Want to try porthole cabin

We had a porthole cabin for the first time on the Fantasy in March and it was a great room because you are getting a view for the price of an interior but it also has its drawbacks and they are.................

P1010848.jpg

Our porthole broke on the first day of our cruise and Carnival tried to blame us for this. Not a great way to start our cruise :(

How in the world did that happen?

Thanks so much for all the responses. We are early risers and want to be up when pulling into port anyway, so noise won't be a problem for us. We are always up for something different so it will just be one more thing to look forward to trying. We have never experienced any motion sickness. We remember getting off the Fantasy and Ecstasy back in the 90's and felt like we were still rocking for a while. No lingering rocking with the Ecstasy last year, but we were in different waters. Taking our married kids with us and just didn't want them getting motion sickness.

We are about to book and plan on giving them a try! Any cruise is a good cruise in our opinion!

We had our first port hole room on the Inspiration and we loved it. We were just about as far forward as you can go but, didn't have any issues. I got really sea sick on my first cruise and that was an Ocean View on Rivera deck. Second cruise we booked a port hole on the upper deck. I took sea sick meds and ginger and had no issues at all. My husband even commented that it was like "being rocked to sleep every night"!

Had a porthole on the upper deck on the Paradise 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a great room and enjoyed having the natural light. Only problems were that on the Paradise they still have that box thing under the TV so couldn't walk around the bed to the windows. Had to walk across the bed. The Fantasy does not have these box things so shouldn't be a problem.

Arriving in port in the mornings was very loud and the entire room vibrated. I was already awake anyway so not a major deal. DH slept through it. As far as motion, I felt no difference that the aft room we had on the Fantasy.

I would book a porthole again if available.

Kim

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy in a port hole cabin on the Main deck. I'm not a light sleeper and was woken each morning by the bow thrusters.:mad: Since it was our first cruise, I thought (the noise) every cabin was like this. I've since learned.

I won't be booking a port hole cabin again. Just my preference.

How in the world did that happen?

Your guess is as good as ours. We woke up the first morning of the cruise to that surprise. It was definitely broke from the outside because there was glass on the ledge and in my bed

Loved our 2 porthole cabins on the Fascination. Good deal but try to get one as far back as possible.

DW and I were in U18 and the kids had R28 which is 2 decks down. Funny thing is we heard noise (thrusters? anchor?)

entering port early one morning but the kids slept right through it.

Oh to sleep like a 20 year old.;)

There may be a lot of up and down if the seas are rough.

The noise and shaking is an alarm clock you don't have to set. The girlfriend and i always move the bed so your head is under the porthole. It makes it easy to crawl up on to the ledge. Check it out. There are pics in the link in my girlfriends review in my signature.

Don't know why but the picture of your girlfriend with a meat syringe filling up a water bottle with rum cracked me up.:D

We had a port hole cabin two years ago on the Dream & loved it. In fact, we tried getting it for our 2011 and our cruise next month but all port hole cabins were booked. I never had issues with motion sickness, neither did DF. We did feel the thrusters when we arrived & departed from port but other than that, we found the room to be quite spacious, quiet and a great bang for the buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a porthole cabin. I loved it. Natural light and a view (albeit tunnel-visioned, due to the portholes being recessed in the hull) for the price of an inside. The rocking didn't bother me; it was actually really nice. I was out cold within minutes of going to bed, and I usually take some time to fall asleep. I heard noise from the thrusters or anchor chain (unclear what it was) in the morning, but when I had to get up early for excursions, it even helped, so no big deal. I can always sleep in after I get home.

Long story short, if motion sickness isn't a problem for you and you don't care about sleeping in, get the porthole. If not, I suggest something midship or aft, although I heard aft cabins have vibration from the main thrusters; correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a porthole cabin. I loved it. Natural light and a view (albeit tunnel-visioned, due to the portholes being recessed in the hull) for the price of an inside. The rocking didn't bother me; it was actually really nice. I was out cold within minutes of going to bed, and I usually take some time to fall asleep. I heard noise from the thrusters or anchor chain (unclear what it was) in the morning, but when I had to get up early for excursions, it even helped, so no big deal. I can always sleep in after I get home.

Long story short, if motion sickness isn't a problem for you and you don't care about sleeping in, get the porthole. If not, I suggest something midship or aft, although I heard aft cabins have vibration from the main thrusters; correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. We had aft upper deck on the Fantasy in February and we woke up to what sounded like a torpedo hitting the ship

We have had 2 porthole rooms one for us and one for the kids on the Fantasy upper deck. One of the rooms seemed a little smaller than the other the one closest to the front.

We liked them just fine. I am pretty picky about noise so knowing ahead of time that we would hear the anchor drop and hear the noise pulling into port helped. Our windows were huge. I would stay in a porthole room again in a minute, our price was the same as an inside.

Your guess is as good as ours. We woke up the first morning of the cruise to that surprise. It was definitely broke from the outside because there was glass on the ledge and in my bed

Whales are attracted to the sonar of the ship. Bet your window got kissed by a whale! :)

Will be booking on the Fantasy out of Charleston SC. Wanting to try a porthole cabin for something different. Since they are in the front of the ship, has anyone had problems with motion sickness? Does anyone have any info regarding the lower deck porthole versus the higher deck?

I haven't been in a port hole yet (I do have one booked). I have however been as far forward as possible twice (forward facing balcony on the NCL Star and furthest forward, but still side facing, on the Caribbean Princess). Being in the front of the ship it could pitch (up and down movement) more than the middle of the ship.

Being low will reduce the roll (side to side motion) of the ship.

I've been on twenty cruises. I've been all the way forward, all the way back and in the middle. It has been my experience that if the ship is rocking, the entire ship is rocking.

Can you put 3 people in a Porthole cabin (ie - one in an Upper bunk)?

No...you can only book two in a PT. It sucks cuz there is definitly room for an extra bed.

We loved the time we had a PT, but have had at least one of the kids with us each time since.

I doubt you can fit 3 people in that type of cabin. Porthole cabins usually have a 2-person capacity, at least on the ships I researched. With 3 people, you'd need to have 2 people share a twin bed (with the remaining person in the upper bunk like you said), which won't work unless they're "together".

I doubt you can fit 3 people in that type of cabin. Porthole cabins usually have a 2-person capacity, at least on the ships I researched. With 3 people, you'd need to have 2 people share a twin bed (with the remaining person in the upper bunk like you said), which won't work unless they're "together".

I don't care if you're "together" have you tried sharing a twin bed lately? Not many couple's idea of an enjoyable vacation!

And some ships have 3 person PT's. We have one on the Dream that the twin beds push together and our son gets the couch/bed. So you just have to watch as different ships have different configurations. We love booking PT's because they are bigger than a normal inside stateroom and you get light, also have a little window ledge for storage. You do have to take into consideration they are mostly all the way forward and can sometimes give you a great ride. LOL Last time on the Dream it looked like we were in a front loader washing machine looking out our window. We could hear the waves hitting the bow of the ship. For us its AWESOME :D, for others it may not be that fun!!!

Archived