9 days in an inside cabin

liberty64

Our family of 4 (with 2 teenagers) almost always travels in a single inside cabin. We spent 14 nights on a cruise with the 4 of us in an inside cabin and loved it. We all look at it as a sort of adventure.

I'm afraid that, in my case, four people would board the ship but only two with get off, the other two having "fallen" overboard somewhere along the way.:D

On many ships like the X Millenium class, the inside cabins are the same size as the outside cabins.

We have done MANY 15 day cruises in an inside cabin and a few cruises in balcony cabins. While the view out the balcony windows is wonderful, we found sitting on the upright chairs was very uncomfortable and we much preferred sitting on the lounge chairs on the promenade or an outside deck. (Probably why the hump and aft balconies are booked the first day). We are very mobile and like to do a lot of walking while we cruise to keep from gaining weight. We don't mind going on deck for short periods of time like an hour or so between activities to read, walk or just relax. We also prefer an early breakfast served in the dining room with fellow cruisers, rather than waiting for a room service breakfast on a tiny balcony table. While we can well afford a balcony cabin, we just were uncomfortable and did not use the balcony and have decided to save the money.

You are being misled by the comment about the cabin being a closet. Good for the poster if they have a closet with a queen size bed, sofa, coffee table, desk, 2 closets, bathroom and television.

If money is no object, then by all means get a balcony. But if you can ride in crowded elevators (my DH cannot) you should be fine in a decent size inside. Pay attention to the cabin size on the cruise ship web page.

If you are more extroverted and enjoy being out in the crowds, then an inside cabin would be fine; but if you are more introverted who would spend a lot of time looking for quiet spaces to sit and read and just watch the world sail by, then a balcony would be money well spent.

a closet with a queen size bed, sofa, coffee table, desk, 2 closets, bathroom and television.

Having a lot of stuff in a small room doesn't make it any less claustrophobic for someone who feels a little claustrophobic - in fact, it makes it worse. The poster wasn't saying the cabin was like a closet, the poster was saying close yourself into a closet to see if you have any claustrophobic tendencies that you might not be aware of living in home with larger rooms (since most people live in a home where their bedroom or living room is larger than 100 sq ft). It would be horrible to discover you feel a little claustrophobic once you're paid and on board.

My picture of a large walk in closet has clothes hanging on both sides.

A better comparison would probably be to go into a small bedroom in your house, best if it were 12 by 12 which is 144 square feet. That is probably closer to the non bathroom square footage on most of the ships I have been on. Go at night when there is no natural sunlight at the time you would return to your cabin after dinner and a show and whatever stop you normally take. Change into your bed clothes in the room and the next morning take your shower in your smallest bathroom and then go out for breakfast, a walk, the fitness center or your activity for the day (the equivalent of a port day). I live in a lake community so I might go to the lake which is a mile away to sit, read and cool off. You might come back from your activity tired so take a nap in the 12 by 12 room or get your book or IPOD and go sit on your deck for a few hours. When you get hungry, you can certainly go to the kitchen which is not as nice as going to the buffet or other eating venue on a ship. Any time during the day that you have to change, you have to do it in the small bedroom. Before dinner you have to change in the small bedroom in your house. Sometimes either my husband or I come back to the room first so that one person does not have to sit on the couch or bed while the other one showers (especially after the pool).

I realize that this is a better example of an ocean view room than an inside but the only difference is really the natural light.

I find the inside cabin to be bigger than many of the European hotels I have stayed in. So if you've been to a non U.S. chain hotel in Europe that might be a good comparison.

I'm the same way as several posters here. We use our cabins for more than just sleeping and changing clothes. We love sitting out and relaxing on our balcony, while we read our favorite books and drink our favorite beverage at the moment; wether it is a pot of coffee, soft drink or cocktail.

And if I wanted an extended cruise (longer than seven days) and could not afford a balcony I would try and opt for an ocean-view stateroom. I need to be able to see the sky and the waters, especially when the weather is bad and the ship is rocking.

My picture of a large walk in closet has clothes hanging on both sides.

A better comparison would probably be to go into a small bedroom in your house, best if it were 12 by 12 which is 144 square feet. That is probably closer to the non bathroom square footage on most of the ships I have been on. .............

When it comes to feelings of claustrophobia, it is not the type of room or the furnishings or decor that make the difference.

It is being confined for an extended time in an enclosed space without a window.

Staying in a bedroom with a window would not provide the same effect.

We'd only been in insides for 7 night cruises, and had no problems; 14 nighters were usually balcony cabins.

Last year we were only able to go on the 18 nighter to Venice because we could afford the inside cabin....I found it too long indoors, but OH found he slept well, and was perfectly happy.

We chose the cabin position very carefully- just against the atrium, with plenty of lifts, and next to the Costa coffee bar, in case we couldn't sleep. That was great for me, as I sometimes like to wander about at night, and could sit in the atrium or coffee bar.....no-one bothers you. We were also on the deck which was used for returning passengers, so a short walk to the cabin after a long day.

As it was a warm cruise, I spent much of the time on deck; I've been on cruises when a balcony has been a waste of space because it's been so cold and rainy.

I think 10 to 14 nights is fine for me- any more and I'd need a little more outside light....as I say, OH was perfectly happy! I know several people who are content with insides on their world cruises, too.:cool:

Jo.

We have done 10 nights in inside cabins several times. We look at it as going inside means we can cruise 2 and 3 times a year. We do have balconies at times, and of course we love the balconies. Just depends on what the price difference of the cabins are.

Also, in the inside cabins (like most of them) there are lots of mirrors on the walls, and this gives them an appearance of being much larger than they actually are.

I'm fine in an inside cabin. We never used our balcony much when we've had them. Twice we had smokers on both sides, which for me spoiled being on the balcony. I'm not trying to start another smoking debate -- just stating one reason I usually don't book a balcony. And no, I don't feel claustrophobic in an inside cabin. It's not like they lock you in the cabin. I can always get out if I want to.

Archived