Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

We have generally dressed for elegant night in the past but we have agreed that the next cruise we will not be taking formal wear. Checked luggage is just too expensive. I don't wear jeans but my DH does, although he will wear slacks for dinner. I kind of like the new freedom that not dressing up brings.

I guess hubby and I are old fashion then. Even though we are on vacation, we still dress up on both the elegant nights and for that matter every night, just a bit more on the elegant night.

There is just something about going back to your cabin after a day in shorts and bathing suits and getting "properly" dressed for dinner that brings out the feelings of times gone by where you "always" dressed for dinner. Guess I'm just an old fashioned romantic at heart.

We also get one or two portraits taken during elegant night to hang in our living room to remind us of our cruise. Dressing up isn't for everyone, I just wish people would at least wear khakis and a polo or a simple sundress to the MDR for dinner.

We do like elegant night, but not because we like getting dressed up.

We do not care for dressing up as we have to wear suits etc for work. We do not participate in elegant night out of respect for those that do dress up. We eat a very casual dinner in the buffet which has the same food as the dining room (most of the time).

We have a nice quiet meal in the buffet while everyone else is in the dining room.

I guess hubby and I are old fashion then. Even though we are on vacation, we still dress up on both the elegant nights and for that matter every night, just a bit more on the elegant night.

There is just something about going back to your cabin after a day in shorts and bathing suits and getting "properly" dressed for dinner that brings out the feelings of times gone by where you "always" dressed for dinner. Guess I'm just an old fashioned romantic at heart.

We also get one or two portraits taken during elegant night to hang in our living room to remind us of our cruise. Dressing up isn't for everyone, I just wish people would at least wear khakis and a polo or a simple sundress to the MDR for dinner.

We do :D and enjoy getting dressed up for elegant night :D

Even though we dress for work, dinner is different. Work is suits and professional attire, dinner is dresses and tuxedos on elegant night - so yes, both dress for elegant night and enjoy it. We do also dress for dinner the other nights as well. Husband always wears dockers and a nice shirt and I wear a dress. It's nice to have the experience and dressing makes it more of a special occasion for us while we are onboard the ship.

I hate it and my DH hates it too....lol But we do it for the lobster and the shrimp. I am in business attire clothes everyday of the work week and Sundays for church. So when I'm on vacation, I don't want to impress anyone, I just want to be me. But rest assure.....as soon as we leave the dinning room, we are OUT of those clothes...lol

We do :D and enjoy getting dressed up for elegant night :D

Glad you do, and I know most people at least throw on a pair of nice jeans, I'm talking about what seems to be the new crop of cruisers that think that shorts (not khakis) and tank tops are appropriate for the MDR JUST because the are on vacation.

Now I know with all the extra charges the airlines are charging for baggage, people don't bring as many "dressy" clothes on vacation, but really a pair of slacks and a sundress/nice blouse do not take up all that much room.

Oh well, to each their own. I'll continue dressing up and enjoy seeing what everyone else deems "appropriate" attire for the MDR. :rolleyes:

My wife and I dress nice every night for dinner but I think the "Elegant Nights" are a joke. It seems that people can pretty much wear whatever they want any night so "Elegant Nights" to me are just a manufactured event to sell photos. I might be more into it if there were a gala ball or some other special event that night but there usually isn't. It's like prom night without a prom to me. :)

We love dressing up! DH wears a dark suit and tie for the 2 elegant nights and khakis and a polo shirt for the other nights. I wear a gown for the 2 elegant nights and a skirt/dress and heels the other nights. I work from home, so getting dressed up is a treat that I look forward to. DH used to take 2 different suits for a 7- or 8-day cruise, but now, with the baggage fees, he takes one suit and 2 shirts and ties to change it up.

IMG_0004.jpg.713a0afa5c27d2f322bb7f49aa700721.jpg

Yes, we still dress for dinner and always will! I understand the restrictions with luggage limitations, etc. And yes, we also have to dress for work every M-F - so what! Dinner is still a time that should be respected and accepted for what it is - you should be dressed appropriately for yourself and those around you! If you do not want to be appropriate because "it's your vacation" - FINE - go to the Lido buffet. PERIOD.

The MDR has linen tablecloths and you should too, at least!

We will be going on our first cruise in June. I plan on taking a suit to dress up for Elegant Night, and my wife will take a very nice floor length dress. At home, I only wear suits to weddings and funerals, and at work wear a bullet resistant vest, uniform, and batman utility belt 5 days a week(police officer)! I look forward to dressing up the two Elegant Nights, and seeing a lot of others that will dress up also. If you don't want to, more power to you, but I will enjoy dressing up more than I normally do. :)

I really enjoy getting "gussied up" for dinner. I don't have many opportunities outside of cruising. DH on the other hand, not so much. *sigh*

I will tell you though, one of the things that I find interesting on elegant night is sitting on the promenade and watching all the people go by in various interpretations of "gussied up". Now that's entertainment :)

I wonder if CC has ever done a poll on this topic...

I agree Asalligo! We love to get dressed up and my husband usually puts on a suit just to fly on a plane. That is the way he was brought up and I like it. We get "dressed up" if you want to call it that every night for dinner on the cruise. To us it is just getting appropriately dressed to dine.

So glad to hear most like the "elegant nights" as well !

Hey can't wear that suit to anything but a funeral so might as well please grandma!

But no I would not miss playing dress up but they got to sell the lame photos to some fool!

DW and I have only been on one cruise and we dressed for elegant both nights and dressed nicely other nights. It was just the two of us on this cruise without the kids. So it was like date night each night for us and we enjoyed it. Now the next cruise, we will have the kids with us, so I imagine we will probably take a much more casual approach to dining. But will probably still enjoy elegant night in the MDR.

We love to dress for dinner on our cruises....it's a very special time for us to be together...We actually dress "to the nines" every night...The first and last evening I will wear a coctail dress and DH wears a suit and tie.

Elegant night is a tux and a long evening gown, and the for me the best is the two nights that he wears his dress blues, (so very handsome)! I wear an evening gown those nights.

Most would probably think we are overdressed every night, but we are not the least bit uncomfortable or feel out of place. The last cruise, people would come up to us each night and ask if we were celebrating something special....I always told them yes...We were celebrating each other and just being together!:) I have to admit I would love to see the "olf Formal night" every night on a sailing.;)

2047740579_InspirationJan20114-Copy.jpg.23242ed2bfb41da8c34a3e5a3d1d0f3b.jpg

1235074449_InspirationJan201119-Copy.jpg.f70bba4dc080eb3205c1a505e289397c.jpg

1822293826_InspirationJan20116-Copy-Copy(2).jpg.5fa1d089d581bbb5665f836c011f5d13.jpg

286841648_CARNIVALphotos24OCTOBERCRUISE012-Copy.jpg.b6e5e6b263767e4e55a9a24601eb4536.jpg

480998289_VALENTINECRUISE2010sensation23.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg-Copy.jpg.89cf876b2f99a89709214eaf22322d0c.jpg

1335111115_SHUTTERPLEATDRESS.jpg.0c1f7b12bb8745bb1404e1ac288a2aa5.jpg

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

Most cruises, yes, we enjoy it. Leaving on a 4.day cruise Thursday and am not bringing a suit this time. Longer cruises, we'll continue to "dress up".

We can look ordinary for almost every day / night of the year, so cruises give us the opportunity to be different, so let's keep em. I love seeing the ladies and especially my lovely wife in their skimpy dresses!:):):):):)