Cruise passengers put on a POUND A DAY during two-week break

Correct I can never understand all that weight gain. If I was to gain that much, I wouldn't cruise. I go on a cruise to cruise, not to eat, eat and eat again. :rolleyes:

Well bully for you. Some of us do not eat dessert, rich foods, etc at home so of course we will gain weight if we eat that way for a week. And food is a huge part of cruising for most cruisers or the restaurant selections wouldn't be such a huge deal in advertising and discussions. That's part of cruising to cruise.

Well bully for you. Some of us do not eat dessert, rich foods, etc at home so of course we will gain weight if we eat that way for a week. And food is a huge part of cruising for most cruisers or the restaurant selections wouldn't be such a huge deal in advertising and discussions. That's part of cruising to cruise.

Yup, thats part of cruising for me :D

Sorry, calling B.S. on this story. To gain a pound of body fat each day you need to consume an excess 3500 calories per day. Using an 1800 calorie per day diet as a base line you would have to eat almost 3 times as much food each and every day than you would normally consume at home. I just don't see it happening.

It doesn't matter what you normally eat at home, or what you eat on a cruise. If you are taking in more calories than you burn on any particular day you're going to gain fat, pretty simple...

For me cruising is all about food! I love food but I love remaining slim more. I can feel when I've gained a pound or two and I cut back accordingly until I'm the same weight. I can't imagine gaining seven pounds and being OK with that.

It would be SO easy to gain a pound a day. I could eat 4 or five slabs of cheesecake per day, plus a couple burgers for snacks, plus a couple steaks with butter melted on top at dinner. See? Easy!

When I was in highschool we did a project in Chemestry where we tracked our calorie intake over a three day period. I was maybe 15 or 16....growing about an inch a month. I averaged 11 thousand calories a day, no joke. Now I wasn't gaining any weight, but eating wise, it can certainly be done.;)

You guys must eat like crap at home! Lol! I spend enough time at the gym at home and eat healthy on a daily basis, I have no desire to try to be healthier on vacation. On vacation I eat carbs, and dessert nightly, and 2 am calzones, and I drink.... Lots. Healthy is for home! ;-)

I follow the same rule on a cruise as I do at home during the holidays. "There are no calories in broken cookies.":D

I always gain a fair amount.......it's part of the cruise experience. At home I usually have just a bananna for breakfast. On the boat it's an omlette with all the fixins plus, bacon, hashbrowns, etc., etc., etc. Dinner is always more that I would eat at home, and then there's that fourth full meal before bed time that always does me in. Not to mention the excessive amounts of alcohol consumed. There's no way I can't come home heavier & thats OK with me.

For me cruising is all about food! I love food but I love remaining slim more. I can feel when I've gained a pound or two and I cut back accordingly until I'm the same weight. I can't imagine gaining seven pounds and being OK with that.

I agree with what you are saying. I do the same as you. I want to stay slim also. Yes we all like the food on a cruise and look forward to it, but to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight sandwich, and snacking and drinking during the day is a lot for someone to consume in a day. I can see gaining a couple of lbs. on a 7 day cruise, but I wouldn't want to gain more than that.

I eat very healthy and work out regularly at home. When I cruise, I eat what I want and we drink more than usual. I have dessert every night on a cruise, almost never at home. I eat carbs on a cruise, almost never at home. It's not just a vacation, it's a "fatcation." LOL. And last time I cruised, summer 2010, I gained 12 pounds on a 7 day cruise + 3 days at WDW. Then I came home, went back to my regularly scheduled life and those pounds melted away after a few weeks...

I'm eating what I want on vacation... that said I've routinely gained 6-7 lbs on a 7 day cruise. A lot of it comes off pretty fast and some of that is water weight due to sodium intake.

On our last cruise I was sick for two days... probably the first cruise I've ever LOST weight on...

It certainly is possible to gain a pound a day. Years ago when I was doing Weight Watchers, I went "off the wagon" for a week and gained 10 pounds. So to that person that said it was impossible, I beg to differ. It also depends on one's metabolism. Mine is slow.

Part of the cruising experience is eating better than you do at home. At home we eat lots of cassaroles. It's so nice to have things you wouldn't ordinarily have like steak and lobster. We also never have dessert at home so that is something else we enjoy on a cruise.

I always eat what I want, but don' t go crazy even if there is a buffet-there is always another meal to come. I DON'T do the diet desserts-though I tried one once because it sounded good on the menu-WRONG.

I usually end up losing weight because we always walk-the stairs, only use the elevetor(windowed one) on formal nights perhaps. wish I was cruising.

Archived