drink. Figure you paid $6 for a 12 pack of coke and use 1/2 can per drink.. is $.25 per drink. So the most expensive drink would be

$3.11 WITHOUT tip. No brainer for me.

Dang......and I thought I had a drinking problem:).....that's good math ?? ....I've already had to many to figure this out......I'm going with it so I hope your math is right.

I didnt anything from BV last cruise cause of the price hikes.......in protest....smuggled everything I needed so I may keep going that route....

I like Dirty Martinis. Do you think I can get a bottle of Vermouth through under my 1 bottle of wine carry on entitlement?

Steam off the labels and print a label "Pop's Home grown wine 2010".

It is a much better deal with a BV bottle.

I carry a flask or bottle and some cokes with me in my tote bag.

BV is the way to go, usually do 2 bottles of Captain, I also bring a flask,

In addition to my flask I buy 2 packs of the airline bottles I think 8 or ten to a pack.

Day of departure from the house,I put a few in my carry on bag for the flight, Few in my camera bag, no problem as they are less then the 3 oz you are limited to on the flight..Airline gives you free soda so a win win....

Take them off the ship...take them everywhere:D

Make sure you save a few for the long trip home................

A bottle - so called fifth - is 750 ml. That equates to 25.36 ounces. A "standard" pour is 1.5 ounces (I have a servers permit:D). That equates to 17 drinks (16.90666666 but who's counting). That is $3.53 per drink without the soda. The ad in the local Walgreens has 12 pack of Coke 3 for $10 or $3.34 each divided by 2 for a 6 pack is $1.66 which amounts to $0.28 each. Total cost = $3.81 per drink. Cheapest bar drink (assuming $5.70 from a previouse poster) makes your cost $96.90 versus the BV price of $61.66 ($50 plus the $1.66 for the six pack). Decent savings but you have to consider the convenience factor. Running back to the room to get a drink everytime. However, it could help offset the bar bill which for me looks like this :eek:

A bottle - so called fifth - is 750 ml. That equates to 25.36 ounces. A "standard" pour is 1.5 ounces (I have a servers permit:D). That equates to 17 drinks (16.90666666 but who's counting). That is $3.53 per drink without the soda. The ad in the local Walgreens has 12 pack of Coke 3 for $10 or $3.34 each divided by 2 for a 6 pack is $1.66 which amounts to $0.28 each. Total cost = $3.81 per drink. Cheapest bar drink (assuming $5.70 from a previouse poster) makes your cost $96.90 versus the BV price of $61.66 ($50 plus the $1.66 for the six pack). Decent savings but you have to consider the convenience factor. Running back to the room to get a drink everytime. However, it could help offset the bar bill which for me looks like this :eek:

First the "bottle" is not a "fifth" it is a true liter (1000ml) which is just a tad over a quart (32 oz.) so it does make a BIG difference. Second you are paying to much for coke, third the $5.70 is the ONE ounce drink, the $8.00 is the 1.5 OUNCE drink. So add it all up and you have the wrong facts.:eek:

I agree! On my last Carnival cruise I took 2 of the 8 pack Coke plastic bottles (being able to re-seal the cap to save the other 1/2 for later was important for this light-weight drinker) and it was less than $7.00 for the 16 bottles. In port I restocked so that I wouldn't run out since I like my soda w/o vodka too.

Can someone please tell me how I can view the Bon Voyage list and prices??

I agree! On my last Carnival cruise I took 2 of the 8 pack Coke plastic bottles (being able to re-seal the cap to save the other 1/2 for later was important for this light-weight drinker) and it was less than $7.00 for the 16 bottles. In port I restocked so that I wouldn't run out since I like my soda w/o vodka too.

Can someone please tell me how I can view the Bon Voyage list and prices??

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/bv_liquor.htm

Thank you!

One more question: what is the smaller price listed to the right of each item? Sorry for my denseness.

That is the price of a drink thru Room Service and does not include the 15% tip, nor the "tip" you give the room service guy for bringing to the room.

Wow! Very clear! Thanks.

Archived