New terror threat against cruise ships.

It can happen -- ask Leon Klinghoffer's kids. But is it likely to happen?

Based on recent history, your ship is more likely to havean accident or mechanical breakdown. And that's not likely to happen either.

I commute to work through the World Trade Center. Place has gone through many changes since 9/11/01. It's still here and so are we.

I refuse to live my life in fear of terrorists.

Well said. I agree completely. It brings to mind my first cruise. My DW and I were booked on the Carnival Jubilee out of Tampa. We lived in KY at the time and we had our airline tickets all arranged for arrival the day before so we could overnight in Clearwater and get in some extra beach time.

Our cruise was to sail on 9/13/2001. On 9/11 I was at work, my wife was at a salon getting her nails done when the first plane hit. She called me immediately, I was in my office, and told me what she had seen. I went to the office next door where there was a TV and turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit. I knew then what this had to be.

I called my wife back and told her to take the car and get the oil changed, tires, hoses and belts checked because we would have to drive to Tampa (about 14 hours). At that point she still hadn't figured out that the airlines would not be flying for some time, but I knew that was coming. My military background already had me thinking along those lines.

We had friends and family who were agast that we were planning to take the cruise despite what had happened. My response was that I'd be damned if I was going to let those sick cowards change the way I lived my life. That is exactly what they wanted.

When we left for Tampa, no one we could reach at Carnival could tell us for sure that the ship would sail as scheduled. I'm sure they simply didn't know what sort of restrictions might be placed on travel. All the way to Tampa we called every hour until we were finally told that the ship would be sailing on schedule.

We wound up having a great cruise. The amazing thing is that even with the airline shutdown, the Hotel Director told me that about 95% of the passengers who were booked, actually made it in time. We met people who had driven from as far as Maine, several from NY, NJ, Chicago, and Boston. I don't know why, but that made me feel proud.

It turned out to be a wonderful cruise, even though we missed our first port (Key West) because of a storm that had the seas running at about 15'. We even wound up filling up the empty cabins with Americans who were stranded in Cozumel because there were no flights to the U.S.

It's odd to have such a fond memory associated with such a terrible event, but it gave me hope and faith that America would persevere, and that the terrorists would never win. And they never will.

@PunkinsDad... Thank you for sharing that memory. I believe everyone has one of that day/time period. Changed all of us forever.

I am with those that say "No way!" to feeling terrorized. In fact, they get none of my thoughts at all!

I'm grateful for the extra time at the airport/cruise port... I meet fascinating people!

I'm grateful for the increased security and restrictions for luggage... It helps me to pack more lightly!

I am more aware of everything around me now... Especially the most beautiful smiles, the amazing mountains and the incredible blue of the ocean.

I live life more in the PRESENT. Glass half full!

I will never forget what happened, but I will never be afraid.

PeaceLoveCruise

If you let them stop you from doing something you want, where does it stop? First you say,"Well I won't go to Europe because there is a threat." then something comes out about threats to cruise ships in general, so do you then not cruise at all? What about threats to malls, movie theaters, theme parks???? At some point do you just not leave your house? What rubbish. They only win if they make me live in fear and prevent me from doing what I want. I refuse to let that happen.

We often-I know I do, complain about the increase in security measures but I'm glad they are in place at US airports and cruise ports. They won't protect completely but hopefully enough to prevent this from taking place on a ship leaving a US port. Of course ports of call could be a danger. This fear of terrorism will not control me and my decisions to cruise.

So Agree, you know I say the same thing about it being a pain when you go to the airport, but you know whatever is helpful ...If that helps in keeping us "safe" so be it....I have no problems ...Funny to think how incredibly easy it was before, and now, so different...Oh well, That won't keep me from vacationing whether by plane or cruise or going to my second home (Walt Disney World) , can't stop living!

Probably not:D

Hey if were in the MDR start throwing plates like frisbees and maybe the bread rolls:p

I hear the flat iron steaks are pretty tough, might make a good blunt force weapon :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Just sayin'...

I am always amazed how many posters (not just here, but all of the forum sites) will give the vaca itinerary of loved ones that are in service to our country.

I am absolutely certain that as family members, they have received an orientation that included the importance of not broadcasting this info, esp on FB and other social networking sites.

mimi

So Agree, you know I say the same thing about it being a pain when you go to the airport, but you know whatever is helpful ...If that helps in keeping us "safe" so be it....I have no problems ...Funny to think how incredibly easy it was before, and now, so different...Oh well, That won't keep me from vacationing whether by plane or cruise or going to my second home (Walt Disney World) , can't stop living!

All of this crap that we go through at airports and everything does nothing to make us any safer. TSA fails nearly 80 percent of time at stopping weapons and other things from getting through. It is out there if people would just look it up. Americans are giving up their rights and freedoms all in the name of "safety" when they have done nothing to make us any safter.

As the old saying goes "How do you eat an elephant?? One bite at a time."

I did not post this to scare anyone or anything like that. I posted this because so many people are so involved in their everyday lives that many have not clue to what is happening in the world around them.

Complacency happens too often.

Just sayin'...

I am always amazed how many posters (not just here, but all of the forum sites) will give the vaca itinerary of loved ones that are in service to our country.

I am absolutely certain that as family members, they have received an orientation that included the importance of not broadcasting this info, esp on FB and other social networking sites.

mimi

We were oriented when DH was deployed, during that time we remain hush hush. During Iraqi Freedom we, (wives), received a special order from the high ranking officers not to give any info out at all, some wives were getting phones calls from "Arab" speaking men, not sure how they got our numbers or if we just "luck" they happened to call a military family member.

Happy Sailing,

All of this crap that we go through at airports and everything does nothing to make us any safer. TSA fails nearly 80 percent of time at stopping weapons and other things from getting through. It is out there if people would just look it up. Americans are giving up their rights and freedoms all in the name of "safety" when they have done nothing to make us any safter.

I agree 100%. What is that Ben Franklin quote? "Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither", at least I believe that's how it goes.

Taking off our shoes and not being able to carry on liquids over 3oz does NOTHING to make us safer. In my opinion, if they are asking us to do these things then they really have no idea how to stop contraband from getting on an airplane...so this is what they have to resort too. :rolleyes:

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Archived