first time flying with 3 kids

reallyexcited

so we have not flown with kids ( when we only had one that was 1) since 2003. We drive to florida every year ( either for a cruise or disney) from northern NJ. My kids are GREAT road trip travelers!

BUT we just drove to disney a few weeks ago and now we just planned another cruise on July 28th. I am trying to find a way to fly b/c we are not up for another long road trip so soon. I think I can find a reasonable flight.

My kids are 3, 7, 10. They all have Ipod touches, DS's, kindles, etc.

Will this be enough?

I plan on bringing some paper books for all 3 and maybe some cards. Of course I'll pack snacks!

they are generally go with the flow kids but I am not sure what to expect on a plane. The flight is a little under 3 hours.

We travel with our 3 children often and find that the plane trip is really no different than car trips - except the bathroom stops are easier:). If they can survive the car rides they will be fine on the plane. We take a few magazines etc for the "no electronic devices" times. My 8 year old girl plays happily with her doll and clothes for a chunk of the trip as well. I agree that snacks are a necessity. Have a great flight!

If your kids are anything like mine, they'll be too excited about being on a plane to worry about their electronic devices. My kids (5 and 3) fly about twice a year and they both love it. They only intermittently bother with their Leap Frogs and coloring books, because they're too busy staring out the window or watching the flight attendants make their rounds. They enjoy walking up and down the aisle and making cute faces at the aisle-seat passengers. I allow them to walk, but if they start running or acting up, they come back to their seats immediately.

Being in the airport waiting for their flight offers its own fun. There are planes to watch, and people to watch, and people boarding planes to watch; and so on. If you're lucky, you'll be in an airport with a moving sidewalk; lots of fun there too! The better airports have little play areas that your 3 YO, at least, would enjoy. Failing that, if you can find an unoccupied gate area, let him/her run around there to burn off some energy. For the older kids, the flight arrivals and departures board offers an opportunity for a quick geography lesson.

To avoid any unpleasant surprises, be sure to explain to them ahead of time what to expect. Tell them what to do at security (when you're standing in the security line is NOT the time to express negative opinions about the TSA); how to board their plane and find a seat; what it feels like to take off, climb, descend, and land; what will happen with their luggage and how they'll get it back at the end of the flight; what the overhead lighted picture of the seat belt being joined together means; and so on. Once you find out what airline and type of aircraft you'll be on, show them pictures of that particular combination so they'll know what to look for. Bring gum, to combat the effects of climbing and descending on their ear drums.

For a first flight, it's probably best to err on the side of bringing too much stuff, rather than not enough. But don't be surprised if you end up not needing a lot of what you bring.

Flying will be much easier than driving and you'll probably look forward to flying from here on out. NJ to FL is a quick trip and I don't think you'll have any problems keeping the kids entertained w/the electronics they'll have. They will probably spend a lot of time looking outside the window. ;)

We thought about driving to Florida but Decided on Grabbing ships out on the East Coast. When I saw the prices for airline tickets I was like :eek:!! So we have DVD players for the car and lots of movies.

P.S. Plus I can't stand TSA(Touch Squad Administration)

With a shortish flight and kids this age, you'll be fine. I first flew with my kids when they were 4 and 6 (teenagers now!) and I found it easiest if I sat between them, rather than let them sit together - less bickering, and also I could help them open snacks, put on seat belts, etc. I could also stop them from kicking the seats in front (not that they ever did, but i've been kicked by a fair few kids sitting behind whilst on my travels - very annoying!!!) Have them go to the toilet before boarding, and hopefuly they can stay in their seats for the duration of the flight (the aisles are narrow and kids often get in the way of the trollies going up and down. I also never let my kids wear open toed shoes in the airport as I was always scared they'd get their toes run over by heavy luggage trollies, and never let them go near the luggage carousel in case they get in the way of other pasengers swinging heavy luggage around. Have a great holiday - good luck!

