Does a Garmin ever work in Alaska?

MarieAtSea

I went to load my Alaskan addresses, and it did not list Alaska at all! From some threads, I see that it does. We'll mainly be driving around Anchorage..the scenic highways etc. Any advise? It is easy to not get lost staying on the main roads?

thanks!

Some Garmin products sold in the lower 48 do NOT have Alaska/Hawaii maps on them. I've seen a few that I thought were good deals until I read the fine print. You'll have to sift through the menu on your Garmin to see what map version it has. With that said I have 4 different Garmin GPS's and they all work great up here.

The problem w my Garmin when I drove around AK is that the maps are lousy if you are out of cities. It often tried to take me on really bad routes (for example a "winter road" - {whatever that is} on the Dalton Highway) or it would try to have me turn on non-existent roads.

It was always OK in the cities, however.

As one person said, once you get out of the cities, there are so few roads in AK that you would have to work hard to get lost.

DON

I live in Alaska and yes it will work... although I bought one and can't figure it out. I shouldn't have bought something I wouldn't use. I bought the kind that is more for hunting and camping than for roads. I would say if you are using it for roads you won't get lost. I think the only inaccurate things would be roads that you wouldn't be accessing.

I just got back from Alaska and I had rented a car for two days. I took my Garmin C-650 with me and it worked fine. I drove from Anchorage up to the Hatcher pass (must see) and down as far as Portage, I never had any problems and my map is a year old.

I also have a Garmin forerunner 310 XT for when I am jogging. It worked fine as well.

Archived