Roommate Backing Out - What Now?

Devmegsmum

Yeah I think Fire is right

I cruise with friends...in a small group but trust me we have changes back/forth up/down and around

It is not really fair

I like Carnival BUT IF I was going truly solo, planning solo, all by my lonesome I would sail NCL Epic

they have studio rooms set up for one...pretty reasonable

an attached studio lounge to meet other solos/singles

a dedicated singles hostess

a whiteboard to post plans/invites "Lets meet at Italian Restaurant"

or whatever

even those singles/solos who are not staying in the :studios: are invited every night to a singles mixer in the lounge and can participate in the other stuff

other than it does totally suck

I remember years ago when ships had guaranteed "roommate matching"...they would put you in with other singles, even 4 to a room

gender and smoking or non was the only requirement

I think HAL may still do some roommate pairing on limited longer cruises

Flakes are flakes . . . what can I say? Choose better cruising partners as everyone has suggested.

Since Carnival raised the SOLO rate to 200% of DO I've had to find a good cruise partner. Found one in a contractor in the same trade as I. We both love Gin Rummy, so destination isn't a factor. I just ask around what date he wants to cruise. He gives me his input. I search for a bargain which came up on the SPLENDOR on the last two (no air, just down the freeway to the port) and do all the booking work. Its usually last minute or several weeks out so full payment is made at that time (I book it and he hands me ca$h for his share). We have an understanding that if for ANY reason the other can't go that's just life - deal with it.

Thank you all for your input and support. This forum has been an invaluable resource for me. I will definitely will never put myself in this position again. I've learned a valuable lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your input and support. This forum has been an invaluable resource for me. I will definitely will never put myself in this position again. I've learned a valuable lesson.

For future reference, if you plan on cruising with a buddy in the future that may waffle on you, just book a cabin in your name only and pay the double deposit. When you get a firm yes (and the cash from them to cover that yes), then you can add them to the cabin and get your 2nd half of the deposit back (or have it applied to your booking). You can usually add (as long as the ship isn't at max capacity) but you can't change a name with ES.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just wanted to let you know how this turned out. The flakey person ended up backing out and I found a new person to share my room. I called Carnival to change the name and I lost the entire $300 deposit I had paid on the flakes behalf. They said $50 would go towards the name change charge and the other $250 would go towards a future cruise - to be used within 2 years. I doubt given my family situation that I'll be able to use it. I have learned a valuable lesson and will never put myself in this type of position again.

Oh yeah, I'll never get my money back from flakey - she just got fired from her job!!

Hi all, just wanted to let you know how this turned out. The flakey person ended up backing out and I found a new person to share my room. I called Carnival to change the name and I lost the entire $300 deposit I had paid on the flakes behalf. They said $50 would go towards the name change charge and the other $250 would go towards a future cruise - to be used within 2 years. I doubt given my family situation that I'll be able to use it. I have learned a valuable lesson and will never put myself in this type of position again.

Oh yeah, I'll never get my money back from flakey - she just got fired from her job!!

Why doesn't the new person just pay their fair share of the cruise price, then you aren't losing any money? :confused:

Hello,

I do hope this works for you, good luck.

Perhaps you could find another to go with you and defer the cost.

I believe DH and i are going to 'be in the same boat' in september. I believe we will have a no show. I sure wish i knew before final payment as it has been paid.

Good luck to you.

~waves~take me. : )

Retired lady here from the OBX.

I thought port charges were refunded for all no-show guests.

Nope.. surprise. port charges are embedded in your cruisefare and solos pay 200% of cruisefare.. so they pay/owe 2 port charges.

The smaller add on taxes and fees will be automatically refunded if the roomie is a no show.

For future reference, if you plan on cruising with a buddy in the future that may waffle on you, just book a cabin in your name only and pay the double deposit. When you get a firm yes (and the cash from them to cover that yes), then you can add them to the cabin and get your 2nd half of the deposit back (or have it applied to your booking). You can usually add (as long as the ship isn't at max capacity) but you can't change a name with ES.

Or dont book ES if you book with someone who may waffle, then for $50 you can change the name of the passenger up until sailing. Other rates are not subject to the no name change rule.

Why doesn't the new person just pay their fair share of the cruise price, then you aren't losing any money? :confused:

What makes you think the poster is paying? She's getting a deposit back as OBC on a future cruise (which admitidly she may not be able to use). The new roomie will be paying all their own.

