My Carnival Liberty Review w/ lots of pictures - April 28 - May 5, 2012

As I had benefitted so much in the past from reading and enjoying other reviews and pictures on this site, I thought I would try doing a review of my recent Carnival Liberty cruise. So, here we go.

First off, I am Bevie and my hubby is Lorrenzo and we are from Toronto (living in the Brampton area) Go Canada, Go Canada. This was our 11th cruise, 6th on Carnival. We booked this cruise last minute as a "de-stressor" for hubby and I after having a rough couple of months at work. We decided to go with an inside cabin as I thought we could put the extra $$ elsewhere, in particular on our first real B2B on the Breeze in December (WooHoo). I say first REAL as we did B2B with the kids (ages 8 and 5) in November on the Miracle and Imagination.

We left Toronto on Friday, April 27th, the day before our cruise on an early morning flight which was thankfully uneventful and smooth. We stayed at the InterContinental in downtown Miami which was sort of our second choice. Tried as I could I was not able to get a hotel in Miami Beach / South Beach through Priceline for the costs I usually pay so decided to stay downtown instead.

Pictures of the Hotel:

2012_04_27_0012.jpg

2012_04_27_0014.jpg

2012_04_27_0017.jpg

2012_04_28_0020.jpg

2012_04_28_0021.jpg

2012_04_28_0027.jpg

The InterContinental is a beautiful hotel and very clean which I was quite happy about. But, a word to the wise, yes, we all know that check-in time is usually around 3:30 p.m. but more often than not, you are able to check in earlier. Well, that was not to be the case. We got to the hotel around 11:00am and was told we needed to wait until 3:30 for check-in or pay an extra $100 and the room could be available now. We declined and chose instead to have the bell man lock up our luggage with the other guests luggages who were in the same situation as we were, giving him a tip of course. In any event, everything worked out whereas we were able to get access to our room by 1:30 p.m.

We then took a shuttle that made pickups at the InterContinental and a few other hotels in the area for $10 per person return and headed to Dolphin Mall. We spent the day doing some serious shopping there and took the last shuttle back to the hotel which left the mall at 8:30 p.m. We ordered in dinner and called it a night as we were tired after being up since 4:00 p.m

Up next, cruise day. My lunch is over so I do have to get back to work. Need to keep working so I can keep feeding my cruising addiction.

Thanks guys. I am a bit nervous doing this review so bear with me.

I just purchased a new camera a few months ago, my very first DSLR, the Canon Rebel T3i so was quite anxious to start taking vacation pictures with it. I have tons and tons to learn about photography but do hope to get better in time with some lessons as I really enjoy taking pictures and usually always have my camera with me. I tend to take way too many pictures ALL the time, like several shots just coz i'm thinking hey, 1 or 2 of them must be good. And besides, my hubby thinks I am in love with the delete button too as I am quick to delete the ones I don't like. So, on with it.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 - cruise day had arrived

We did a bit more shopping at the Macy’s in downtown Miami and then checked out of our hotel and headed to the port around noon. At last, the time had arrived for our cruise to begin. Now from past cruise experiences, I was expecting to miss ALL lines and pretty much head right on the ship and have some lunch. Here we go again as this was not to be. Not sure what the delay was but the lines were humongous on the outside, wrapped all the way around and then back around again.

2012_04_28_0033.jpg

We were finally on the ship and having a late lunch by 3:00 p.m. The only good thing about getting on at that time was that our room was ready and we were able to go straight to it. Even our suitcases had arrived at our door by then.

The build up for me for this cruise was HMC and Guy’s Burger so once our bags were safely in the room, we headed straight to Guy’s Burger for some lunch. I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into it so I ordered the straight up burger and took a seat, ready to enjoy it.

Ok, here we go, wait for it, i’m chewing, still chewing, it’s good, it's really good. OMG!!! It is delish!! yummy!! just as I imagined it would be and oh so juicy, rich in flavour and fat and calories free. Bet you didn't know that it was fat and calories fee... well now you do. I truly enjoyed every ounce of it. I ended up having one for the next 3 days and then that was enough.

2012_04_30_0175.jpg

After muster we headed up to the open deck to what was supposed to be a small M&G for our roll call. We met some of our new friends, Mavis and I think her friend's name was Jennie (I apologize if I got the name wrong Mavis)

That's me and hubby

2012_04_28_0045.jpg

Hubby and the Ladies

2012_04_28_0047.jpg

Always love these sail away photos

2012_04_28_0043.jpg

We had reservations at the steakhouse with another couple that I had been chatting with on the roll call, Candyce and her hubby Shannon so didn’t want to over eat and it was already 3:00 p.m. We usually do the steakhouse once or sometimes twice per cruise but were a bit disappointed with dinner this time around and did not book it for a second night as we had originally planned to do. Who knows, the chef might have just been having an “off” night. Another couple from our roll call was also at the steakhouse that night and are also frequent guests at the various steakhouses and though the same thing in that the dinner was not really the best that night. Needless to say, we did not re book for another night.

