Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

I'm afraid I don't enjoy dressing up either...Can't wear heels anymore and look ever so much better in pants :o However, I prefer the MDR to the buffet and understand how some folks feel, so I put on a long black dress and some bling! For the other nights, I wear office or church clothes to dinner.

Edited by cooncat_mom
I went to school - why can't I spell?!

I'm afraid I don't enjoy dressing up either...Can't wear heels anymore and look ever so much better in pants :o However, I prefer the MDR to the buffet and understand how some folks feel, so I put on a long black dress and some bling! For the other nights, I wear office or church clothes to dinner.

Wear your black slacks & a sparkly top- works for me! No need for a dress,

OK, I just have to give my 2 cents here. While more women than men may prefer to dress up, you shouldn't assume that NO men like to. My husband actually DOES like to put his tux on and go to dinner.

Again, a woman saying that her husband likes to dress up for formal night is very different from a man actually saying that he likes it.

He does not have to dress for work since we're in FL and almost no one does. BTW, I take exception to the idea that women's elegant clothes are somehow more comfortable and that's why we enjoy dressing for dinner. PUH-LEASE. Strap the twins in with an underwire, shimmy into some pantyhose, and add high heels (not to mention the jewelry and accessories) and I defy you to tell me that we are somehow more comfortable than wearing a tie in the dining room :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying that women's formal clothes are inherently more comfortable than men's formal clothes. What I was saying is that women have more choices when it comes to formal clothes, and have the freedom to dress based on the weather, while men do not. Secondly, none of the items that you mentioned for women are ever REQUIRED by a dress code, yet men are very frequently required to wear a tie and a jacket and a long sleeved shirt, no matter how hot it is. And many activities, workplaces, and venues that have very strict dress codes for men have basically no dress code at all for women. On the other hand, there is a water park near where I live that actually enforces their dress code for women (their "dress code" for both genders is that you must be wearing a swimsuit; seems reasonable enough to me), yet women constantly whine about the fact that they have to follow a dress code to use that water park.

Thirdly, to be honest, I find that women are very hypocritical when it comes to dress. My wife (and presumably many other women) refuses to wear anything "revealing" unless it is hot outside. Yet she (and presumably many other women) expects me to wear a jacket and a tie no matter how hot it is outside.

Fourthly, as I said, research shows that men who wear a tie to work every day are more likely to die young from heart attacks than men who have jobs with more casual dress codes; I have never heard of any research showing that "uncomfortable" women's attire shortens their life at all. While I do think that part of it could be correlation without causation (jobs with stricter dress codes are probably also more stressful for other reasons), I am certain that wearing clothes that are inappropriate for the weather (which men are forced to do) must have some health risks.

I don't have a problem so much with wearing formal attire to dinner. The dining rooms are air conditioned, and eating doesn't involve a lot of movement that would make you overly hot. My problem is being expected to wear it the entire night, including at events that are outdoors and/or involve a lot of movement, such as dancing. It's especially frustrating listening to my wife mention how nice the air feels on her skin, while I feel like I'm going to suffocate.

I realize that wearing a suit is not officially required for men on Carnival. But my wife makes it clear that seeing me in a suit is one of the main things she enjoys on a cruise (I still can't understand why), so for me, it may as well be required.

I realize that wearing a suit is not officially required for men on Carnival. But my wife makes it clear that seeing me in a suit is one of the main things she enjoys on a cruise (I still can't understand why), so for me, it may as well be required.

Maybe us women can't understand why either. There's just something about seeing a husband in a suit. My DH and I have been married 23 years, and, STILL, when I see him in a suit (or tux,) I just think (and say) "You handsome devil you." Maybe it's the way the jacket fits, or who knows?

Honestly, I didn't realize how hot and uncomfortable it makes a lot of men feel (until I read your post.) My husband is always eager to rush back to the room and change after dinner, and that's fine. I stay in my dress (even though I do change into flatter shoes.)

So, to all you husbands who dress up for your wives on elegant night, thank you!:)

Honestly, I think that casual wear is alittle overdressed...Im on vacation, I dont wanna have to change out of my t-shirt and bball shorts for dinner with the fam....im ok with one elegant night, but I'd like to have "Cruise Casual" be a little more casual.

