Can I bring a Portable Fan for white noise?

DrPepper41

On our last cruise we had some wine removed from our checked luggage. When I went to claim it on debarkation morning, I saw fans that had been removed from checked luggage along with irons, blow dryers and LOTS of liquor.

Blow dryers?!? Hell to the no! I NEED my blow dyer!

My husband & I sleep with a box fan every night. When we vacation, we almost always pack a smaller turbo fan.

I'm worried that a fan will be on the "naughty list" and will be confiscated. Is there any way to hide it and smuggle it? I've seen portable/battery operated ones that are smaller.

Any luck smuggling fans on board? If so, how did you do it?

If I can't smuggle the fan - I've downloaded some white noise apps on my smartphone that we'll try to use in place of the fan.

Ok, I'm cheating... I haven't read the responses yet. But, here at home I sleep with a fan on year round. By any chance, are you booked on a Balcony? If so, the solution is simple. Or at least it is for me, when we crusie. I will lay out on the balcony, with a blanket and my pillow, till I'm almost asleep, then go inside. The sound of the ocean is just perfect. I also have the a.c. on inside the room, so when I go inside....la la land. Oh ya, in my case, having a "perfect" husband helps.:D

geeze just get a balcony,hold the door open with a bungee and,voila..raging sea a.k.a white noise....by the way i am being a smart ass since we always sleep with a fan on (and i live in canada). the only thing is that the door open (even a bit) is so much better than closed on ships. i find the air to very much like a plane when in a closed room on a ship.

Ok, I posted before reading any other posts. I read a post here earlier on the board that a woman, of a certain age, commented on her "personal summers". Thanks to YOU, I lOVE that comment. So, that said, as I posted, that's why I fall asleep on the balcony, then move inside to the air conditioned bedroom. Ladies of a certain age will understand.:)

My friend/cabinmate who is in her late 50's got a letter from security on boarding evening (Victory, October 2011.) She had to report to their offices; it was about her fan, which she had taken in her checked luggage every cruise. It's small, not much bigger than my outstretched hand. She said they were very nice but they told her fans were not allowed. It was confiscated and she was mortified!

I sleep with a very loud air purifier every night, just for the white noise. I have sleep apnea and wake up 40x/ hour due to breathing issues, so am a very light sleeper and the slightest noise wakes me up. Traveling with my bulky air purifier is a real pain. I found an ap for my ipad called "white noise" that is fabulous! Its loud and consistent and goes all night until I turn it off.

I tried several other aps, but many you could hear where it looped so I'd end up laying there listening for the loop instead of sleeping. Or the "white noise wasn't a steady constant noise but something like babbling brook or jungle birds. Those were no good. I just need a constant steady hum. Others weren't loud enough or would only go for an hour or 2 then shut off

"White Noise" is great so now when I travel, I just take my ipad which I would be taking anyway :)

http://www.tmsoft.com/iphone-whitenoise.html

Edited by NoobCruise

I have a small white noise maker I take without issue. However, I just discovered apps for your smart phone that make different noise... waves, rain, etc

I don't go ANYWHERE without my Marsona; I even use it at home! I spent a few dollars extra to get the one that works with 220 or 110; you just need the plug adapter, which comes with it.

We also travel with a small battery operated fan, DH is a hot sleeper. Have not been on Carnival in a while - fingers crossed! Thank you to the OP, I am packing right now and it wasn't in the suitcase yet!!! :eek:

PLEASE be careful if you bring a fan.

Several years ago a house on my block went up in flames. An 11 year old boy lost his life. It was determined that a fan had overheated when a drape from the window was sucked to the back housing of the fan. The restricted airflow caused the fan to overheat and eventually caught fire.

I know a lot of things can catch fire, but a fan has a higher probability of catching fire do to the motor.

Not saying don't take a fan, just a heads up.

I sleep with a fan at home, on a cruise I do not.

Edited by Tutankhamen

From readign the posts here, It seems the operative word is "small". 10-12" fans seems to fall into the category of "personal items". Larger fams, box fans, etc seem to be no-nos

Blow dryers?!? Hell to the no! I NEED my blow dyer!

The big thing here is the cords must be in good physical condition. That is probably why those items were confiscated if they were on the allowed list.

DD and I had an inside cabin the last cruise. It was so stuffy in there...wished I had a fan with me then!

I usually take a fan, but did not on the last cruise because DH had broken the travel fan.

I called the first day and told them that the cabin was hot.

They left a note that they checked it and it was working as it should.

I would get hotter at night.

Hot enough to make sleeping difficult.

We pulled those comforters completely off the bed at night and just used a sheet.

From now on I am taking a fan.

Sorry people but i dont understand this thread? Why would people need the noise of a fan to sleep? just curiouse,i have never heard of it befor:confused:

Den

Good question. I have no idea why I need a fan (or white noise) to sleep. Always have though. Without it, I stay awake listening to every little noise around me. Weird, I know. It would be great to be able to sleep without one.

I have to take a fan for the first time ever on a cruise for my 14 yr old daughter. We usually get 2 insides for our family of four. For some reason, our room seemed cooler than the kids room both times. Half way through the cruise my older one had to switch with me and go with my husband and I went to the stuffier cabin with my younger daughter. My 14 yr old has asthma and is really sensitive with the heat. My kids keep their thermostat at home at 68 degrees at night.

It used to be that cabins were really chilly but now it seems warmer to me. The common areas are still on the cool side but the room seems like stagnant hot air. On our next cruise, we have a balcony and the kids have the inside room. There is no way I'm giving up my balcony to my daughter! She loves the fan idea and I'm going to get myself over to Walmart today and pick one up for her.

I have and use a Marpac Sleepmate machine. It's been many times to Disney World and this last year it went to Cancun Mexico. It's never been questioned by security, customs and even left in a room on. Its the best $60 I have purchased after many years of replacing fans.

We were on the glory a couple of weeks ago. We checked one fan and carried another on. no one batted an eye. The only bad thing was plugging them in. We plugged one in by the TV and the other in our one allocated plug in. Next time we will bring extension cord. My husband and 7 y/o each needed a fan..

Good question. I have no idea why I need a fan (or white noise) to sleep. Always have though. Without it, I stay awake listening to every little noise around me. Weird, I know. It would be great to be able to sleep without one.

I need one to drown out all the little noises. I'm a very light sleeper. We do have a balcony - so listening to the waves might help some.

But since so many of you have not had your fan taken away - I'm going to pack one & see how it goes. Thank you!

Excellent thread and yes I am one that needs a fan on me at all times for the most part. I have been using a fan on me for the last 20 yrs every night , one for the noise, two for the breeze and three, I get warm very quickly. It soothes me to sleep. I checked out a few of the apps but not like the real deal. I will have my doctor write up a note for me just in case. Last year on RCL I brought my fan with me and never had an issue and I hope it is the same way this July on the Pride.