Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

We used to dress up when it was still "Formal Night," wife in a gown and me in my tux. I stopped dressing up when Carnival did away with real cigar lounges with live jazz bands. That amenity was standard on cruise ships not so long ago. If they can stop a tradition, then I can reciprocate and stop dressing up. Plus, it's less luggage no, considering airline baggage fees.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the elegant night food, but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE having to get dressed up in monkey suits.

To me, the perfect "elegant" night would be a "cruise casual" dress code with the "elegant night" menu and servers walking around with dessert carts containing the "Chocolate Extravaganza" type desserts.

EXACTLY! ME TOO!

We usually dress up in slacks and nice shirt, just enough so we don't feel out of place. It was nice when we were "stranded" on the Freedom during the hurricane because we didn't have to dress for elegant night on the second week! :)

Not even a little bit. I will never, ever "get" why people want to pretend it's a "luxury cruise", or how eating in the MDR.."makes the cruise"...oh well....guess we all have our preferences.

I love eating in the MDR and it is a big part of our overall experience. I like the way it is now where people can dress up if they want to and others who don't want to pack their entire closet can get by wearing "nice" but not overly fancy clothes. Times have changed and people don't dress up as much as they used to anywhere else i.e. Church, going out to eat, etc. I really hate when people bring class into it. It's just dinner. Put on some clothes and grab a fork.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think they need to eliminate elegant nights. The dress code is never enforced so what's the point. You get a table where every one is in suits and dresses next to a table of people in shorts. I would love to see it mandatory for the mdr....but that will never happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

as the topic asks, "Are u really into elegant night," no, not into it but also not against it.

if some people like to get dressed up for pics and show, then go for it.

maybe we just don't "get it." is it for the pics? for the experience? that people like to get dressed up on vacation?

whatever floats your boat and makes you happy, with or without clothes.

we're just thankful to be on vacation and enjoying someone else doing all the cleaning, cooking and driving. that's good enough for us.

between two professional careers and raising kids, it's just nice to have down time and that our kids still want to spend time with us going on vacations.