Our new friends Candyce and her hubby Shannon

2012_04_28_0082.jpg

Up next, HMC, my little paradise on earth.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 – HMC / Caribbean Beach Party Night

This was the port I was most looking forward to and had not been there in about 4 years. My plan was to be on the 1st or 2nd tender going over to the island and pretty much be on the last tender coming back. Well, father nature had other plans and blessed us with some liquid sunshine. This is what you saw when you looked out. Not a drop of sunshine ANYWHERE:mad:

2012_04_29_0093.jpg

2012_04_29_0094.jpg

The sky opened up and it rained the entire day. We thought we would wait until around 11:00 to see how the weather was doing and if still raining, we would brave it and still head over to HMC. The rain never stopped so hubby and I headed out around 11:30 as the tender services were still operating. We stayed about 1 ½ hour in the water and then headed back to the ship. It sort of reminded me of being a kid growing up in Guyana and when it rained, we would run around in the yard, playing in the rain.

Can’t be mad at father nature but it royally sucked. I bet if mother nature was in charge she would have known that we were coming and looking forward to being there and would for sure had blessed us with a bit of sunshine. I have such love for HMC but the greater powers won.

It eventually stopped raining at some point in time in the evening and we got perfect whether for the Caribbean deck party that night.

I have to say the cruise director Jamie was a lot of fun. She was getting down and partying with the guest and enjoying herself, she gave good vibes every time you see her and continued to be a lot of fun throughout the cruise. The DJ played lots of soca / carnival type music which I personally love in my everyday life and I really enjoyed the evening dancing. As we would say in the island, I wuk up a good sweat.

Some ship photos

2012_04_29_0102.jpg

I love the way the lights change colour

2012_04_29_0104.jpg

2012_04_29_0105.jpg

Up next, Sea Day

All the encouragement and kind words will for sure keep me going.

Holy cow, what was up with the crazy lines at embarkation? :eek: Great review so far. Looking forward to more!

Hey girl. Looking forwarding to your next review too whenever that is. We heard all sorts of stories as to why the lines were so long. We heard from the porters that some folks were smuggled on board in Belize and from a Carnival Rep as we were checking in that whenever the ship goes to Belize they have to do extra checks. We also heard from another rep that they have these new computer system that was making things take longer so who knows. I figured something was up that involved Belize as it came up twice from 2 different source. We were just happy to finally get on the ship and get some food coz lord knows we were starving after not having any breakfast.

Great start! wonderful pictures! We did this itinerary (but didn't have the stop in HMC), right before you. Sorry the weather was bad that day. But we had a delay before boarding too. Must be something with the Liberty coming back from the Western that attracts the customs/coast Guard inspectors.

Keep it coming!:D

Hi Bevie. So sorry it rained all day at HMC. I know you were really looking forward to it. Well you know what that means... Book another cruise with HMC on the intinerary. :)

Great review. I'm looking fwd to more.

Very nice review so far please keep it coming. What beautiful couples and photos. Hope we have Bette luck with the Steakhouse on the Splendor.

I am sure you will be fine. Like I said we always do it and sometimes twice per sailing. I don't think I will do it again the first night though. In my mind and just in my mind alone (but now I am speaking it out loud) I was sort of thinking that it was left over meat etc. from the previous cruise and that was the reason but I am sure I am wrong.

GREAT start and very nice pics! Looking forward to more. :D

We go on Liberty April 2013. :)

Very nice review so far please keep it coming. What beautiful couples and photos. Hope we have Bette luck with the Steakhouse on the Splendor.

Great review so far! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks everyone.

Hi Bevie. So sorry it rained all day at HMC. I know you were really looking forward to it. Well you know what that means... Book another cruise with HMC on the intinerary. :)

Great review. I'm looking fwd to more.

Hey Ellen girl, I here you, will have to fulfill that craving for HMC somehow lol. Will see you on the Breeze in December. Enjoy that new grand baby of yours.

HeY, Bevie! Excellent start to your review...Your pictures are Great=)

Can't wait for the Breeze to try that fat/calorie free Guy's Burger!!!!

Thanks for the IC pictures...amazing hotel! I know I made the right choice for December!

Anxiously awaiting More of your Review!!

Hi Bevie,

I'm loving your review so far. Please keep it going as you have time. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your hubby on the Dec 8 Breeze. Keep up the good work and by the way, your photos are great.

Kevin

Archived