Seabands question

murph1031

Hey folks, we are sailing on our second cruise this July. Got great help here for our first cruise. First time was a balcony room on the Fastination, this time we opted for a porthole room (Paradise), because we never really used the balcony or room for that matter, so we felt the balcony was a waste. So anyway my question is this. My wife suffered a little from sea sickness on first cruise, very little, she did take a Bonine every day, but now we moving forward in the boat, and I saw something mentioned about Seabands, what do you guys think of these? Do they work? can you use them with Bonine? Does it matter which brand you purchase?

Thanks for help

Murph

They absolutely work. So will pressing down on that same pressure point on your wrist in a pinch. I never cruise without them. Only usually need them on really bad sea days but have even slept with them. Cheap and no side effects.

I used to use these on our family boat when we went fishing. They worked wonders. But on my first cruise, I didn't want to take the chance so I brought two sets of the bands (gray and black so I could coordinate with my outfits... LOL) and a box of Bonine. Took the Bonine every day and wore the bands the first day. After my shower that night, I forgot to put them back on and didn't realize until the fourth day of the cruise that they were still laying on the bathroom counter since the first day. Now they're packed in my suitcase, but are "just in case." The Bonine seems to do the trick for me alone.

I have used Sea Bands for several cruises and they work great for me. The brand doesn't matter. I did learn that putting them on before you sail helps alot. I keep them on except for showering and using pools and hot tubs. I am pretty sure that you can take Bonine with them. The bands are not a drug, just press on your wrist. If you feel any discomfort at all you just press the little button harder and the you feel instantly better. I just prefer them to drugs as they have no side effects. Hope this helps.

Hey folks, we are sailing on our second cruise this July. Got great help here for our first cruise. First time was a balcony room on the Fastination, this time we opted for a porthole room (Paradise), because we never really used the balcony or room for that matter, so we felt the balcony was a waste. So anyway my question is this. My wife suffered a little from sea sickness on first cruise, very little, she did take a Bonine every day, but now we moving forward in the boat, and I saw something mentioned about Seabands, what do you guys think of these? Do they work? can you use them with Bonine? Does it matter which brand you purchase?

Thanks for help

Murph

Ginger tablets work wonders..... walmart has them as well.

Someone had given me a set on my first cruise and I didn't get a chance to use them even though I got sick. This past cruise we were in the aft and we used them off and on whenever we felt sick. Who ever was wearing them (either DH or I) felt less sick then the other. I would use them again.

My best friends mom suffers from Virtigo and she wears them. She can't live without it when she has a flair up of this. She also wears it when cruising. I plan on getting one before I cruise in Oct.

Its psychosomatic for those it works on

Back in the 80's, the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute of the US Navy as well as the Institute of Naval Medicine of the UK Royal Navy did a pretty big study that showed they only worked as well as placebo's

Being asian, I understand knnow all about accupressure points from my grandmother. I easily get motion sickness - can't even ride roller coasters without taking an anti-emetic. Fished all the time on Lake Ontario in my younger days and took Dramamine. Tried the sea bands and was chumming the waters.

If they work for you, great. I'll stick with Bonine/Meclizine....

I have wore seabands on our 2 cruises......they really work for me.....just take off to shower.....if you decide to try them.....go on-line & buy bio-bands brand.....you only have to wear one on your wrist....also ginger ale is always good for a queasy tummy.:cool:

Thanks for all the replies. I think I may get a set for my wife, just in case. Judging by what you guys have said, I think they will work great for her. First cruise, she wasn't feeling sick at all, until our son mentioned that he could feel the boat moving, after that for the rest of the night she was ill, only because he had put that thought into her head, so I think just thinking it will work, will work for her. We'll see, but thanks for replies.

Murph

I used to own a a biz that sold them and others alone with boating and fishing products

As the other poster stated there is no data to support they work

It's a placebo even the rep firm selling them acknolgize it

I know some people swear by them and if it works for them great

I swear by meclizine

Archived