Paying a year ahead

sayaguru

Thanks everyone. Normally I book things late and get decent discounts as I'm not overly fussy but our friends can't as they need to book airfares.

I too buy yearly travel insurance. That way I can jump on a plane when I want.

Waiting for a reply from the agent.

My money sits in an offset account so it actually saves me 6% interest so I'm not keen to pull it out unless necessary. Plus I have a wedding to pay for in September (well half of one). OUCH!!!

Will look at scenic. Had a quick look at APT but they seem expensive.

Will look at scenic. Had a quick look at APT but they seem expensive.

With Scenic Tours it is more inclusive so be sure to see what other line charge extra for when comparing lines

We have four cruises coming up over the next two years and we paid IN FULL for all four. We got very good discounts by doing that. We cannot make that amount of money in interest in the bank and would pay a higher fee by paying later.

We have four cruises coming up over the next two years and we paid IN FULL for all four. We got very good discounts by doing that. We cannot make that amount of money in interest in the bank and would pay a higher fee by paying later.

Glad someone else is experiencing and confirming what has happened to us. We booked & paid for the July 2012 Russia cruise in April 2011 and today the prices on that tour (with only a couple of open dates left) are exactly $2,000/per person higher than we paid.

Then in January of this year we booked and paid for the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in July 2013, and again the prices quoted today are already $2,000 higher than we paid.

I was suspect initially about whether the price we were given was really a discount, but thus far it has been well worth it. Saving $8K on two vacations helps pay for China 2014. :D

We paid a deposit last January 2011 for a June 2012 cruise

The prices are higher for the cruise this year butt I did not have to pay in full to get the discounted price & got to make a bit of interest;)

Not on a Viking cruise

So it can be done without paying in FULL upfront

It is a personal choice one has to make

Glad it worked out for you

I paid for Viking China full over a year ahead for an August 2012 cruise and figure I saved $2000 compared to today’s prices.

Viking does not force anyone to pay for the full trip will ahead of time. If you want to more later on don’t take there pay in full special offers.

River cruise lines benefit by early payment, so naturally they offer discounts to entice. Some have offered lower rates only if they are paid in FULL. Everyone wants discounts, so many simply pre-pay. Some offer discounts for wire transfers and such as well. For the most part, it's tough to beat an Early Booking Discount saddled with a discount for paying in full by wire transfer. (add in an $xxx balcony discount and you win!)

Last minute discounts are usually only found on less desireable ships or early/late season cruises that they have a hard time selling. Last minute discounts on newer ships and popular itineraries are scarce these days. But some cruise lines are really good at 'making you think' you are really getting a steal. Buyer beware, it pays to compare.

Thanks again everyone for your input. The cruise we are looking at is the Rhine Getaway on May 5.

Can someone in USA please look at the Viking website for me. I can only access the .com.au one and for some reason the May 5 one is not there. I'm assured it does exist.

Casn you please also tell me the price. Mine for the May 25 says if you book before July 31st you get $500 per couple discount.

So $3495pp- $250= $3245pp Category F. On the new longh boat so the bottom cabins are better than the bottom ones on the old ships.

If I book and pay by the end of May I csn get a better price than that. So it sounds good.

thanks again everyone.

Thanks again everyone for your input. The cruise we are looking at is the Rhine Getaway on May 5.

Can someone in USA please look at the Viking website for me. I can only access the .com.au one

Try clearing your cookies & cache you may get the US site after that

What I am seeing for the May 5, 2013 is:

Explorer Suite $9,356

Veranda Suite $6,156

Veranda A $4,356

Veranda B $4,056

Fr. Balcony C $3,856

Fr. Balcony D $3,556

Stnd E $2,956

Stnd F $2,856

Hope this helps

Nothing to do with cache. I'm in Australia. It redirects.

What I am seeing for the May 5, 2013 is:

Explorer Suite $9,356

Veranda Suite $6,156

Veranda A $4,356

Veranda B $4,056

Fr. Balcony C $3,856

Fr. Balcony D $3,556

Stnd E $2,956

Stnd F $2,856

Hope this helps

Thank you.Is that the new longship? Is that the normal price or pay before ?? price. That's cheaper than the aussie site. The price the agent is getting me is $2856 but pay in full by end of the month. Cat F on the new longship.

Blooomin confusing. I know a lot of companies add our gratuities as Aussies are known for not tipping.

Thank you.Is that the new longship? Is that the normal price or pay before ?? price. That's cheaper than the aussie site. The price the agent is getting me is $2856 but pay in full by end of the month. Cat F on the new longship.

Blooomin confusing. I know a lot of companies add our gratuities as Aussies are known for not tipping.

Not for sure what you are seeing, but looking a little more at USA site it is a little confusing. What I listed previously turns out to be the only round trip for the Viking Brugi ship (new for 2013). It sails Amsterdam to Basel on May 5 and returns May 12. It is not on this itinerary for the balance of the season.

Now, on May 5 the Viking Sun sails Amsterdam to Basel and the Viking Helvetia sails Basel to Amsterdam (believe both of these ships are the older one & they are used throughout the season on this itinerary). The prices for the May 5 trip on these 2 ships are cheaper, but have fewer options:

Fr. Balcony A $3,556

Deluxe B $3,256

Deluxe C $3,156

Stnd D $2,856

Stnd E $2,456

Same prices for both the Sun and Helvetia.

