I can't stand the wait so I....

MsSoCalCruiser

I'm so happy you get to go. I'm looking forward to meeting you! I hope that lunch in the MDR goes by quickly, I want time to explore.

I will have to put both of those places on my list. Today, for me, it's the new Costco in HB, Target and Macy's at South Coast Plaza (I'm really looking forward to Macy's). I went to Macy's in Orange with some friends a few days ago and it was just terrible. It didn't even feel like I was in a Macy's (eww, is all I have to say). Have a great day!!!

I plan on skipping dessert as I will probably stop by the IC later. May have to try Alfredo's but doubt I'll have room. Not sure what I'll do the rest of the time but I might hang out in the Sanctuary for a while.

You're further north as I rarely go to South Coast Plaza other than to go to J.Jill. The Shops at Mission Viejo are closer but no J.Jill.

I'm happy for you. I hope next Saturday is as beautiful as yesterday was.:)

I'm coming as well. Looks like next Saturday's weather report is sunny and 72. I'm hoping the IC has those mini cheesecakes that I loved in the past. Gotta have one. It will be interesting to see how they handle the sanctuary. Would be nice if they let us try it out for 15-30 minutes or so.

I hope you and Pam get to book for next Saturday. I would call early because they did tell me that it had to be booked at least 6 days prior. I plan on going to the MDR for lunch but I would rather explore the ship on our own. I want to make a stop at every food area on the ship.:D

Feel very fortunate. Pam snagged us two spots. What is it about cruising that makes one want to eat? I'm sure lunch will be very good in the MDR. I want to get dessert in the IC but then if there was room in my tummy before you get off the ship I wouldn't mind a few bites of chicken salad and shrimp salad from the IC. We shall see how the day unfolds.

MsSoCalCruiser - so many great things to try in the IC. I love the chicken salad, shrimp salad, paninis, mini cheesecakes....... I am curious about the new dessert station mentioned in the Horizon Court. I'm really looking forward to checking out the "new" Sapphire. Thanks, Pam for your fast dialing fingers!

Another brunch spot to add to the ones Pam listed is the Renaissance in Dana Point. At 1130 on Sunday they have a gal who sings out on the patio. She has a Bonnie Raitt kind of feel to her music. Food is good - not great. Nice crowd - very lowkey.

My husband and I are going on the Sea Princess for a 10 day cruise to Alaska. First cruise for both of us, and it was given as a gift to us by his grandparents who have taken ill and were unable to book it for themselves. We're leaving the kids behind (10 and 7) and I feel so guilty about it! I looked into taking them with us, but it was pretty pricey to add a 3rd and 4th passenger so we decided to go by ourselves...which is fine, and I'm not beating myself up over the guilt or anything, but I just really feel they would enjoy it.

Anywho.....the point of this is I wonder if taking them on the ship for the Bon Voyage Experience would be fun for them...maybe not the day we are actually leaving, but ahead of time so they could see the ship, eat a nice lunch, etc....or would it just be torturous for them??? Maybe too torturous. It would be fun to check out the ship beforehand though.... Hmm, thoughts?

Anywho.....the point of this is I wonder if taking them on the ship for the Bon Voyage Experience would be fun for them...maybe not the day we are actually leaving, but ahead of time so they could see the ship, eat a nice lunch, etc....or would it just be torturous for them??? Maybe too torturous. It would be fun to check out the ship beforehand though.... Hmm, thoughts?

If they like adventure and new things, this would be a great experience for them, a wonderful fun day.

The main problem is that they then would not want you to go to Alaska without them.

.....the point of this is I wonder if taking them on the ship for the Bon Voyage Experience would be fun for them...maybe not the day we are actually leaving, but ahead of time so they could see the ship, eat a nice lunch, etc....or would it just be torturous for them??? Maybe too torturous. It would be fun to check out the ship beforehand though.... Hmm, thoughts?
I think this is a great idea. When I was very young, my parents cruised a few times. Back then, in the 40's, you could go aboard a ship and have a Bon voyage party and explore the ship without any security. I remember seeing where my parents would be staying for a week or two. I found it exciting and while they were gone, I could imagine them strolling on the Promenade or having dinner in the dining room. Perhaps I romanticized it but I loved going to the ship to see them off.

Only you know your children so only you would know how they would handle visiting the ship....but whatever you do, I know you are going to love your cruise without the kids. If you look carefully there are many opportunities to sail with your children that are affordable another time. Cruising is a wonderful and affordable holiday with children.

Sue

I could not do a BVE and then get off the ship. It would just be toooo painful. I'd like to do one while on another ship doing B2B cruises. I could handle getting off of one ship only to get back on another. But to have to go home afterwards....it would be worse, I think, than coming home after touring model homes worth 2 or 3 times mine. And I've learned that that's not fun.

Now that is an excellent idea!!!!

Can you get a FCC while on board? If so what a great way to get one if you have run out and need one.

Yes, you can get an FCC. Our son did this on the BVE on the Sapphire last year. The only problem then was that the Future Cruise Consultant desk was not open during the time our son was onboard. The Consultant stopped by our table during the lunch to let us know what to do. He wrote his booking ID on the form with instructions to use the credit card associated with it and dropped the form off at the desk.

