Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float

Ozma58

so I'm goingto Alaska on a cruise from Vancouver on 5/19. So would be there the following week. We really really wanted to do the tour because we had heard great things. I called to tour operator directly and said shed feel like she was ripping us off before mid June because we really wouldn't see bears or birds or anything because there are less salmon.... so depends on when you are going... We almost did it anyway - figured the cruiseline wouldn't offer it if it was as bad as they made it sound. but figured they knew best

We are going to do tht bike riding excursion instead.

Does anyone know differently - I can still change my excursion back!

We took this tour booked through the cruise line a few years ago, and we went in July. We didn't see bears or any wildlife other than eagles. However, we did have a nice hike through the woods and a float on a raft, which is what was advertised. As Alaskan excursions go, it was relatively cheap, so if you like the outdoors, I think you will enjoy yourself.

We did this 3 years ago through a private tour operator and really enjoyed it. The raft ride was relaxing and with very beautiful scenery. The hike was enjoyable, also with great scenery. We really enjoyed the day on this tour.

If you enjoy getting out into the fresh air and enjoy a more active day, then you might really enjoy this tour.

On our last cruise we did the Chilkoot tour to the Yukon with the white pass railroad. Although we enjoyed this tour, I enjoyed the hike and raft tour more.

We've scheduled this through a local operator for mid-June. I really wouldn't want to see a bear on the hike. We've driven the road to Dyea and actually walked to the beginning of the trail, also have been to Lake Bennett at the other end of the trail and talked to hikers who are setting off on the trail from Lake Bennett.

Took the Lower Dewey Lake hike last year and Smuggler's Cove a few years before all on our own. The Skagway visitors bureau has a brochure showing local hikes and rating them as to easy, moderate, etc. This tour was highly rated and sounds like fun and then we can say we have been on the beginning and the end of the Chilkoot Trail. There is no way we would hike the trail from beginning to end so this will do!

• 1 month later...

Archived