dnotts

dnotts

Hi

I am new to cruising and have noticed how expensive it is to go on the tours offered by the cruise line. We are due to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam 11th August 2012 and want to make the most of our 1st cruise. Anyone who can give me advise or tips to save money on the port tours would be much appreciated. My children are 25 and 20.

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

Please tell us the ports you are visiting.

Or, on these boards you can go to the port of calls boards and see what other people have done. In many ports you can grab a taxi to the beach or a bus to the local tourist site.

You can also look for your roll call with people on your cruise who are looking for others to share independent tours. These are usually less expensive and many less people.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Many agree with you, and chose to either do private tours, or just travel in the ports on our own. This is called DIY, or do it yourself.

Some places to do some research. First the Europe Ports board, as the N. Amsterdam will be in the Med:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Second, the Holland America board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Lastly, to meet others on your cruise, and possibly gain info from their planning the Roll Call boards are used. Here is yours:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1562535

There are some very attractive savings booking directly through the tour vendor, many times for the exact same tour that is sold on board the ship. Research the tour vendors because one of the draw backs to using a tour provider other than through the cruise line is that if, for some unforeseen reason the tour arrives back to the pier late, the cruise line will not wait for you. Ideally you are able to plan with extra time at the end of the tour to get back to the ship and be able to wander around the pier area.

ChipQ http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Or, on these boards you can go to the port of calls boards and see what other people have done. In many ports you can grab a taxi to the beach or a bus to the local tourist site.

You can also look for your roll call with people on your cruise who are looking for others to share independent tours. These are usually less expensive and many less people.

Hi

We are due to visit Livorno, Civitav., Naples, Messina, Nafplion, Katakolon, Kerkira, Dubrovnik and Venice.

Many thanks

Hi

How do I find out the role call on our cruise?

Thanks

As the e-mail you received when joining the CC states:

Our famous Roll Calls are for people who are going on a specific cruiser to meet each other before cruising, and discuss all aspects of their cruise. This is *the* place to find others who might want to share a shore excursion or tour in a port of call. Roll Call forums are available for most major cruise lines and ships.

Reading What is a ROLL CALL and how do I find mine? can give additional information.

There were other suggestions in the introductory e-mail on how best to use the CC. It may be worth reading again.

In post #3 CruiserBruce was kind enough to take the time/effort to look for, and post, a link to your specific Roll Call.

Good luck -

Hi

How do I find out the role call on our cruise?

Thanks

Go to Roll Calls, cliik on Holland America. It will come up with all the HAL ships. Click on yours and then see if there is one for the date of your cruise.

Nafplion was one of the first port stops on our cruise and we loved it. It's beautiful. We took a taxi to Palamidhi Castle and walked back down. Then we just wandered all over, stopping for a gelato or beverage here and there.

Archived