Money Saving Tips

A general pattern of living BELOW my means is all I need. I understand the difference btw want and need. I may spend $100 on cable tv and internet per month, but I never eat out, drive a 14 year old car and shop at Sears sales for clothes. No high definition tv in my house. Although I did just get a new computer (under $500) and boy is it fast!

We live this same lifestyle. We're not high-income people, but we are frugal. We eat out rarely, we're careful about grocery shopping, and we don't have the latest gadgets around the house or the latest fashions in our closets. We buy used items, when reasonable. We can't make $500 at a yard sale every year because we don't buy-buy-buy new stuff all the time, then discard it months later.

Because we've lived this way all our married life, we are able to live in a nice, mortgage-free house, drive paid-for cars, have no credit card debt, and have savings towards retirement and our children's educations.

I never understood the saving change thing. I understand not wanting to have to have it in your purse and throwing it in a jar, but the idea of using that as a "savings account" is lost on me.

I don't get it either, but so many people LOVE this method that bringing up a negative comment is bound to trigger an attack. The way I see it, having $20 in the jar is no different than having $20 in the bank account (except that it's safer in the bank account, and it draws a miniscule amount of interest).

Okay, am I the only one that charges their cruise? I use the card that accumulates "cruise points", which can be redeemed for $$$ off a cruise, or eventually a free cruise:) .

I'll use the charge card to pay for my cruise because I get reward points; however, I'll pay the balance in full as soon as the bill arrives to avoid finance charges. If you don't carry a revolving balance, a credit card can be a great tool.

Use coupons! I am the coupon queen when it comes to grocery and clothes shopping. I don't use coupons often because they tend to be for items I don't buy (i.e, pre-packaged convenience items). I save TONS by shopping at a salvage food store.

Shop when stores have their end of the season sales. Love this tip! The fact that they can slash prices so significantly during "sales" just shows you how much mark-up there is in the first place. I also buy from ebay, consignment stores, and even yard sales. Very, very little clothing in my house is purchased full-price.

Always go out to dinner or eat at home before going to the movies, sporting events, museums, concerts, or other functions. This is a good health tip as well as a money-saver.

Eat at home more. Unless I go to a specialty restaurant that prepares food that I can not cook, then I eat at home. I figure if I could cook it, then I prefer to eat it at home. Taking this one step farther . . . when you do eat out, drink water. At a casual restaurant like Applebees or TGI Fridays, a family of four will pay $6-10 just for drinks (more if they drink alcoholic drinks). The restaurant counts on you not noticing the huge mark-up on drinks because it's all tied in together with the rest of the bill.

Dryell works just a great as they dry cleaner. It even comes with a stain remover. Except for my husband's suits and my dress coat, we don't have dry clean-only items. You also save time by not running to the dry cleaner's place.

Save pennies and change in a jar. When it is full take it to the bank. I don't like this one myself. If you do save change, certainly do not take it to the Change-star thing at the grocery store. I can't believe people go to all the trouble to save change, then they give away almost 10% of it to the machine.

The best way to avoid spending money is to stay away from shopping areas unless the purchase is planned.

Though I am a voracious reader, I almost never buy books. I use our local library and BookCrossing.com to get the books I want. Freecycle.org is a way to get and give items at no cost.

I agree that staying out of the stores is one of the best ways to avoid spending! How many times have you run into Walmart to pick up three items, only to emerge an hour later with six bags? Walking through the mall "window shopping" creates needs in your minds -- how many times have you noticed a cute little dress and bought it, knowing full well that you have plenty of dresses at home?

I love yard sale books! For .25 or .50 per book, I can often pick up plenty of summer reading!

I don't get it either, but so many people LOVE this method that bringing up a negative comment is bound to trigger an attack. The way I see it, having $20 in the jar is no different than having $20 in the bank account (except that it's safer in the bank account, and it draws a miniscule amount of interest).

I actually do both. I throw my change into a jar and when it fills up, take it to the bank.

I'm actually really excited. My friend refered me to ING which gives you 3% interest on your savings account, and it's all done online. It's much better than the one I get for my "real life" account. I named my ING account "Brenda's Cruise Fund" so that I can start saving now for my next one. The best part was because I was refered by someone, they gave me $25 as a bonus for opening an account. Yay! $55 down...a lot more to go. *g*

I actually do both. I throw my change into a jar and when it fills up, take it to the bank.