Here is a link to the Brugi:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruiseships/europe/viking-bragi/shipinfo.aspx

Helvetia:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruiseships/europe/viking-helvetia/shipinfo.aspx

Sun:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruiseships/europe/viking-sun/shipinfo.aspx

Also a link to the page we see (if you can load it):

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/rivercruises/europe-rhine-amsterdam-2013/datesprices.aspx

Nothing to do with cache. I'm in Australia. It redirects.

Sorry it was just a thought

When you click on the country of residence on the very bottom of page what happens if you click USA & Canada link?

Thanks Ras. That makes sense. Our agent said we can go up one category on the old ship (to get the queen bed) or go to the new ship for the same price.

LHT28- When I type in the web addy it automatically puts .au on the end.

After speaking with our friends (who are reluctant to book so far ahead) we have decided to leave it for now. Even after the 121 day cancellation period there's still 9 months where anything could happen and we lose our money (well there is insurance).

The thing is we did a river cruise last year so it's not a "must do" for us. We have booked other parts of our Europe trip and will wait until later to see what happens. We may end up on a bigger ship somewhere in Europe, We can get a balcony room for double the length of time for a lot cheaper than the river cruise.

May be easier leaving our next river cruise until later when we are traveling alone.

thanks again everyone for your input.

LHT28- When I type in the web addy it automatically puts .au on the end.

There is a link at the bottom of their website where you can click on Country of Residence

i clicked on the Australia link & it took me to that website

Maybe if you click on the link for US & Canada you will get that page

Do not try to type in the URL it will just reroute you

We are on the Elbe March 16, 2013, Grand European & due to the early discounts & air fare discounts we have final payment due May 31, 2012 as well. We have never used early discounts before, but it seems like good deal now.

Has anyone ever sailed at this time of the year before? Curious as to Weather & lock conditions. We have never done a river cruise before.

Thanks LHT. Yes when I type in .com it redirects. I went to the bottom of the AU site and clicked USA but it just took me back to the same Index page. Never mind. They want to keep us in the dark LOL. Thanks for the tip though.

I've found this with a few other companies as well as the pricings are different for USA and Australia (mainly with cruise companies). I've found that some are including gratuities in AU pricings. Being a non tipping culture I know some cruise lines subsidize the staff tippings, but now they seem to be just adding them into the fare.

My wife and I were all set to book an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Viking. We have never done a river cruise and it seemed like something we would enjoy. After reading this post I contacted Viking. Sure enough, they require payment in full by the end of May 2012 for a cruise in June 2013. I know there isn't much interest being made on money right now, but I just can't see giving any cruise line payment in full that far in advance. Why would they want it. Is it non refundable if you change your mind in six months?

I guess this doesn't bother some of you, but for us this would turn us off to river cruising. I would wonder about the strength of a company that would require this much money up front for something more than a year away.

My wife and I were all set to book an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Viking. We have never done a river cruise and it seemed like something we would enjoy. After reading this post I contacted Viking.

Lots of other cruise lines that do the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise with no need to pay in full a year out

Shop around

My wife and I were all set to book an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Viking. We have never done a river cruise and it seemed like something we would enjoy. After reading this post I contacted Viking. Sure enough, they require payment in full by the end of May 2012 for a cruise in June 2013. I know there isn't much interest being made on money right now, but I just can't see giving any cruise line payment in full that far in advance. Why would they want it. Is it non refundable if you change your mind in six months?

I guess this doesn't bother some of you, but for us this would turn us off to river cruising. I would wonder about the strength of a company that would require this much money up front for something more than a year away.

It is a way for them to us your money Thay all do it ,Thay do give you a nice dicount for doing so..

I was going to book our May 2013 Viking Paris to Normandy cruise in April but balked at paying in full in 30 days, a YEAR in advance. We have 2 other vacations before then! Anyway, the lady at Viking called back and said it was because of the 2/1 promotional pricing but she could extend the final payment to November. So that's what we did. I only had to pay the $500 pp deposit in April.

Uniworld offers a large discount, up to $1,000 pp if you pay in full at time of booking. This is a HUGE savings and one has to weigh the advantages of a big credit card bill! Plus U gives a discount for past passengers.

We just booked an Elbe trip with Viking for June '13, and they too wanted full payment by the end of the month in which we paid our deposit. After much back and forth with the TA/Viking, we do NOT have to pay in full 'til Dec. 1 2012. If they had offered a discount for paying in full, we would have considered it. Frankly, this will be our last trip with Viking for this very reason.

Uniworld/Avalon cabins on most ships are VERY comfortable and large -- regular hotel style beds with easy chairs, desk, tables, etc. Large shower stalls even if the bathrooms are small (but very well appointed). All in all, finishing touches area perfect. On the Elbe cruise, only a few of the cabins are large (as the ship isn't big). We do NOT like cabins where the beds are couches during the day and beds at night.

I purchase a travel policy yearly - and then only have to bump it up if/when I am doing a "big" trip. This way I can do a number of small trips and never worry about having to purchase insurance for a few days out of the country.

Franksi, could you tell me who your insurer is? This sounds interesting.

As for Viking, I too was told back in February that I'd have to pay in full by May for a trip next October. The TA didn't like it any more than I did. Presumably this is because prices are expected to go up, but still.

I'd be fine to be given the choice, as Avalon and Uniworld apparently do--pay up front and you'll save X number of $$. But don't force me--so Viking is out for me.

Archived