LIVE from Radiance of the Seas...5/11 and 5/18. Alaska!

Good morning!

Thank you for posting that. My mind has been frazzled trying to pack and organize this trip in 2 weeks! Never even thought to post the iten!! That is our iten the first week, and we reverse it the second week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning Brad

No problem........ just here to help. Wish we were doing the 2nd leg but at least I will get to enjoy it thru you.:D

For you it looks like better weather the 2nd week as well....Its going to be a little wet next week

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I've always enjoyed reading live threads, and have learned TONS from them in the past. I hope everyone enjoys! I've always wanted to do one in the past but never wanted to bring a laptop, now thanks to the iPad and iPhone this is finally possible!

Answers to some posted questions:

hollon: Our cabins, both weeks we have ocean view cabins on Deck 3. I'm probably the worst person to ask cabin advice on. We spend little to no time in the cabin and almost always book interior cabins. We were fortunate to be upgraded to ocean views (I'm guessing the Diamond Plus upgrade program), but would have been very happy to have our normal interior cabins.

This is the second time we are doing Alaska in May. Initially we booked May several years ago because we wanted to cruise while schools are still in session, and hopefully less kids onboard. Not that we have anything against kids, but when schools are out the prices tend to jump. We would like to try later in the year to see how different the experience is but have not done that yet.

BuckyJr: I know which cabins you are referring to. I'll try to walk by and see if I can get a picture on the 18th when they are being prepped for the new guests

grandmamlw: I'm sure you will need your winter jacket! Right now in Vancouver is sunny and about 50, I'm sure that will feel like the Arctic!!! The day at the glacier I can guarantee you it will be freezing cold the closer you get to the glacer!

Hi Brad

Thanks so much for starting this thread. We fly to Vancouver from the UK in 2 weeks time to join the Radiance when you disembark and will be eagerly following your posts.

Would be interested to know how they handle US immigration. I'm guessing we will have to do it at the first port which will be Ketchikan? Hope it doesn't take too long!

Have a wonderful time:)

Lisa and Andy

"BuckyJr: I know which cabins you are referring to. I'll try to walk by and see if I can get a picture on the 18th when they are being prepped for the new guests"

Specifically 4588 if you can! THANKS!!! :D

Good morning Brad

No problem........ just here to help. Wish we were doing the 2nd leg but at least I will get to enjoy it thru you.:D

For you it looks like better weather the 2nd week as well....Its going to be a little wet next week

The weather does not look good for next week, and although we have been praying for it to clear up.......so far, the sun Gods have not been listening!

My DW and much of her family, including her 91 year old father, and mom, and sister and BIL, are all on the Rhapsody, sailing out of Canada Place tomorrow. I don't know your departure time, but their's is 4:30 PM, and, at least they will be able to see you........until you pass them by!!

Enjoy your cruise Brad, and hopefully the second week brings much needed sun!!:)

Rick

Hello everyone!

It has been a busy and enjoyable day! I can't believe how nice the weather is here today. Bright sun, and a overall a nice warm day. Although I still had a light sweater on during the day, it was in the 50's, you could tell that it was a wonderfully warm day for the people of Vancouver. People out in about in shorts, tshirts, every convertible we saw today had the top down to enjoy the wonderful day!

We spent some time touring Stanley Park again, it never ceases to amaze me just how beautiful the park is and the views of the city!

Attached are some pictures of the totem poles in Stanley Park and views of the city from the park.

After checking into the hotel we went and visited a restaurant we saw on FoodNetwork Called "Meat and Bread" we drove past it earlier at lunch time and the line was out the door. We hit them just in time around 3:30, shortly after we ordered they ran out of the pork sandwich we went for...it was sooooo good. Picture attached!

We are staying at the Sandman Suites on Davie Street, we have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past and have enjoyed it. We love the great location, plenty of restaurants (we didn't utilize any this time), and nice big rooms with separate bedroom, living room, and a small kitchen with stove, dishwasher, and clothes washer dryer. Although the hotel is nice, it does need some sprucing up. As you can see from the picture the TVs in the room are still the huge tube TVs! Certainly doesn't detract from the room/hotel for us, but nothing dates a cruise ship or a hotel than an older tube TV.

Until tomorrow!

Stanley Park

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336696689.098144.jpg.e77f1e88bf8f482ada63c62809efe336.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336696673.643020.jpg.5b0a1bdf8214fa51c7ae4921a64cf994.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336696659.494187.jpg.997fe0a2b9c3cfc763fc262babe44cc1.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336696706.269252.jpg.5087bdfcb5729f6931ffbc7cb08859b1.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336696755.080139.jpg.c5f7edec09e64575ecb20e0c2d153b5f.jpg

Oh wow...thank you so much for doing this!!

We are on the Radiance in two weeks... so we'll be boarding as your'e leaving..

I'm enjoying it so far! Like the suggestion for the restaurant in Vancouver ..

We're flying into Seattle and taking the train to Vancouver on Thursday .. hoping to see a bit of Vancouver!

SOOOO looking forward to this thread!

Thanks for the review Brad. I'll be on in 42 days. Can't wait to read about the next 2 weeks. Is there a chance you could take pictures of the dining room menus and post them. We are doing northbound and I would love to be able to plan specialty restaurants ahead of time. Thanks again for taking the time to post live. Enjoy your trip.

GOOD MORNING!

From a bright and sunny morning in Vancouver!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336750038.283259.jpg.8c00fad485f98e65b4f6838ef3e54b66.jpg

Didn't get up to much last night, as much as we would have loved to enjoy the sights and sounds of Vancouver we were just too tired to venture out.

Just packing up our last few odds and ends will head off to the peir, drop off the luggage, return our rental car back to Avis downtown, and hop on the Canada Line 'sky train' back to Canada Place.

Once onboard the ship I hope to be able to post at least once in the morning and once in the late afternoon. All subject to the cooperation of the "wifi gods" off course!

Brad,

We will be going on the SB trip on the 18th.

As I pack I was wondering what are some important things to pack for an Alaskan cruise???

Carol

LAYERS! Lots of Layers! The weather can change very quickly. It can be wet and chilly, to sunny and warm. We both have jackets that bought from LL Bean that are light waterpoof nylon material that has a removal fleece sweater.

Don't forget lots of memory cards for your cameras and a pair of binoculars. You just never know when you'll see some wildlife that you don't see at home.

Hurry hurry clock time:( Can't wait for Brads pics of embarkation this morning...is the sun up yet in VC?

Either can I! For me the morning in the hotel room before boarding the ship is always the worst! We don't want to get to the peir TOOOOOO early...but of course there is nothing else on our minds than getting to the peir!

Archived