New terror threat against cruise ships.

It certainly makes the thought of cruising in Europe a little less appealing. I've only done one Med cruise but I thought that security was somewhat lacking...

This was in 2007 and it seems like there were very few ports that you had to show your S&S card to get close to the ship, or into the terminal building.

Well there goes the thoughts of a Med Cruise for my 25th Anniversary in 3 years :(

Usually when it goes out what the terrorist had planned they abandon that plan. I would still plan it, just keep an eye out on the news.

We often-I know I do, complain about the increase in security measures but I'm glad they are in place at US airports and cruise ports. They won't protect completely but hopefully enough to prevent this from taking place on a ship leaving a US port. Of course ports of call could be a danger. This fear of terrorism will not control me and my decisions to cruise.

It can happen -- ask Leon Klinghoffer's kids. But is it likely to happen?

Based on recent history, your ship is more likely to havean accident or mechanical breakdown. And that's not likely to happen either.

I commute to work through the World Trade Center. Place has gone through many changes since 9/11/01. It's still here and so are we.

I refuse to live my life in fear of terrorists.

If they plan to seize a cruise ship - they better come with a LOT of manpower. I have to believe that as aware of surroundings we have become, a cruise ship carrying thousands of passengers is going to fight back and create lots of havoc. If only a small handful of airline passengers could derail an attack on the Capitol, consider thousands of cruisers..

Scary times we live in and thank goodness for our intelligence and miltary resources that are constantly fighting these deranged miltants.

Although I don't want to see armed guards patrolling a cruise ship it would be reassuring to know there are trained employees with access to weapons onboard. I try not to let terrorist threats affect my plans but I will avoid visiting countires that are not secure. :(

Well there goes the thoughts of a Med Cruise for my 25th Anniversary in 3 years :(

Why? If (big if) they were organized enough to get on a ship in Europe, don't you think it would be easier in the Caribbean?

Can't live life in a vacuum or the bad guys win.

My husband and I have talked about this numerous times, and a neighbor of mine refuses to cruise because of his fear of this, but my thought on it is..... if we refuse to do things out of fear of a terrorist attack, then we have let the terrorists win, only without the violance!

I would never let fears of a terrorist attack prevent me from doing things that I enjoy.... if I did, what would I really have left to do that I do enjoy?

I read this article on CNN and for a half second...I was afraid, but then I remembered that I REFUSE to let terroists win. I refuse to be afraid of what "might" happen. I refuse to change how I live for fear of another terror attack. When we as Americans begin to change how we live and go about our lives for fear of what could happen or in fear of terrorism...then they all ready won and they have accomplished their goals.

If they plan to seize a cruise ship - they better come with a LOT of manpower. I have to believe that as aware of surroundings we have become, a cruise ship carrying thousands of passengers is going to fight back and create lots of havoc. If only a small handful of airline passengers could derail an attack on the Capitol, consider thousands of cruisers..

Scary times we live in and thank goodness for our intelligence and miltary resources that are constantly fighting these deranged miltants.

Plenty of steak knifes to go around!

I agree. It will take a heck of alot of people to take over a cruise ship - lots more then it took to take down a airplane. Personally I dont see it happening. Look at all the news stories about how common every day people help out during a disturbance on planes now...people are more apt to step up now and help. We are no longer complacent. We are more viglilant.

I agree. It will take a heck of alot of people to take over a cruise ship - lots more then it took to take down a airplane. Personally I dont see it happening. Look at all the news stories about how common every day people help out during a disturbance on planes now...people are more apt to step up now and help. We are no longer complacent. We are more viglilant.

Just four people took over the Achille Lauro ship.

Not me - Leave on my Med cruise in August. I flew and went on a Hawaii cruise right after 9/11. Not letting terrorists stop me from living my life.:D

Archived