Roommate Backing Out - What Now?

Devmegsmum

The person that was to share my room with me is backing out. We booked ES under both of our names and I have paid the deposit. Final isnt due til August. I still want to go. What happens now? Can I remove her name from the reservation? Can I have the room by myself? Are there extra charges ( or less ). Help:confused:

You will have to cancel the booking and take the $50 hit if you want to take someone else. The rest will be put on your account as credit, and if you can prove you paid the whole deposit, you can have your room mates credit put in your name.

If you decide to go alone, the price will be the exact same as if you had 2 people. The cost for 2 people is the exact same as one person in the end.

If you go alone, I would not cancel. Just pay both fares since it's the same price, and have her no-show so you don't lose the $50 per person penalty.

You will have to cancel the booking and take the $50 hit if you want to take someone else. The rest will be put on your account as credit, and if you can prove you paid the whole deposit, you can have your room mates credit put in your name.

If you decide to go alone, the price will be the exact same as if you had 2 people. The cost for 2 people is the exact same as one person in the end.

If you go alone, I would not cancel. Just pay both fares since it's the same price, and have her no-show so you don't lose the $50 per person penalty.

Thanks so much. The no show idea is good. Do I just tell them when I am boarding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd call whoever you booked with if you have a substitute roomie ready to book. I know there are no name changes under ES but I think the fact you're not past final payment may play in your favor.

I'd call whoever you booked with if you have a substitute roomie ready to book. I know there are no name changes under ES but I think the fact you're not past final payment may play in your favor.

I booked online. Thought of calling giving them the sob story. But I may just go with the no show suggestion.

No substitute unfortunately. The person I booked with is flaky. I should have expected this. But I was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

This actually happened with me when I went on liberty, husband couldn't go last minute so I took my sister, it was early saver and they just charged me fifty bucks for the name change. I would not give back the deposit to the flaky person unless I found someone else to take the spot and then I would deduct the 50 dollars. I hate when planning something and people bail after the fact that you placed a deposit, like what a douche lol live and learn

This actually happened with me when I went on liberty, husband couldn't go last minute so I took my sister, it was early saver and they just charged me fifty bucks for the name change. I would not give back the deposit to the flaky person unless I found someone else to take the spot and then I would deduct the 50 dollars. I hate when planning something and people bail after the fact that you placed a deposit, like what a douche lol live and learn

I know! I was doing this person a favour and this is how she treats me. She's a real drama queen so in the long run it may turn out to be a good thing. I just want a relaxing and fun holiday.

I booked online. Thought of calling giving them the sob story. But I may just go with the no show suggestion.

No substitute unfortunately. The person I booked with is flaky. I should have expected this. But I was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Did you book and pay the deposit for both of you? If you did, then you will pay the final payment for both of you and then you can use the no-show option. I you booked yours and they booked theirs, then you will run into a problem when they don't make final payment.

Did you book and pay the deposit for both of you? If you did, then you will pay the final payment for both of you and then you can use the no-show option. I you booked yours and they booked theirs, then you will run into a problem when they don't make final payment.

I paid the $600 deposit for both of us. She stiffed me on paying her half. So it's all me.

Question OP - how long is your cruise? If it's a 7 day cruise and you choose the no show option, I think you would lose more in port charges than the $50 penalty, although I am not sure about this.

Anybody know for sure?

Question OP - how long is your cruise? If it's a 7 day cruise and you choose the no show option, I think you would lose more in port charges than the $50 penalty, although I am not sure about this.

Anybody know for sure?

I thought port charges were refunded for all no-show guests.

You don't pay port fees and taxes for two if there is only one in the cabin

As others said, you can just let her "no show" at the port and then request the taxes/port fees back.

Early saver is hard for "singles" and solos, cause there are too many flakes

with roommates

My personal belief is that early saver is best for 'very stable' people..

people who are in a stable relationship,with a stable homelife, with a stable job that gives them guaranteed time off, with stable health

if you don't fit all of that, early saver can be bad IMHO

Having watched all kinds of "singles", friends, :dating: couples who change mind, change cruises, drop in, out etc I stand by this

The good news is : you are in exact same deal as if you had booked solo, which many people do. You will not have to pay the extra port fees or taxes. You only need to tip for yourself.

More good news : anyone that flaky and inconsiderate would probably be a rotten person to cruise with.

Hopefully you can take advantage of the benefit of early saver: enjoy a good lower fare and find some price drops to take advantage of.

Im booked solo in a aft balcony under ES. I found its cheaper for 1 person in cabin then paying for 2. My cabin base rate was around 1150.00 and total was 1507.00 for 1 passenger. 2 people would put it around 2K. ES was 150.00 off price. That was for 7 day cruise. That wasnt a 200% rate.

Possibly you may end up paying a few hundred more minus the other person port charges if you do it alone. But the cost wont be double.

I have the same situation! I am going alone for the first time and I plan to enjoy every minute and then return home and rub it in to my former cabin mate so that she knows what she missed out on!

Honestly, it is not fair that the remaining person has to pay one penny one since they are going on the cruise and will be sending money during the voyage.

What CCL needs to do is send the person who backed out a bill for what the sailing would have costed them! If they did this, fewer people would back out unless it was for a valid medical reason.

MARAPRINCE

I thought port charges were refunded for all no-show guests.

Port charges are never refunded.

Add on taxes and fees are refunded (which do not include port charges). Port charges are embedded in the cruisefare).. they used to refund these, but most people dont know they are paying them twice or that they are not added on ... no matter how often its posted here, so many still dont know.

Im booked solo in a aft balcony under ES. I found its cheaper for 1 person in cabin then paying for 2. My cabin base rate was around 1150.00 and total was 1507.00 for 1 passenger. 2 people would put it around 2K. ES was 150.00 off price. That was for 7 day cruise. That wasnt a 200% rate.

Possibly you may end up paying a few hundred more minus the other person port charges if you do it alone. But the cost wont be double.

You always pay 200% for solo .. could be a rate you didnt know of or some how you are confused on what rate you are booked at.

Im told they make no exceptions any more for the 200%. Used to be 150%, for 1As.. but 200% otherwise.

you just dont pay the 2nd add on taxes and fees.

I cruise solo all the time these days and getting to like it.

I paid the $600 deposit for both of us. She stiffed me on paying her half. So it's all me.

Perfect example of why I, personally, would never do this. It's times like these when you find out who your true friends really are:).

I am sorry this person did this to you. At least, now you know what kind of friend they made....not much of one.:(

Archived