I think this is a great idea. When I was very young, my parents cruised a few times. Back then, in the 40's, you could go aboard a ship and have a Bon voyage party and explore the ship without any security. I remember seeing where my parents would be staying for a week or two. I found it exciting and while they were gone, I could imagine them strolling on the Promenade or having dinner in the dining room. Perhaps I romanticized it but I loved going to the ship to see them off.

This made me remember I thought I had while on my BVE a few weeks ago. At 3:00 they announced over the PA that it was time for all Bon Voyage participants to leave the ship. I really wished they would have added, "All ashore who's going ashore".

It would have felt so right...

Feel very fortunate. Pam snagged us two spots. What is it about cruising that makes one want to eat? I'm sure lunch will be very good in the MDR. I want to get dessert in the IC but then if there was room in my tummy before you get off the ship I wouldn't mind a few bites of chicken salad and shrimp salad from the IC. We shall see how the day unfolds.

MsSoCalCruiser - so many great things to try in the IC. I love the chicken salad, shrimp salad, paninis, mini cheesecakes....... I am curious about the new dessert station mentioned in the Horizon Court. I'm really looking forward to checking out the "new" Sapphire. Thanks, Pam for your fast dialing fingers!

Please come back and tell us all about your visit on the Sapphire!

Thanks.

I'm coming as well. Looks like next Saturday's weather report is sunny and 72. I'm hoping the IC has those mini cheesecakes that I loved in the past. Gotta have one. It will be interesting to see how they handle the sanctuary. Would be nice if they let us try it out for 15-30 minutes or so.

Is it terrible that I want to try at least one of everything?

This made me remember I thought I had while on my BVE a few weeks ago. At 3:00 they announced over the PA that it was time for all Bon Voyage participants to leave the ship. I really wished they would have added, "All ashore who's going ashore".

It would have felt so right...

What if I don't hear them say that it's time to leave?:D:p

They will come looking for you! :p BTW, I believe that you'll be issued visitor badges to wear at all times whilst onboard.

I'm bringing my camera and plan to take lots of pictures. :)

Will look forward to your pictures and your comments about the recently refurbished ship. We will be back on her in November. Always value what you have to say here on the boards even though I don't "chime" in often.

This is a wonderful idea to go for lunch, I didn't realize you could do that without being an actual passenger. We will look forward to doing it in the future.

Cheryl

I think it's your duty!! After all, look at all the folks on this thread who are depending on your critique...

If that works, let me know. I'll try it next time!

No, no and no:D:D:D If you sample as much as you can on Saturday you will be very prepared for your cruise this fall! That's my theory, for you.

I'm looking forward to checking out the sanctuary. I want to scope out a few "prime" loungers in the event I decide to book a spur of the moment Sapphire cruise. That way I can drop my carry on luggage and head up to the sanctuary to reserve the spot of my choice!

No, no and no:D:D:D If you sample as much as you can on Saturday you will be very prepared for your cruise this fall! That's my theory, for you.

I'm looking forward to checking out the sanctuary. I want to scope out a few "prime" loungers in the event I decide to book a spur of the moment Sapphire cruise. That way I can drop my carry on luggage and head up to the sanctuary to reserve the spot of my choice!

Would you really do that? See if you could book a cabin onboard? Wow! You're more gutsy than I am. I definitely want to check out the Santuary and maybe even relax there as long as they'll let me. Have Kindle, can read. :) I'm going to have to be "good" all week because I, too, want to sample everything: dining room for lunch, Alfredo's, the grill, IC... god, the list goes on! I won't have to eat again for a month or have to stop for a nap on the drive home.

FYI, CC should start a new Roll Call for those on BVE's. :) [Listening?]

Would you really do that? See if you could book a cabin onboard? Wow! You're more gutsy than I am. I definitely want to check out the Santuary and maybe even relax there as long as they'll let me. Have Kindle, can read. :) I'm going to have to be "good" all week because I, too, want to sample everything: dining room for lunch, Alfredo's, the grill, IC... god, the list goes on! I won't have to eat again for a month or have to stop for a nap on the drive home.

FYI, CC should start a new Roll Call for those on BVE's. :)[Listening?]

Oops, no. Not meaning booking a spur of the moment cabin on board this Saturday but perhaps one evening when I was checking prices on Princess cruises and noticed a fabulous one. I did that back in 2009 when I saw a January 2010 OV guarantee for $379.00. I ended up with an oceanview on the Plaza. One of the two times I traveled solo as I couldn't resist a cruise that cost me under $1,000.00. I'm looking forward to checking out the sanctuary and hoping they will let the BVE passengers hang out for a little while. No kindle for me but do have a book I'm reading.

I agree, CC should start a roll call for those on BVE's. I'm looking forward to this one on Saturday and will definitley keep an eye out come next fall to see which ships are sailing out of San Pedro. For $39.00 I think it's a nice way to spend an afternoon. I was down at Fisherman's restaurant in San Clemente today with a friend. I had a great time. Spent $29 for lunch and a few hours. For $39 on the BVE you get lunch in the MDR, wine (from what I understand you posted previously) and then a few hours to pick and choose what to do. I'm wondering how to fit in a Milky Way Martini at Crooners. May have to wait until my next BVE.

I'm watching what I'm eating this week as well. I'm trying to lose some weight but do plan on fitting in as many treats as I can this Saturday.

Definitely wine at lunch, maybe a pisco (sp?) sour or something else somewhere. We can always go to a bar, pick up a couple of drinks and head to the Sanctuary. :) I might really need a nap before heading home.

Archived