Maybe us women can't understand why either. There's just something about seeing a husband in a suit. My DH and I have been married 23 years, and, STILL, when I see him in a suit (or tux,) I just think (and say) "You handsome devil you." Maybe it's the way the jacket fits, or who knows?

Honestly, I didn't realize how hot and uncomfortable it makes a lot of men feel (until I read your post.) My husband is always eager to rush back to the room and change after dinner, and that's fine. I stay in my dress (even though I do change into flatter shoes.)

So, to all you husbands who dress up for your wives on elegant night, thank you!:)

Well, from my post, you now know why your husband is so eager to rush back to the room to change after dinner. What I almost wish that Carnival would do is, even if they wanted to make the dress code stricter for dinner (requiring a jacket and tie for men), it would be nice for them to explicitky state that the dress code is not in effect after dinner, so that us husbands can point that out to our wife, so we don't have to sweat to death while tryint to enjoy whatever nighttime activiteis we want to do that night.

I admit that I'm probably more sensitive to temperature than most others, for some reason, both hot and cold. Most people that I meet tend to either love extreme heat but hate extreme cold, or love extreme cold but hate extreme height. I, on the other hand, extremely hate either extreme, whether hot or cold.

What would also be interesting would be to see how many elegant or formal nights people would prefer. I suspect that most people enjoy or at least tollerate 1 formal night, but consider the 2nd formal night (on a 7 day cruise) to be a nuissance, especially since it's usually on a port day.

Ok, Im going to get hammered here..

I love to see how the women are speaking for their husbands.

Would love to see a true, blind poll, seperated from men and women.

I think the women would be shocked to how many of thier DH's really dont enjoy dressing up. But we do it because we love our DW's and like to keep them happy.

Facts, Just the Facts.. :D

I posted a poll in another thread. Surprisingly, so far, formal night seems more popular with men than with women. Although, not many people have responded so far, so it's probably not yet a representative sample. Also, although I explicitly said that you may only answer for yourself, and not for your spouse or anyone else, I still wonder how many of the "men" are really women posting for their husband.

Thirdly, to be honest, I find that women are very hypocritical when it comes to dress. My wife (and presumably many other women) refuses to wear anything "revealing" unless it is hot outside. Yet she (and presumably many other women) expects me to wear a jacket and a tie no matter how hot it is outside.

You may be presuming wrong on this one. My wife could care less what I wear to dinner and she enjoys dressing in revealing outfits when away. Just sayin.

Am I alone on this one?

OK, I just have to give my 2 cents here. While more women than men may prefer to dress up, you shouldn't assume that NO men like to. My husband actually DOES like to put his tux on and go to dinner. He does not have to dress for work since we're in FL and almost no one does. BTW, I take exception to the idea that women's elegant clothes are somehow more comfortable and that's why we enjoy dressing for dinner. PUH-LEASE. Strap the twins in with an underwire, shimmy into some pantyhose, and add high heels (not to mention the jewelry and accessories) and I defy you to tell me that we are somehow more comfortable than wearing a tie in the dining room :rolleyes:

The people who do like to dress up, do so for a multitude of reasons. We enjoy it because frankly, we clean up nice:D. Also, in our case, it adds a sense of occasion to dining out that putting on our good flip flops and heading over to Texas Roadhouse just doesn't.

We do exactly the same, but..... :eek: pantyhose, eek! :p waaaay to hot out to put on some hose. I havent worn pantyhose in probably 15 years LOL, but I do put on the fancy dress with heels, hubby with the suit and tie.

We do exactly the same, but..... :eek: pantyhose, eek! :p waaaay to hot out to put on some hose. I havent worn pantyhose in probably 15 years LOL, but I do put on the fancy dress with heels, hubby with the suit and tie.

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical of you that it's "too hot" for you to wear pantyhose, yet you expect your husband to wear a suit and tie no matter how hot it is?

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical of you that it's "too hot" for you to wear pantyhose, yet you expect your husband to wear a suit and tie no matter how hot it is?

He has never complained, he looks forward to it...I dont "make" him wear anything he don't want to :)