Nassau things to do

united4life

I will be in Nassau from 700am-300pm on the Allure in November. Just curious on what things people have done in this port besides checking out the Straw Market, Senor Frogs etc.

Is there private tour companies that will take you on a tour of the area?

Seems like Atlantis is an overpriced place to go, so wont be heading there.

thanks for your comments.

We have done many excursions and some exploring on our own in Nassau. Plenty to do here:

Ardastra Gardens and Zoo

Pirates Museum

Shopping on Bay St.

A walking tour of historic sites (attractive buildings in Nassau)

A visit to the British Colonial Hilton.

A beach day on Cable Beach.

Have a great cruise.

$1.50 public bus to "love Beach" Nirvana

while you may luck out and find the beach a safe haven.. for the most part, it's not. I would no longer recommend this area unless you are with a group with someone who is a local.

Crime is a big issue.. and this beach.. especially near nirvana.. is not a good place to be. It's also remote enough not to have anyone see that you are in trouble,

Stay where you can be seen.

Go to my website.. I have a link on the left side to a great walking tour.

www.bahamas-treasures.com

We are also going to Nassau on Allure but in September (sans hurricanes). Your walking tour looks just like what we would want to do!

Is it path safe for just the two of us to walk, or do we need to form a group?

Since the ship leaves at 3:00 pm, what time do you think we ought to get started on the walk so as not to be rushed (we'll probably do the conch lunch and we don't shop much)?

Thanks again, Scubagirl!

We are also going to Nassau on Allure but in September (sans hurricanes). Your walking tour looks just like what we would want to do!

Is it path safe for just the two of us to walk, or do we need to form a group?

Since the ship leaves at 3:00 pm, what time do you think we ought to get started on the walk so as not to be rushed (we'll probably do the conch lunch and we don't shop much)?

Thanks again, Scubagirl!

Nothing will be open til after 9am, so I would have a leisurely breakfast, then head out. the walking tour can take 2-3 hours depending on how quick you get thru things and how much you want to see.

• 4 weeks later...

A week ago, we (two females) did the Nassau walking tour from Scubagirrl's website. It's an excellent tour and very easy to follow. We had no problems getting anywhere and felt perfectly safe on our own the entire time. It took us 2 hours.

Two caveats: 1) There is an admission fee to enter Fort Fincastle which is not mentioned in the tour info. We decided to skip going inside the fort, but I think the admission is $1.00. 2) The tour routes you through the grounds of the home of the Governor General to get from Point 7 to Point 8. The instructions say that you may visit the grounds. From our experience last week, this is not exactly true. The guard said that the grounds were closed but when I showed him the map from this walking tour (which I had printed up), he agreed to let us cross through provided that we stayed between the yellow line and the white curb. (See photo above #7). The guard you get may not be so generous.

In addition, if you do get to cross through the grounds, go around to the right for a bit before you head over to Point 8, Graycliff. You can get a great shot of the GG's house with the statue of Columbus.

A week ago, we (two females) did the Nassau walking tour from Scubagirrl's website. It's an excellent tour and very easy to follow. We had no problems getting anywhere and felt perfectly safe on our own the entire time. It took us 2 hours.

Two caveats: 1) There is an admission fee to enter Fort Fincastle which is not mentioned in the tour info. We decided to skip going inside the fort, but I think the admission is $1.00. 2) The tour routes you through the grounds of the home of the Governor General to get from Point 7 to Point 8. The instructions say that you may visit the grounds. From our experience last week, this is not exactly true. The guard said that the grounds were closed but when I showed him the map from this walking tour (which I had printed up), he agreed to let us cross through provided that we stayed between the yellow line and the white curb. (See photo above #7). The guard you get may not be so generous.

In addition, if you do get to cross through the grounds, go around to the right for a bit before you head over to Point 8, Graycliff. You can get a great shot of the GG's house with the statue of Columbus.

Thank you so much for reporting back on this tour. It really helps to get timely feedback. We are planning to follow the path in September, and have made note of your experiences.

Mike & Kularb

We have done many excursions and some exploring on our own in Nassau. Plenty to do here:

Ardastra Gardens and Zoo

Pirates Museum

Shopping on Bay St.

A walking tour of historic sites (attractive buildings in Nassau)

A visit to the British Colonial Hilton.

A beach day on Cable Beach.

Have a great cruise.

We are planning to go to the Pirates Museum on our next visit. Did you enjoy it? About how long would you stay it takes to go through the museum?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this information! :cool: I'll be leaving for my cruise next week on 6/30 and I'm trying to decide if I want to take a tour of Atlantis or just tour the islands. This looks like it'll be more fun and interesting than touring Atlantis. Now to convince my son! :rolleyes: I've sent him the links, so hopefully he'll be interested considering there's the court house information included and he's majoring in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Pre-Law.

Again thanks for this very informative link you've provided! :)

Thanks, I have printed this for our cruise this weekend. We are arriving on the Monarch on Saturday.

Any suggestions for rainy day activities? We were planning a beach day, followed by some gambling at Atlantis. But I am working on a Plan "B" as there is a 'heavy rain warning' for Saturday.

We went to the Pirate museum in 2010. It was cheap and took about an hour.

Other Nassau suggestions :

Blue lagoon Island

Rose Island

Segway tour

$10 Horse drawn carriage ride downtown

Take a jitney (bus) to the Fish Fry and try local food

hard Rock Cafe is downtown too. Great Sampler appetizer !

Stuart Cove for scuba, snorkel, subs, etc

Powerboat Adventures - if in port through 5:00 pm (takes all day, 8-5)

Archived