Alaska Packing List

CruisinChic

Bring clothes that you can layer..

We've taken several Alaska cruises.

Here is a short list:

1) Binoculars! Make sure you pack a relatively good pair. The ones you get on the ship are pretty cheap

2) Umbrella!! I saw some pretty good storms.

3) Water proof rain gear, a light jacket will do with a rain hood.

4) Swimsuit for the jacuzzi/pool

5) Semi-Formal clothes for Formal nights. Alaska is not as formal as say Europe.

6) Mosquito Repellent if touring mid summer and inland. There are relatively few Mosquitoes on the coast, nor in May and September.

7) Comfortable hiking/walking shoes for excursions

8) A Good Camera!!

9) A Good Attitude!!

You will want to layer your clothes. if the sun is shining it can be very pleasant, but if it is raining or you are viewing the glaciers, it will be cold!!! Rain gear is a must! Love, love, loved Alaska.

In June you may have some very cool weather (or not ), so layering is good. We went the last two weeks in May and we wore jeans almost every day with long sleeve shirts/Tshirts/blouses, followed up with a warm fleece and a rain proof wind breaker. On warmer days we could take off the fleece and just use the wind breaker. I highly recommend some light weight warm gloves that you can stick in your pocket for days like Glacier Bay. My husband was glad to bring a stocking knit cap and I wore a fleece head band that covered my ears. At night, DH wore mock turtlenecks and dockers (casual but nice) for dinner. I found people were more casual on the Alaska trip ....including formal nights...less sparkle.

I can send you a link to our pictures if you want a visual of us and other travelers if you post your email. No problem if not interested.

I agree with an earlier post bring clothes you can layer. My DH and I went in early July and it was cold and rainy (low 50's ) when my friend went a few years later in mid July it was in the low 80's they were swimming in the pool. I brought zip-off pants (which I never zipped off to make into shorts) I brought t shirts and fleece shirts. I also purchased a 3 in 1 parka. It worked great. It is a fleece jacket and a rain parka you can wear them alone or together. Have a great time!

If you'll go to the thread "My detailed Alaska trip report" by CruisingGoddess, you'll find lots of detail about her 2010 trip to Alaska.

Go into her blog and she has a very detailed packing list.

Enjoy your trip!

• 3 weeks later...
We've taken several Alaska cruises.

Here is a short list:

1) Binoculars! Make sure you pack a relatively good pair. The ones you get on the ship are pretty cheap

2) Umbrella!! I saw some pretty good storms.

3) Water proof rain gear, a light jacket will do with a rain hood.

4) Swimsuit for the jacuzzi/pool

5) Semi-Formal clothes for Formal nights. Alaska is not as formal as say Europe.

6) Mosquito Repellent if touring mid summer and inland. There are relatively few Mosquitoes on the coast, nor in May and September.

7) Comfortable hiking/walking shoes for excursions

8) A Good Camera!!

9) A Good Attitude!!

very nice list

In June you may have some very cool weather (or not ), so layering is good. We went the last two weeks in May and we wore jeans almost every day with long sleeve shirts/Tshirts/blouses, followed up with a warm fleece and a rain proof wind breaker. On warmer days we could take off the fleece and just use the wind breaker. I highly recommend some light weight warm gloves that you can stick in your pocket for days like Glacier Bay. My husband was glad to bring a stocking knit cap and I wore a fleece head band that covered my ears. At night, DH wore mock turtlenecks and dockers (casual but nice) for dinner. I found people were more casual on the Alaska trip ....including formal nights...less sparkle.

I can send you a link to our pictures if you want a visual of us and other travelers if you post your email. No problem if not interested.

I would LOVE pics! We're going next May & I would love to have an idea. Thanks ahead of time! cellyml12@yahoo.com

I just finished my trip report with my packing recommendations. I used LOTS of ideas from CC, including Cruising Goddess's list. If you go to post 55 on this page, you will find my suggestions. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1644323&page=3

I had polarized sunglasses which were great, and I love my earmuffs, which easily stick in my pocket until needed! Just don't bring so much stuff that it is a hassle hauling it around. We definitely had stuff we didn't need!

I love this thread... one thing I would add is a sunscreen Chapstick. My lips blister and burn easily, so I bring a Chapstick with a good SPF and I also bring medicine in case I do get a cold sore outbreak.

Add to the list, Tylenol, Advil, icy hot, and pepto (you never know!). If you have allergies, bring the meds and good eye drops.

I just returned from Alaska last Tuesday. For all the excursions I wore my long silk underwear, jeans, a long sleeved T-shirt, heavy sweater, an insulated jacket and a wool cap. This was fine for most days, and I'd take off my jacket if/once the sun made an appearance.

HOWEVER, the morning we were at Tracy Arm, I really needed my down ski parka. I could be out on deck for about 20-30 minutes, then I'd have to go inside to warm up, then I could go back outside for awhile, then back inside. I did this a few times then I figured I had enough pix of the sites so I gave up and went back to my cabin.

We are looking for help with an "Alaska" specific packing list or your best advice on items needed for an Alaska cruise tour in June.

All advice and comments welcome!!

Thanks,

This is what I plan on taking for my seven day cruise to Alaska:

Wife

3 Evening Dresses

6 pair of shoes (one of which is casual)

1 dozen sets of underwear

4 sets of casual clothing

1 hair dryer (the one in the cabin is not powerful enough)

An assortment of body soap, lotion, cream, etc. (she prefers her own)

Tea bags (special blend)

1 magnifying mirror (her's is stronger)

Other items to numerous to mention.

However! She no longer brings her own pillows. Says HALs pillows are ok!

Me

1 tuxedo with accessories

1 pair of shoes

1 pair of black slacks

1 long sleeve shirt

1 sweater

1 light jacket

1 pair of socks

1 beret (head gear)

1 set of underwear

1 small box of laundry soap

I don’t bring any toilet articles except for a toothbrush. I don’t shave for the week so I don’t need a razor. This allows my wife to use most of my one piece of luggage. :mad:

Am wondering this as well- will I freeze in the MDR if I wear sandals to dinner?

And how necessary are bear bells? We plan to visit Mendenhall Glacier and do the one hour Nugget Falls hike around 6pm. Where do I even get bear bells? Do they have them at Dick's Sporting Goods?

Loving the packing advice!

A handy thing to pack is an extension cord and/or powerstrip. With tw0 phones to charge, camera batteries to charge, and ipad to charge, we know we will run out of outlets.

Highly support the power strip, no matter what cruise one is on.

We are going 7/1-7/8 roundtrip NCL from Seattle and I'm wondering if warm clothes are really that necessary??? I'm looking at Weather.com and for the next 10 days I see upper 50s-upper 60s at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The lows seem to stay in the 50s.

It's hard for me to believe gloves and thermals are in order but maybe I'm wrong? I hate to be unprepared. I will continue checking the weather as we get closer to the sail date. I don't have gloves or thermal underwear so I will need to purchase these before we leave. We do have a balcony though and we will want to use it so maybe out on the sea it will be nice to have some added warmth?

Thanks!

Archived