Can I bring a Portable Fan for white noise?

DrPepper41

I sleep with a noise machine every night. The one I own plays several different sounds but I settle on the white noise. They sell them at many electronics stores and wal mart. Some are even alarm clocks. Mine plays all night but can also play for an hour and other increments. Had no trouble getting it onboard

Sorry people but i dont understand this thread? Why would people need the noise of a fan to sleep? just curiouse,i have never heard of it befor:confused:

Den

I'm an extremely light sleeper, waking repreatedly through out the night. According to my sleep study at Stanford, I spend most of the night in stage 1 and stage 2 sleep, which is very light and you can easily be woken. Deep sleep is stage 3 and stage 4 with the deepest being REM when you dream. I only get about 5 to 10 minutes of REM per night whereas most people get a few hours of REM each night. Because I stay in such a light sleep, the slightest sudden noise in an otherwise quiet room will wake me. At home, it may be a dog barking outside, a car driving by, the air conditioner kicking on etc. It is not sound, but the variation in sound that wakes me. If I use a fan for what is called "white noise", it is a constant steady hum that will drowned out all the other sounds, so I don't hear the variations and therefore stay in a deeper sleep. For those of us with sleep disorders, the white noise from a fan is crucial to sleep.

And that's why "There's an AP for that" lol

Edited by NoobCruise

I'm an extremely light sleeper, waking repreatedly through out the night. According to my sleep study at Stanford, I spend most of the night in stage 1 and stage 2 sleep, which is very light and you can easily be woken. Deep sleep is stage 3 and stage 4 with the deepest being REM when you dream. I only get about 5 to 10 minutes of REM per night whereas most people get a few hours of REM each night. Because I stay in such a light sleep, the slightest sudden noise in an otherwise quiet room will wake me. At home, it may be a dog barking outside, a car driving by, the air conditioner kicking on etc. It is not sound, but the variation in sound that wakes me. If I use a fan for what is called "white noise", it is a constant steady hum that will drowned out all the other sounds, so I don't hear the variations and therefore stay in a deeper sleep. For those of us with sleep disorders, the white noise from a fan is crucial to sleep.

And that's why "There's an AP for that" lol

Sounds like Sleep Apnea, which I also have. I have tried, but can't use a CPAP machine. We used a fan, but replaced it with a white noise machine last year for the reasons NoobCruise mentioned. On the last two cruises we where low in the ship and found the engine noise and ear plugs to be a great help.

Good question. I have no idea why I need a fan (or white noise) to sleep. Always have though. Without it, I stay awake listening to every little noise around me. Weird, I know. It would be great to be able to sleep without one.

I am the same way... I hear every little thing and stay awake forever without my fan!!

Sounds like Sleep Apnea, which I also have. I have tried, but can't use a CPAP machine. We used a fan, but replaced it with a white noise machine last year for the reasons NoobCruise mentioned. On the last two cruises we where low in the ship and found the engine noise and ear plugs to be a great help.

Yes, it is sleep apnea. I wake 40x per hour :( I tried the CPAP too. I also have asthma and my lungs burned constantly all day after using it. Our air quality here is some of the worst in the country so the CPAP just forced more of it into my lungs and made my asthma worse. I gave up on the CPAP and use ambien.

• 2 years later...

This thread is old so I wanted to see if people were still taking fans on without issue?

Do you take a clip fan to clip to the bed, a battery fan (do those work) or an electric....which would need an extension cord for the one outlet?

I take one, plastic about 6 in, I keep it in the box until we get in our cabin. I read a while back that it's best to put it in your carry-on luggage, that way if they question it, you can explain why you need it. No one has ever even taken a second look at it. I'm sure they are more interested in the soda/wine etc that would be packed in my carry on. No one would want to take away a 50 yr old woman's fan!!!!:eek:

I used to shop for the noisiest fan I could find back in the day, to drown out snorers in the house. It's the type of noise you get used to when trying to cool off or be distracting from other noises. I have a portable white noise machine, battery or corded that makes the noise. I also have the whitenoise app on my Ipod. This is my favorite as it sits in the docking station alarm clock. You have a choice or fan, rain, traffic, all kinds of steady noises. For those that don't need one, they can't comprehend, and I wish I could be like them to be honest. They probably have an easier time sleeping.

• 7 months later...

I have a small UL listed fan I have used on 3 cruises, however my last time on Norwegian Sky, they confiscated it. Seems it depends on the electrical engineer on duty at embarkation. They said it had to be UL Listed, which it was, but I got nowhere. Carnival has been no problem.

Edited by Rudzig

We always take a small electric fan because the cabins are too hot. In the last 6 years we've had it confiscated only once on Carnival Liberty. Been on that ship many times before and since with the same fan and no problem. We take it even though I ask for one through Special Needs because sometimes we get one and sometimes we don't.

For white noise I turn the TV on the station that plays soft music and turn the volume down low.

I also sleep with a fan for noise and breeze. I have cruised about 18 cruises and have never had an issue with my fan except one time when I brought it in my carryon luggage and the x-ray police confiscated it stating they are not allowed. I was told I had to go to guest relations to retrieve it if they allowed it. I went to guest relations and was told they weren't allowed. Well, when I reminded them how many cruises I have taken with my fan and finally got the Hotel Manager involved, I got my fan. So, long story short, pack your fan in your luggage. And, if you use an extension cord, be sure to unplug it and tuck it under the bed so the cabin steward doesn't trip on it.

• 1 year later...

I use a Dohm Sound conditioner. Best thing ever. Use it every night for white noise. This isn't the type that has various sound choices. It just makes the sound of a fan. I'm also a light sleeper and a little odd I guess because I cannot go to sleep if I can hear the TV. The fluctuations in sound levels from a TV keep my mind alert or something. But with this thing it's just a steady fan sound and much more realistic than the "fan" or "white noise" from the usual sleep machines. Helps to drown out the sound of my hubby snoring. My husband laughed when I bought it. He's now also hooked on it and steals it when he goes off on his 4 day fishing tournaments to use in the hotel LOL I want to bring it on the cruise but I don't have the box for it anymore (though it still looks new). and because it doesn't really look like a regular sound machine with dials and sound options, I didn't know if they'd take it.

We always bring a fan. Never a problem. Just remember an extension cord
This. I won't even bother with a power strip. We take a long extension cord (6-8 ft.) and a 3-way plug adapter. That way I can put the fan right by the bed. The cord + adapter gives us plenty of plugs for multiple uses. And it's long enough that my wife can use her curling iron in the bathroom, which she prefers, instead of at the vanity mirror by the bed.

I feel so wronged. I had to go to the naughty room a couple of cruises ago, where they confiscated my fan. I was told I could not have one. I had used it previously on other cruises, but this time, they said no. I was too tired to argue with them, so...

I feel so wronged. I had to go to the naughty room a couple of cruises ago, where they confiscated my fan. I was told I could not have one. I had used it previously on other cruises, but this time, they said no. I was too tired to argue with them, so...
I got mine on last year (Conquest). It was in my carry-on and the screeners never said a word. Wow, out of all the posts I've read about people taking fans, and I've read a lot, I've never seen anyone say theirs was confiscated. Aside from the white noise, the A/C in our cabin last year was less than stellar, so the fan really helped. When we'd steam up the bathroom (from the shower, get your mind out of the gutter ;)) we'd put the fan in there for circulation while we got ready. I'm going to be really bummed if they stop allowing them.