Little French Key?

Messunderstood

We just got back from going to LFK and it was our favorite place to visit! Yes there was construction but once you were playing around you didn't notice it too much. You could see all the sanctuary animals, and even hold the monkeys (tho they request you leave a tip).

There is horse back riding ($20/$40) where they will lead you thru the water, if they're not busy you can even have one of them take pics/video of you. Massages ($30/$60 [i had emailed prior and was told $50 for an hour so I would definitely recommended confirming what you're willing to pay]). You can even swim with a jaguar for $40 each (minimum 5 people they say)! If I had known that I wouldn't have done horseback riding! Oh well, I'll know for next time, and there will definitely be a next time! :D

The food here was fantastic and drinks were good. We made sure to play with all the toys included. If you can get together with 10 plus people (we made plans to meet up before we left ship that morning and even found new people to join us), even if you've already booked, you can get an additional 10% off when you're paying. Transportation is included (the only walk you do is down to where they pick you up, they will drive you all the way back up to the dock). And the drive there is very pretty. Bring small bills as every time I went to the bar they were unable (said they didn't bring change yet from the mainland...but after an hour or two wouldn't they have figured to call them for it?) to break my bills down so I could leave tips.

1978735_10102921850435152_1478870130_n.jpg.8b87f99e5691fe97c17f9a268fcd0f51.jpg

10155883_10102921850739542_711062576_n.jpg.6d34ea87d625f57655b9358b0937a2a8.jpg

10153883_10102921852106802_851409807_n.jpg.0871411e5b20623ce01fb78da4a33038.jpg

1604729_10102921852296422_278090617_n.jpg.4a4c474556e2a26a809d86c48b114bbc.jpg

1979562_10102921852471072_653900888_n.jpg.2069c9ef7c5a2699a4ead526a1ab8b1a.jpg

Looks like we may do lfk after all. With ncl not docking in roatan anymore the dream will be the only ship in port so it shouldn't be to packed

Good decision. I would SOOOO go again if we were the only ship in port. Have a great time!!

Sherri

Looks like we may do lfk after all. With ncl not docking in roatan anymore the dream will be the only ship in port so it shouldn't be to packed

I wouldn't say that NCL is not docking in Roatan "anymore". It's only been cancelled for this week only so far. It is yet to be determined anything after that. :( Also, NCL is the only one that has cancelled the port for this week with any other cruise lines (Carnival and RCL I think) not cancelling at all.

I really hope they decide to go back here until they switch to the new port. I plan on going back to LFK in November with a bunch of friends on my November roll call that I have sailed with before. I would really hate to miss it. :(

Ellusionz, were you the only ship in port that day?

Sherri

We were the only Carnival ship in port. They have their own area so I don't know what the other port had docked since its further down the Island. We went on the 3rd if you want to find that site that shows ships at different islands.

So with the construction can you still hold the monkeys and the jaguar?

There wasn't any issues, we got to hold the monkeys. The jaguar you don't get to hold, just see in the cage or if you pay extra you (with a group) you can swim with it.

There wasn't any issues, we got to hold the monkeys. The jaguar you don't get to hold, just see in the cage or if you pay extra you (with a group) you can swim with it.

Good! I saw a few pics on the web where it had people holding it so I got really excited - lol! But swimming with it would be interesting.

I know when the jaguars were babies, you use to be able to go in and hold them. Since they have grown up, I imagine that they are probably too dangerous for just every-day holding of the public. However, I have seen many pictures posted recently on their fb site with people holding them. Of course I don't know if they are visitors or people that might help take care of them. All of the pictures I have seen posted of them swimming have been with a guy who works there and takes care of them. This should be interesting. :)

I know when the jaguars were babies, you use to be able to go in and hold them. Since they have grown up, I imagine that they are probably too dangerous for just every-day holding of the public. However, I have seen many pictures posted recently on their fb site with people holding them. Of course I don't know if they are visitors or people that might help take care of them. All of the pictures I have seen posted of them swimming have been with a guy who works there and takes care of them. This should be interesting. :)

My boys (will be 7 and 9 on our cruise in August) saw a picture of a girl swimming with one of the jaguars. They immediately started begging me to let them do it. Of course I said yes and I want to do it too! Hubby said he is not interested in proving lunch for the jaguar. LOL

Would love to hear from somebody who has done this!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I missed something. NCL is not going to Roatan anymore? New port? Wow - you miss a week, you miss a lot! :eek: Can someone clue me in? We love Roatan!

Swimming with a jaguar?!? How cool is that!

