Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

I enjoy elegant nights. We are very causal people...I don't even own a gown and he doesn't own a tux...but we wear our best Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes and fit in fine. More than anything I love to admire everyone else in their nice clothes. I love seeing fine looking gentlemen that I have previously only seen sucking down beer with their pot belly hanging over their swim trunks by the pool. And I admire the beautiful women who dress up for the occasion too. And the youth that I am constantly seeing with their shorts hanging down below their underwear really can dress up nicely when they want to.

Yup, I really look forward to elegant nights.

Nope. Not at all. I'd prefer not to have to pack enough dress up clothes for 4 people thanks!

We go to the buffet for elegant nights. Our last cruise, on our buffet nights, we even finished up early enough to catch the early show!! Then we felt like we had our whole evening open to us and got to do more because we didn't spend 1 1/2 - 2 hours at dinner!

I see everyone posting how much they like it. We're just more casual I guess.

Shawn

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the elegant night food, but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE having to get dressed up in monkey suits.

To me, the perfect "elegant" night would be a "cruise casual" dress code with the "elegant night" menu and servers walking around with dessert carts containing the "Chocolate Extravaganza" type desserts.

I enjoy elegant nights. We are very causal people...I don't even own a gown and he doesn't own a tux...but we wear our best Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes and fit in fine. More than anything I love to admire everyone else in their nice clothes. I love seeing fine looking gentlemen that I have previously only seen sucking down beer with their pot belly hanging over their swim trunks by the pool. And I admire the beautiful women who dress up for the occasion too. And the youth that I am constantly seeing with their shorts hanging down below their underwear really can dress up nicely when they want to.

I love your response. I wish everyone felt this way.

We may be in the "minority", but we LOVE dressing "elegant" for evening dinners, especially on formal nights.:) In fact, we do the "9's" even on the other nights. We are always being complimented by the ones that sit with us at dinner, as well as ones that pass us on the ship.

We don't get to do this much at home, so that is why we love doing it on a cruise.:)

My wife loves dressing up - so I don't have a say in the matter. She enjoys the shopping trips with her BFF almost as much. Then comes the pictures. Sometimes I feel like I am in a wedding again.

Awesome post Brenda! We too proudly wear our Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes on elegant night. Well doggies!

Like it. I have to wear a hideous pharmacy smock 5 days a week so it's a rarity that I get to dress up. I wear dresses of varying fanciness each night.

Fun!

The wife is in the same boat. Maybe it's just an excuse to but more clothes for the cruise though? Hey! I've been had!

My husband's dress clothes and shoes weigh a ton and they take up lots of space not to mention my clothes and shoes. And we must fly to any port. So we make decisions based on open seating vs assigned time dining. If we do open seating--no formal clothes; assigned time--he has a suit and dress shoes and dressy clothes for me.

Europe cruise -- no formal anything.

That's the way we float.

I don't like to dress up, neither does my husband. We do want the lobster we've paid for, so we're going with bare minumum. A nice dress for me, polo and khakis for the husband and kid. Pretty much the same thing we wear when we go to plays or theater/musicals.

This is one of the things I am most looking forward to. Having the time to get primped and pampered, our daughter getting to wear 'fancy' clothes (which she loves), and getting to admire my husband and her for an evening of leisurely, happy dining. All the while enjoying the special feel that comes from wearing a brand new dress and from husband and daughter knowing that I've taken the time to get prettied up for them. What's not to love!

Yes, I did it (and enjoyed it) on my last cruise. My girls were 13 and 15 at the time and they protested--at first. When I told them it was elegant night, they were like "are you sure, are you sure?" and once we got there and saw that most people were dressed up, they liked it. It was a 7-day and they couldn't wait for the second night!

We also dressed nicely for each night in the MDR (dressy shorts/capris) and only ate at the buffet for dinner one night; that was because I couldn't get them to wake up in time! We ate dinner at the buffet at 9:15.;)

I'm really torn. On one hand, I would love to go all out. I learned to sew a few years ago, so it would give me an excuse to do a couture technique cocktail dress, and that would be a fun challenge.

On the other hand, I really don't want to go through all of that work to then have to pack it, and there's no way in hell I'm trusting it to a strange iron. Also, packing my dress also means packing heels for me and a suit or sport coat, dress shirt and shoes for Tom- that's probably 10 pounds of extra stuff for five hours of our trip

If we were driving to port I would be so in- I would just toss either my iron or steamer in the car and not worry about it for the two hours it was in the bag. But with a flight- that 10 pounds means two checked bags instead of sharing one, and that, in turn, means less room for rum on the way home.

Although I consider myself dressed adequately in slacks and shirt my wife prefers I wear a suit and tie. And when my wife "prefers" something I know better than to second guess her. :D

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

it used to not be an option.

do without? not sure. when there's a function in town, and i'm on vacation, sure, i could skip it. but why.

same with weddings. but i wouldn't answer no just because i have to dress elegant.

but more importantly, i'm beginning to wonder if some have just outgrown their good clothes. i have no problem putting on pants, a shirt, and a jacket. in fact, i wear a jacket all winter long when it's cold and never think twice that it's an inconvenience.

but, looking nice, and looking at other look nice, is always a plus.

When we first started cruising back in the 80's we always dressed up.. But as the years have gone by neither one of us really likes it anymore. So on "formal" nights we wear nice clothes; not jeans or anything; but not formal. Or we eat at the buffet. To us dressing up is not important..and it really saves on the packing we have to do!

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

Without reading all the posts I will say that you do not have to dress up for cruise elegant nights to enjoy the MDR. If you were long pants and a golf/polo type shirt you meet the suggested dress and will not be the only one that way. We gave up taking suits a long time ago.