I agree that the only difference is how you get through the airport. Otherwise it's just like a car ride, but with built-in bathrooms ;) I would talk about what will happen when you get to the airport, how you will check in (requires a lot of patience...check in online if you can), and especially what to do going through security. I've seen little ones have absolute meltdowns over their favorite toy having to go through the scanner. We told DS2 his stuffie was going on a special ride and would meet him on the other side, fortunately he was fine with this explanation. FWIW we have a system where I go through the scanner first, then the kids, then DH, so that if someone gets pulled aside there is one of us on each side. Usually the kids don't have to take off their shoes, but sometimes they do, so have them prepared (slip on shoes are helpful for the little ones). Have a system where everyone is responsible for their own bag so nothing goes missing; it's been our experience that this is most likely to happen at security. We also do quick item counts periodically so we know we have all our stuff.

Our boys do well with the on-board entertainment, but a DS/iPod/iPad is helpful when waiting in the airport. When they were too little for electronics, we had small toys that were brought out to keep them entertained. Just walking around the airport and watching the planes can take up an hour! We also have gum/chewy candies readily available for take off and landing, and sometimes we use children's gravol if turbulence is an issue.

Have a great trip!

thanks! I think it's going to be fine. It looks as though we are going to book the same flight my dad is on. ( he booked the cruise months ago and just asked us to go with him this week) We always drive but since we just drove to Florida a few weeks ago I am not up to it again so soon ( my Dh is a horrible long distance driver)

I'll have to remember to talk to them about going through security! my 7 year old will ask a million questions

Definitely prep the kids about security and the lines they may encounter and what to expect (what they will have to do, etc)

I would also make each older kid responsible for their luggage. We fly about 2-3 times a year (kids are 8 & 14) and we usually each have a rolling carryon and a backpack/tote bag. Everyone is reponsible for their gear ( a rule of mine in general "you want to play baseball/swim/cheer etc, you carry your bag"). Even your 3 year old can carry his/her own backpack with their plane toys etc. It's amazing how more carefully they choose what they "NEED" when they know they have to carry it. :rolleyes:

One last tip is to board as late a possible with the kids. Send DH (or you) on early with as many bags as he can handle and stow them and get seats ready (lift arms etc). Let the kids get their energy out before you board. No fun to board early and then have to sit and wait and wait and ....

One last tip is to board as late a possible with the kids. Send DH (or you) on early with as many bags as he can handle and stow them and get seats ready (lift arms etc). Let the kids get their energy out before you board. No fun to board early and then have to sit and wait and wait and ....

If you're flying Southwest Airlines, you should board as soon as you can, so that you can find seats together. (In case you don't know, they don't pre-assign seats.)

In any case, boarding early has never been a problem for us. The kids enjoy looking out the window at all the activity on the tarmac, or else watching the other passengers file aboard.

Since it is their first flight, here's hoping that the novelty helps out. It helps it is a shorter flight, but it is a good thing to think through the process before hand. If they know what to expect and if you are prepared, it will be a good experience for everyone. Good Luck!

It is only 3 hours. You are over reacting.

DON

If you've ever been on a flight with screaming children, you know she is not over reacting. Better to be over prepared than suffer the consequences.

Bring all the electronics but keep in mind that they need to wear headsets for anything that makes noise (video games, DVD player, etc.) and can't use them for the first and last 20 minutes or so of the flight, so have an alternate.

If they can handle a car trip like that a plane shouldn't be an issue.

My rules for DD11 & DS8:

1. You carry your own carry on. This helps keep the weight down and makes them think about what they really NEED to bring.

2. Once on the Airport, and until we leave the airport at the other end, we use our modified "Mall Rules". The main difference is that we expect you to do as you are told right away, and not ask "WHY?" questions before doing it. Normally, we think asking "WHY" we have to do something before doing it is a reasonable thing to do. In a potential emergency, or more likely a tight connection, I just want you acting, not asking questions. Of course, you are allowed to ask later, once we are sitting somewhere.

3. Inside security or Customs (especially in the US) your mouths are closed and Dad does ALL the talking on behalf of the family. You only speak when asked a direct question by the officer. You answer only the question with a Yes/No or as SHORT an answer as you can give, and still be 100% truthful. This is definitely not the time to be funny, stubborn, anti-authoritarian, politically active, or questioning.

Inside security or Customs (especially in the US) your mouths are closed and Dad does ALL the talking on behalf of the family. You only speak when asked a direct question by the officer. You answer only the question with a Yes/No or as SHORT an answer as you can give, and still be 100% truthful. This is definitely not the time to be funny, stubborn, anti-authoritarian, politically active, or questioning.

