New to Carnival...any hints?

We are taking our first Carnival cruise in July and I am wondering if anyone out there has any 'Carnival specific" hints? Any must sees or do's for this cruise line that might differ from the others I have sailed with? We have cruised with NCL a few times, Celebrity and RCCL mostly. Any advice would be appreciated;)

Try to attend the steakhouse cooking demo on the first sea day. Lots of fun and YUMMY samples for all. It is free, just get there 15-20 minutes early for a good seat.

There is 24 hour pizza & self serve ice cream that a lot of folks enjoy.

If you are wine drinkers, Carnival allows you to carry on board at embarkation one bottle of wine per adult. You MAY be charged a corkage fee if you drink it in the MDR - we never have been charged; The waiter always says he will wait until the end of the crusie to charge corkage fees, but he never does. Maybe it's because we are considerate all week and also give him an extra tip at the end :)

1. Warm chocolate melting cake (really rich; get an extra ice cream)

2. Plan for a fun, relaxed, somewhat irreverent time

3. Dancers wear thongs (some love it, some hate it; just good to know)

4. Take photos of your towel animals :)

5. Decor will likely be more "over the top" than you have seen before. Try to figure out the "theme". They can be wacky.

6. The dessert counter which costs extra has awesome desserts of very high quality. (totally worth it)

7. Karaoke is with a live band, if you like that sort of thing.

8. Late night comedy can fill up fast.

Hope some of these help! We love Carnival and think it is a great value and lots of fun.

5. Decor will likely be more "over the top" than you have seen before. Try to figure out the "theme". They can be wacky.

I see by your sig you are sailing on the Freedom. As far as decor on this ship I must say we had a lot of fun marveling at the small details of each lounge/area. If you find the decor wacky - which you might - in order to truly appreciate it be sure to check out the small details and look and the ceilings! Seeing how much thought goes into the theme of each lounge makes it more exciting.

I agree with Serenity Deck. Very lovely and relaxing. And the Punchliners Comedy at night is very fun!

As far as other venues/things to do it really depends on your liking. There is a lot to do on Carnival. I like to bring along a highlighter pen. I highlight everything I find interesting in the FunTimes and then carry it around with me. I usually wind up skipping a lot but at least I made informed choices!

Go on the slide!!! I did not do this until about my 6th cruise when my 19 y.o. DD really wanted me to join her and it was a blast!

Another thing I have really enjoyed is TeaTime in the afternoon.

As I said, there are many choices and it is fun to try something that you would not normally do.

We are taking our first Carnival cruise in July and I am wondering if anyone out there has any 'Carnival specific" hints? Any must sees or do's for this cruise line that might differ from the others I have sailed with? We have cruised with NCL a few times, Celebrity and RCCL mostly. Any advice would be appreciated;)

Try you're best not to compare it to other cruises., Enjoy it for what it is.

We went back and forth between RCCL and CCL. Very little difference. CCL cabins are bigger! Little more fun on CCL. Food similar. The rest was same thing, different ship. The cabins and cheaper price make CCL win more often! ENJOY!!

This really doesn't have to do with just Carnival, but any cruise you might take.

If you want to take tours through the ship that is fine. I have found that CC people can help a lot letting you know of "contacts" in a certain area for touring that can save you money.

Also, if you don't want to do a tour through the ship or finding info through CC, if they have Taxi's, that is a way to go to if you have a "native" to take you around. If you want this, talk about price first before you get in, then you can pay after the Taxi takes you around. We have found some awesome places because the "natives" know where to take people that the tours don't always go.

Don't let all the negativity on these boards deter you from having a great time. Go in with a good attitude that you are determined to enjoy yourself, and you'll be fine.

Eat lots of free soft serve ice cream! I will be leaving at the soft serve machines starting Saturday through next Sunday!

I have been on many CCL cruises and must say, I have never ever saw an extra charge for a dessert counter. That person must be talking about the coffee shop, similar to Starbucks.

As been mentioned just go with an open mind and have a blast. Having cruised before you already know about what to expect.

I have been on many CCL cruises and must say, I have never ever saw an extra charge for a dessert counter. That person must be talking about the coffee shop, similar to Starbucks.

As been mentioned just go with an open mind and have a blast. Having cruised before you already know about what to expect.

You are right; I was talking about the counter which also serves the premium coffee. My point is just that those desserts happen to be excellent and totally worth the extra charge. :)

Try to attend the steakhouse cooking demo on the first sea day. Lots of fun and YUMMY samples for all. It is free, just get there 15-20 minutes early for a good seat.

There is 24 hour pizza & self serve ice cream that a lot of folks enjoy.

Where/what name in the funtimes can you find this listed? I would love to try to go to this?

Thanks!

Tea time on sea days are great.

Pay close attention to the Fun Times the last day and note the Fun Farewell party (free drinks!) It is usually hidden as a line item at the bottom of the tear-off part.

Room service is free 24 hours a day, but gratuity is appreciated.

Sign for the Behind The Fun tour if you want to know the ins and outs of the ship, visit the bridge, engine room, etc. it is $95pp and fills up fast.

Wow, thanks to all of you for the great tips so far!

Cruise nanny, is the steakhouse a nice option for a "pay for" restaurant? You know I have found some of the alternate dining options are not always that much better than the dining room. Also, thanks for the tip on where to find the room service menu!

Ladyjag...what exactly is teatime and where do they have it? Sounds interesting!

LizaMM- I love comedy shows so I am super excited that they have this. Is it offered every night? I will enjoy looking at the intricate decor..kinda like finding the hidden Mickeys at Disney and admiring how much attention to detail they put into the themes there:)

Wranglerguy...where do they serve the famous Ruben? Sounds gooood!

Simplelife..nice to know about being able to bring wine on board. Its so relaxing to have a glass of RELAX reisling on the balcony. Gotta love the cruising life!

Cruisecast..My goal on every cruise is to find the best dessert places so THANK YOU for the head start!

And to everyone...keep the tips coming! I will keep an open mind and we have been able to find great things about EVERY cruise we have been on. Hey a bad day at sea is still better than a hectic day at work, right?:D

If you are wine drinkers, Carnival allows you to carry on board at embarkation one bottle of wine per adult. You MAY be charged a corkage fee if you drink it in the MDR - we never have been charged; The waiter always says he will wait until the end of the crusie to charge corkage fees, but he never does. Maybe it's because we are considerate all week and also give him an extra tip at the end :)

I'm new to carnival as well. Can you pick up a bottle of wine at any of the ports during your cruise or just embarking?

Archived