Just one little question;; can you use travel kettles on the ship i think i have read somewhere you cannot then i read you can , just so im sure, thanks

No, you're not supposed to but in the planned refurb of Celebration and Dream tea/coffee maing facilities will be provided in the cabins.

It depends on when you are sailing whether that will be complete - Dream is scheduled to be done just prior to the start of the winter season 2012 and Celebration before summer 2013 although from what we read there seems to be a rolling programme of cabin up-grades on Celebration taking place already so that could be pot luck if the cabin you get has had the treatment or not!

Thanks for answering this one Kruzseeka :) I will keep quiet about this:rolleyes:

Except to say, that while they allow smoking on wooden decks, I cannot see how kettles can be a hazard:(:confused:

I nearly mentioned you Linda - then decided it would be better to keep schtum!! :D ;)

Prob because there are people on the wooden decks 90% of the time and there are also probably CCTV monitoring the decks so if a fire does breakout, it's noticeable and something can Be done straight away were as in a cabin by the time the fire alarm has been activated and crew have made to the affected cabin, it may have spread and caused a lot of damage? Just a thought.....

I was always told the 'no kettles' rule was because the ships wiring system couldn't cope, but I can't imagine a full rewiring will take place on Dream & Celebration when they install kettles :rolleyes: Once this is done, how can Thomson then claim kettles aren;t allowed on other ships because they are a fire hazard??

I was always told the 'no kettles' rule was because the ships wiring system couldn't cope, but I can't imagine a full rewiring will take place on Dream & Celebration when they install kettles :rolleyes: Once this is done, how can Thomson then claim kettles aren;t allowed on other ships because they are a fire hazard??

I suppose it might have something to do with the rating of the appliance - if they provide the tea/coffee making machines at least they have control over the loading on the system and the fuse ratings etc.

We do know someone who was using something in their cabin they shouldn't have - and it did blow the fuses - but how extensively I'm not sure.

Might that be relevant.....just asking the question - I'm no expert on such things!

on line dictionary result (one of many ) :eek:

kettle (k

ebreve.giftprime.gifl)

A steep, bowl-shaped hollow in ground once covered by a glacier. Kettles are believed to form when a block of ice left by a glacier becomes covered by sediments and later melts, leaving a hollow. They are usually tens of meters deep and up to tens of kilometers in diameter and often contain surface water.

Stevie:)

I suspect because Thomsons kettles will have been safety checked,whereas if a passenger takes their own it ain`t.Much like years ago if you were unfortunate to have to go into hospital and you wanted to take an electrical appliance in it had to go through a safety check first.

animated-gifs-construction-sites-092.gif

I suspect because Thomsons kettles will have been safety checked,whereas if a passenger takes their own it ain`t.Much like years ago if you were unfortunate to have to go into hospital and you wanted to take an electrical appliance in it had to go through a safety check first.

Yes, I worked in school and all electrical items had to be safety checked including laptops and battery cables. Mine still has the certified sticker on them!! Health (Elf) and Safety:cool:

I said I would keep quiet on this, but........ quite agree with this:D:D

Agree Jim, Thomson covering their backs on this.:rolleyes:

Not long to go now Jim - are you packing yet or Does Mrs Jim do it all?:D

Yes, it has been posted on here in the past that using a kettle sets off the alarm on the bridge from the steam, and you get somebody banging on your door looking for the fire.Same thing can happen with steam from shower if you leave bathroom door open.

Well. they are going to be busy knocking on doors when they put kettles in the cabins on the Dream and Celebration:D:D

Do they have kettles in the cabins on FO Linda?

Jan

They certainly do Jan:D That's one of the reasons why I like them:D:D

Thanks Linda, I thought I'd read that they have tea/coffee facilities in the cabins.:):)

Jan

Thank you all for answering my question about taking Kettles, i only ask as my husband wakes at about 5.30 even while on holidays and makes himself about 4 cups of tea before i get up, he will have to go on deck to see if he can find one there

Thank you all for answering my question about taking Kettles, i only ask as my husband wakes at about 5.30 even while on holidays and makes himself about 4 cups of tea before i get up, he will have to go on deck to see if he can find one there

Plenty of tea to be found in the buffet, The problem is there will be food nearby as well :D

Archived