Excellent point. We have the same rules for our DS' who are 7 and 4, but it is a very good rule to have. We have had customs officers ask the kids where we have been, what they did etc, and others who almost gave death glares. We do "practice" how to answer the question, especially with DS1 who tends to get anxious in these types of situations and I'd rather not deal with him breaking down in tears when asked where he went on vacation ;)

DS1 once started asking me why the TSA agents were scanning his bag, as we were going through the line. I told him that sometimes bad people try to bring things on airplanes that could hurt us, and the TSA people are there to keep everyone safe. I thought FOR SURE we were going to get pulled aside for an additional inspection, but the agent told me I had a great explanation and wished us a safe flight. Then DS1 got the talk about how security has the same rules as customs :rolleyes:

thank for all the great advice. i am slightly worried if security asks my 10 year old DD a question. She has selective mutism and very rarely speaks in public ..especially in a stressful high anxiety situation like that.

I plan on talking to all the kids ahead of time but I will prepare DD separately.

I have to remember to tell them that mommy does all the talking unless they are spoken to. My 7 year old can be very animated!!

thank for all the great advice. i am slightly worried if security asks my 10 year old DD a question. She has selective mutism and very rarely speaks in public ..especially in a stressful high anxiety situation like that.

I plan on talking to all the kids ahead of time but I will prepare DD separately.

I have to remember to tell them that mommy does all the talking unless they are spoken to. My 7 year old can be very animated!!

The odds are that the agent at security will ask your children their names at the least. They always ask my youngest ones this, and it's no big deal. I am not sure why this would be a "stressful" situation? You will be standing right there. Just have her be prepared for this.

This is a short and easy flight. You will probably spend more time getting to and from the airport, getting through check-in and security, etc., then you will on the plane.

The odds are that the agent at security will ask your children their names at the least. They always ask my youngest ones this, and it's no big deal. I am not sure why this would be a "stressful" situation? You will be standing right there. Just have her be prepared for this.

This is a short and easy flight. You will probably spend more time getting to and from the airport, getting through check-in and security, etc., then you will on the plane.

Security always ask my kids their names, sometimes dirctly and sometimes like "who is John." They also sometimes ask "who are you traveling with?" Or "where are you going?" I would prepare the kids for these type of questions, again stressing tgis is not the time to be a wise-en-heimer.

I'm not saying this is a stressful situation for me...I'm saying for my child with severe selective mutism this could be..anytime a stranger talks to her in unfamiliar surroundings it's high anxiety for her.

I will absolutely prepare her though..she's 10 so she's old enough to understand it's important. Unfortunately Selective mutism is not something there is a "cure " for so we just deal with it the best we can.

thank you for all the advice! I think my kids are going to love the plane ride!

I'm not saying this is a stressful situation for me...I'm saying for my child with severe selective mutism this could be..anytime a stranger talks to her in unfamiliar surroundings it's high anxiety for her.

I will absolutely prepare her though..she's 10 so she's old enough to understand it's important. Unfortunately Selective mutism is not something there is a "cure " for so we just deal with it the best we can.

thank you for all the advice! I think my kids are going to love the plane ride!

Would it help to giver her a notepad and pencil so she could WRITE the answer instead of having to speak? It is a disability, and that is a relatively simple accommodation.

Perhaps the single best bit of advice for flying with children came to us from our paediatrician.

He advised me to dose our daughter with childrens/baby benadryl and baby/childrens motrin 20 minutes before the flight.

Reduces the likelihood of the discomfort from the pressure change and has the delightful side effect of making most kids a bit drowsy!

Our joke was always how "Odd" it was that she ALWAYS seemed to be coming down with a cold when ever we flew...

Kids with sore ears are NOT happy. This pretty much eliminates that possibility.

My other fall back when traveling, no matter what the mode, was to have a bag with snacks and treats, interesting little toys and games and puzzles. I always had a fun time at Target and the dollar stores stocking up on what ever looked interesting.

I only pulled them out as needed and often did not use up everything I had brought for a trip and saved it for the next journey.

Perhaps the single best bit of advice for flying with children came to us from our paediatrician.

He advised me to dose our daughter with childrens/baby benadryl and baby/childrens motrin 20 minutes before the flight.

If you go this route, and your child hasn't taken Benadryl before, please do a trial run before your flight. It can have the opposite effect on some children, and winds them up like tops.

Archived