air fare and overnights

chaucer642

I always fly in early. We are sailing from Rome in October and will spend 2 nights there before boarding. This reduces the stress of worrying about making the ship. It also gives you time to recover from the jet lag. Of course, Rome is a wonderful city with much to see.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We do the same thing -- fly in 2 or 3 days early. This allows for plane delays and gives us a chance to rest up for the cruise. Plus we get a chance to see our embarkation port. One time we decided that we wanted to spend 5 days in Istanbul. In Rome our connecting flight was cancelled and we ended up spending extra time there and had 1 less day in Istanbul.

We are also flying in to Rome two days early. (And spending two days in Athens at the end of the cruise.) As far as how I booked it? Directly with my carrier of choice, paid cash for coach seats then used the upgrade certificates I earned by hitting top tier frequent flyer status to upgrade to Envoy Class for free. :D

I would never ever ever fly from the States to Europe & land the day my tour / cruise was going to start. I'm always cranky & sore. I want a nap & massage. So I build in at least a day of down time / orientation with nothing planned except sleep & food. If I manage to walk around the block or see a church I consider it a busy day. I have found if I don't do this, the rest of my trip is ruined bc I am miserable & tired.

I'd like to get some feedback about how most of you do the airfare to the cruise? I'm looking at traveling from NYC to Rome for a 10 day cruise on the Equinox. Any feedback re: travel would be helpful.

Thanks.

Fly in at least two days precruise.

Take a non-stop overnight flight and pop a Nyqil halfway through the flight.

Resist the temptation to take a nap or go to bed really early that first day you arrive in Rome. Tough it out that day and you will adjust to the time difference by the next day.

Check out pricing through Choice Air through Celebrity. Their pricing is very competitive. We did that for our TA this past October and got a one-way fare from Philly to Barcelona for $535/pp.

Enjoy!

Jo-Ann

If you have money to blow, fly in a couple days early. As to Europe, I just leave the night before, arrive the next day, and get on the ship. On US domestic cruises I leave the same day. I have yet to miss the ship. I've never stayed overnight before a cruise. What you do is up to you.

If you have money to blow, fly in a couple days early. As to Europe, I just leave the night before, arrive the next day, and get on the ship. On US domestic cruises I lave the same day. I have yet to miss the ship.

I'd like to get some feedback about how most of you do the airfare to the cruise? I'm looking at traveling from NYC to Rome for a 10 day cruise on the Equinox. Any feedback re: travel would be helpful.

Thanks.

I use BookingBuddy dot com to find discount fares.

If the cruise is not roundtrip back to the same port then we look at Multi-city option and compare it with two one-way flights. Usually the multi-city is cheaper.

We always fly in at least one day before the cruise in order to make sure we don't miss departure in case there are cancelled flights or delays.

We don't cruise often, so each time pick a new starting point, a new city we want to explore, so we arrive 2-4 days early. Always make our own flight and hotel arrangements.

I remember, even before cruising, I called a travel agency for a land tour and asked about flight conditions - can they put me on a non-stop? So she said, if I know how to use the Internet, I will make better and cheaper arrangements myself. I believe, I still do :)

Archived