Pam

You have definitely missed a lot over the last week then. One of NCL's crew members was murdered in Roatan and NCL has pulled out of Roatan this week and maybe next week? They have caught the killer and we are all waiting to hear if NCL will return again as scheduled. There has not been a formal announcement by NCL other than them pulling out for sure this week. Such a sad event. You can read up on it here on the Roatan board and also on the NCL board. :(

Absolutely NOT

Why? What are they building? I know they just built the new bigger jaguar cage back when we were there last year, so that's done. The monkeys have several cages and there is a specific cage that you can go in just to hold the "tamer" monkeys. So why would you not be able to now? What are they building that does not permit you to go now? :confused:

Absolutely NOT

I was just there last week while there was construction. You CAN go into the monkey inclosure, you will be told to stand there and just let the monkeys climb and jump off but not to restrict them. You CAN ALSO hold the baby monkey in the other cage, it likes to cuddle. No chatge but they ask that you leave a tip. You CAN swim and play with the jaguar for an additional fee of $40 per person but there has to be a minimum of 5 people in the group. I have video of some others doing it. There's also horseback riding thru the water but someone leads it during the ride.

Why? What are they building? I know they just built the new bigger jaguar cage back when we were there last year, so that's done. The monkeys have several cages and there is a specific cage that you can go in just to hold the "tamer" monkeys. So why would you not be able to now? What are they building that does not permit you to go now? :confused:

I talked with an employee and they are expanding some areas (example horse riding is new) and even building lodging for guests in near future.

I was just there last week while there was construction. You CAN go into the monkey inclosure, you will be told to stand there and just let the monkeys climb and jump off but not to restrict them. You CAN ALSO hold the baby monkey in the other cage, it likes to cuddle. No chatge but they ask that you leave a tip. You CAN swim and play with the jaguar for an additional fee of $40 per person but there has to be a minimum of 5 people in the group. I have video of some others doing it. There's also horseback riding thru the water but someone leads it during the ride.

I just got an email back from LFK saying that "since the jaguars are getting so big they have not been exposing them to the people " but that they will "see what they can do"

My kids are going to be so disappointed!

Just returned from our cruise where we went to LFK. I can honestly say that it wasn't worth the money to us. We went to Almaplena two days before and it was hands down a better experience for half the price.

THE CONS

We decided to book the 98 per person which included lunch, entry, and snorkel tour.

This only comes with the one plate of food, while very good, was not a lot of food.

You also only get two drinks per person. I'm not an alcoholic but come on, two drinks for 5-8 hours?!?!?

they allowed way to many people. We were only able to get one chair for the two of us and we were on the second boat ride to the island that day. I'd say there were at least 200 people on the island which is not big enough for that. Each little beach area was packed.

The snorkel tour was a joke. They took us out in a skiff and when they reached the ocean from the other side of the island, they said "it's to rough for the boat, jump out and swim if you want to go". ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!.

THE PROS

The place really is beautiful. no doubt about that. amazing water, beautiful scenery.

The snorkeling was fun but not a lot to see.

The food was good (just not a lot)

The drinks were good (but just two!)

The animals are cool!

Just my honest opinion. I believe they have gotten greedy and are allowing as many people on the island as they can fit. If they lowered the price it would be a better deal. We spent 196 bucks!!! I feel the money can be better spent, especially when placed like maya chan and almaplena are only 55 bucks a person.

We just came back.....we also went last April....

Things that have changed....another cooking area, another bar, free wi-fi on the island (in the new bar area)

more places to lounge, new shelter by the zoo area, and new bathrooms by the new bar area....

There were two ships in port on the day we went. No problem finding a spot...It rained on and off but we still have a great time!

They are building another jumping platform.

We did not pay extra for the snorkeling but the folks that went said it was awesome...lots of fish...

We just came back.....we also went last April....

Things that have changed....another cooking area, another bar, free wi-fi on the island (in the new bar area)

more places to lounge, new shelter by the zoo area, and new bathrooms by the new bar area....

There were two ships in port on the day we went. No problem finding a spot...It rained on and off but we still have a great time!

They are building another jumping platform.

We did not pay extra for the snorkeling but the folks that went said it was awesome...lots of fish...

Well this is awesome to hear. Where are they building the other platform to jump from (like what side of the island)? I guess this explains why one poster came back and said they did not enjoy their day there and left because of the hammering going on (although that would not have been a factor for me to leave because when we were there they were building the jaguar cage and we didn't even notice the hammering unless we were over by the animals). I'm excited to go back.

Did you get any pictures?

I get to finally visit LFK next week! I am really excited. I will add a quick review when I get home.

Have a great time and if you could, please take some pictures of the new buildings and areas (mentioned above) if you could, to share. :D