I'm actually really excited. My friend refered me to ING which gives you 3% interest on your savings account, and it's all done online. It's much better than the one I get for my "real life" account. I named my ING account "Brenda's Cruise Fund" so that I can start saving now for my next one. The best part was because I was refered by someone, they gave me $25 as a bonus for opening an account. Yay! $55 down...a lot more to go. *g*

What is ING? What is there website address? Thanks!

I get paid to do product testing and surveys....It's a lot of fun, and the money really adds up! I can refer you to some websites that offer to pay you for your services- send me an e-mail if interested....

I would love to know of the websites that pay one to do product testing and surveys. Thanks so much - playthemax@aol.com

Use coupons! I am the coupon queen when it comes to grocery and clothes shopping. I don't use coupons often because they tend to be for items I don't buy (i.e, pre-packaged convenience items). I save TONS by shopping at a salvage food store.

Save pennies and change in a jar. When it is full take it to the bank. I don't like this one myself. If you do save change, certainly do not take it to the Change-star thing at the grocery store. I can't believe people go to all the trouble to save change, then they give away almost 10% of it to the machine.

I typically do not eat pre-package foods (they are unhealthy), but still manage to save by using coupons. Especially on cereals, fruit juices, specialty items, icecream and yogurt.

I take my change to the bank because they count it for "free" using their change machine and that change goes into my savings account to earn interest.

I do not want to waste time counting change and the money is better off in the bank.

I never understood the saving change thing. I understand not wanting to have to have it in your purse and throwing it in a jar, but the idea of using that as a "savings account" is lost on me.

Are you kidding, you'd be surprise at how much you can save in coins in a short period of time. I often am at the free Commerce Bank Candy (I think thats here name) coin counter. Its just easier to put the coins away, epecially pennies than to save actual hardbacks sometimes. Plus with these coin counters now, no more rolling. Yes!!!

I get paid to do product testing and surveys....It's a lot of fun, and the money really adds up! I can refer you to some websites that offer to pay you for your services- send me an e-mail if interested....

All the sites I've seen before ask you to pay money. If you have some recommendations, I'd love to see them. Brendaisbored @ aol.com

Rule # 1 - NEVER pay to take surveys....They should (and will) be paying you! Sometimes, my payements are not cash- they are points that can be redeemed for cash, giftcards, or prizes...and sometimes, the product testing is the reward - but, the way I see, if I test a box of cereal, that's one less box of cereal I have to buy....

the best site is MyPoints.com you get e-mails and click on them for 5 points and you get more points for buying stuff through them. 3500 points will get you $25 gift certificates. If you sign up please enter my user name as jmeakim so I can get points.

I also do surveys with SurveySpot.com and NFO Research via e-mail and you can get money.

Also look around your community for research study opportunities. I'm doing a market research food study next week for $75 and 2 free meals.

I NEAVER pay to do anything like this.

There is also www.mysurvey.com and greenfieldonline.com.

There are also some sites that will send you emails daily and all you have to do is click on the email to confirm that you read it and you earn $ with each click.

If any of you are interested those, let me know and I'll forward the information to you. (I get credit if anyone signs up if I refer them to the sites).

Happy saving!!

Are you kidding, you'd be surprise at how much you can save in coins in a short period of time. I often am at the free Commerce Bank Candy (I think thats here name) coin counter. Its just easier to put the coins away, epecially pennies than to save actual hardbacks sometimes. Plus with these coin counters now, no more rolling. Yes!!!

If you're JUST saving coins, you will not save any money. Here's why: Say you normally have $20 pocket money for the work week. This pays for sodas, an occasional lunch out, etc.

You decide to put away your change, and suddenly your $20 runs out on Wednesday! Hey, it usually lasts until Friday! What do most people do? Without much thought, they run by the ATM and pick up another $20 to tide them over for the rest of the week. Sure, you accumulate money in the jar, but if you're taking out more to cover your usual little expenses, you're going to come up short overall. That's being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Unless you ALSO cut back, a change jar could actually COST you money. If, once your $20 for the week is gone, you stop spending, then you'll save money (regardless of whether you save the excess in your wallet or a jar). But it's the cutting back -- not the coin jar -- that saves the money.

There is also www.mysurvey.com and greenfieldonline.com.

There are also some sites that will send you emails daily and all you have to do is click on the email to confirm that you read it and you earn $ with each click.

If any of you are interested those, let me know and I'll forward the information to you. (I get credit if anyone signs up if I refer them to the sites).

Happy saving!!

I would be interested...patricesanders@bellsouth.net

TY

Archived