The new person shouldn't have to pay anymore than half of what the original fare was. It's not her fault flakey backed out and screwed me over. To her credit she offered to split the penalty but I said no thanks. She's going buy me a "few" drinks on the cruise. It's all good - I will never book ES again - its not worth the stress.

The new person shouldn't have to pay anymore than half of what the original fare was. It's not her fault flakey backed out and screwed me over. To her credit she offered to split the penalty but I said no thanks. She's going buy me a "few" drinks on the cruise. It's all good - I will never book ES again - its not worth the stress.

My sister backed out on me (she got married and new hubbie didnt want her to leave him at home). .. so I feel your pain. I now am in the once bitten, twice shy about ES myself.

Very true :)

Annoying flackery people.

My first cruise a few years ago but I had very little to do with. A friend of a friend was getting married. 2 of us were going for the heck of it but not for the wedding.

Since I got all my money back I figure we did not have early saver. I'm glad the wedding never happen...the guy was a cheating jerk.

I just know now when I book everyone can go (minus something unseen near cruise time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Port charges are never refunded.

Add on taxes and fees are refunded (which do not include port charges). Port charges are embedded in the cruisefare).. they used to refund these, but most people dont know they are paying them twice or that they are not added on ... no matter how often its posted here, so many still dont know.

Royal Caribbean does refund port charges along with the taxes. Too bad Carnival doesn't

I just know now when I book everyone can go (minus something unseen near cruise time)

people always think this .. if this were so true, there would be no need for insurance, and no one would ever post on here, their husband couldnt get off work, or someone got sick, or whatever. Life does happen .. believe it.

No one ever books ES thinking they will have to cancel or change dates. If they thought this they wouldnt book ES.

people always think this .. if this were so true, there would be no need for insurance, and no one would ever post on here, their husband couldnt get off work, or someone got sick, or whatever. Life does happen .. believe it.

No one ever books ES thinking they will have to cancel or change dates. If they thought this they wouldnt book ES.

I meant as in they won't flake out. I said stuff might happen. We always get insurance.

I am booked SOLO on our upcoming girls cruise, because my roommate had another trip planned at the same time. But, luckily, I wasn't booking her until I got her deposit...hence, I'm SOLO. Anyway, I am only paying port charges/fees for ONE...not two. The 200% is the cruise fare only. Our rate is 189pp...so my fare is 378. My port charges/taxes is 73 (for only 1 person). The other women cruising 2 per cabin are paying 146 (73 x2).

DJ

I am booked SOLO on our upcoming girls cruise, because my roommate had another trip planned at the same time. But, luckily, I wasn't booking her until I got her deposit...hence, I'm SOLO. Anyway, I am only paying port charges/fees for ONE...not two. The 200% is the cruise fare only. Our rate is 189pp...so my fare is 378. My port charges/taxes is 73 (for only 1 person). The other women cruising 2 per cabin are paying 146 (73 x2).

DJ

As another poster said. You are paying double for port charges. You won't believe how much they are.

They are in the cruise fare.

You are paying for 1 person's taxes

DJ

As another poster said, port charges and fees are in the cruise price. Govt fees and taxes are a whole 'nother thing..

Personally, since you paid for the deposit. I would make her pay you the $50 pen for cancelling b4 final payment. The remaining deposit is going to be held as a Future Cruise Credit under your name since you paid the deposit and get your flaky friend off the booking.:D

One of the comments regarding cruise fees is correct. If you cancel now at least her cruise fees will not be including in your payments(less money to worry about upfront). If you wait until you board the ship and say, "oh yeah XXX is not coming". The cruise fees will be refunded but not until 3-10 business days after the cruise is over. The cruise fees may be more than the $50, i can almost guarantee it.

OP, since you mentioned $600 for the deposit you must be going on an 8 day cruise, the Freedom prehaps?;) Those cruise fees are more than $50pp. Bottom line, cancel her now and pay the single occupancy rate which unfortunately equates to double the cruise fare:(.

Good Luck!

The person that was to share my room with me is backing out. We booked ES under both of our names and I have paid the deposit. Final isnt due til August. I still want to go. What happens now? Can I remove her name from the reservation? Can I have the room by myself? Are there extra charges ( or less ). Help:confused:

Did you find a travel buddy? I am a happily married female but am feeling land-locked.

Archived