Alaska Photo Countdown to 7/13!

Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favoriteAlaska Cruise Port/Stop?

• Ketchikan
    • Haines
    • Sitka
    • Juneau
    • Icy Straight Point
    • Juneau
    • Hubbard Glacier
    • Glacier Bay
    • Seward
    • Whittier
    • Anchorage
    • Vancouver
    • Other

I screwed up my own poll because somehow I rewrote Skagway as Juneau, which is in the poll twice, with no Skagway - sigh...

We like ISP as well because it was a break from the piles of tourist shops, but found each port interesting in it's own right. We rented a car in Skagway as well and drove out to Emerald Lake for horseback riding.

Thanks for the kind words on the photos. It's a fun way to revisit the last trip and get amped up for this one. As for camera almost all the photos I've posted were taken with a Canon 50D, and either a Canon 100-400mm IS L or a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. This trip the 50D is the back up and I've have a new 7D (8 fps for whales and bears!), plus 1080p video. On top of that is a LONG list of other photo gear, lenses etc that I won't bore you with. In short I've got more camera gear than clothes going on this trip:D.

L.J.

Thanks for posting all these outstanding photos. I also enjoy photography and just got back for Alaska on the Radiance so I appreciate these. I did get some nice photos but found out quickly I needed another camera body on numerous occasions. I would have a zoom lens on and all the sudden I wanted my 17-55 2.8. I ended up pulling out my Cannon S95 out of the pocket in some cases and then there were other cases where I didn't have it in my pocket when needed. I think I could have used just a little more zoom as well on occasion, used a 70-200 VR with 1.7 Tel which got me about 330 and that was just just not quite enough at times. Then there were occasion I was using the lens without the Tel and needed it. This is why I say having another camera body handy would have been nice.

This is why I say having another camera body handy would have been nice.

That's why I'm excited to have the ability to have both the 7D & the 50D ready to go at the same time this trip. I've got two Sunsniper straps that let me hang one camera off each hip. One will have a 150-500mm Sigma or my Canon 70-200mm, and the other a Canon 17-40mm. With a 1.4x telextender in the mix, I should be good to go (famous last words!).

L.J.

Today brings a couple of shots from Vancouver and the start of the trek north along the Inside Passage.

Downtown Vancouver & Canada Place:

IMG_8698-b.jpg

Setting sun, starboard side of Radiance of the Seas northwest of Vancouver:

IMG_8744.jpg

Inside Passage Sunset:

IMG_8754.jpg

12 days and a wake up!

L.J.

It doesn't get any better than that! Thanks for sharing. :D

I look forward to the new pictures everyday. Keep them coming!:)

Linda - here you go! Today's photos are a glimpse at some of the wonders in Kenai Fjords National Park...

Harbor Seals (the little dark specs) hauled out on ice flows near Ailik Glacier...

IMG_4292.jpg

Kayaks on the beach in Seward:

IMG_3717.jpg

10 days and a wake up to go!

L.J.

Beautiful. I, like you, am getting so excited I can hardly stand it. Thanks for the early posting today ... I won't have to stay up and wait for it tonight!

Roxanne

Thanks Roxanne - I realized that I tend to end up posting late for east coast folks (such as myself), so I'm going to try and do it a little earlier!

L.J.

I am going to be so bummed when you leave and I am still waiting. :eek:

Thank you for all your pictures!

Aww - thanks! I won't make any promises, but my goal is to try and post "live" each day, depending on finding internet access (I don't want to pay the crazy prices on the ship). However, starting Saturday, 7/8, we should be able to post each day of our land portion through 7/13 - at least that's my plan as I'll have a data hub with me so as long as I get some cell signal, I should be ok. That way the run won't completely end - it;ll just be REALLY late most days since I'll probably post at the end of the day. It may be more hit or miss once on Radiance. It'll be a new thread here on the Alaska board for those interested in follwoing our adventure!

L.J.

L.J.

A friend just directed me to this thread. OMG ... your photos are amazing! We just returned from Alaska, and I am considering tossing out my photos and sending copies of yours to my friends, instead. ;)

I think you mentioned this before, but would you mind repeating ... since I got caught up in looking at the photos and forgot to read the words ... what camera did you use? I thought you said it was a Nikon with 18X zoom. My Nikon has 18X zoom, but mine aren't nearly as close up as yours. I really appreciate it! ~ Lorna

Variety is the spice of life. Here's a varied selection for today.

Horseback riding, Emerald Lake, the Yukon:

IMG_2119.jpg

Atop the mighty Carolina (had to be to carry me:D!)

IMG_2049.jpg

Entering Denali National Park:

IMG_5441-c.jpg

Hoonah Boat Dock:

img_2482.jpg

9 days & a wake up!!!

L.J.

Your pictures really are gorgeous. Out of curiosity, where do you store them on the internet so they come through so large? I've been using webshots, and their largest size isn't nearly that big.

Your pictures really are gorgeous. Out of curiosity, where do you store them on the internet so they come through so large? I've been using webshots, and their largest size isn't nearly that big.

Thanks. I export them out of Lightroom (or my older ones Photoshop Elements) at as 50% JPEGs, and upload them onto Photobucket. I use Smugmug for my regular photo website, but could figure out how to post those links to show the photos on CC, so I went with Photobucket for posting here. Once they're uploaded, I click on the 4th/bottom option when you highlight an image, just click on it. It'll say "copied". Then you just right click in your post and paste. The size you see is what I get from doing that. Most of my of my images are 15MP, 6-8MB files to start with. Smaller starting files may result in smaller posting files. Hope that helps!

L.J.

Another varied selection for today:)

Sapphire Princess in Skagway:

IMG_1940.jpg

HAL Ryndam in Ketchikan:

IMG_9928.jpg

Aialik Glacier Panoramic:

AialikGlacierPanorama1-1.jpg

Alaska Water Taxi/Landing Craft!

20090529_Green_0026-b.jpg

8 days and a wake up!

FIVE work days left!!!

L.J.

I agree with Cruise More Often. Fortunately, I will be cruising the same time as you, so I will be eager to pick up when I get back and find out how you could possibly improve on these photos. We should all chip in for a massage for you on your cruise, since you have to carry all that equipment ... And we all sit back and enjoy the results! Many, many thanks!

Roxanne

I agree with Cruise More Often. Fortunately, I will be cruising the same time as you, so I will be eager to pick up when I get back and find out how you could possibly improve on these photos. We should all chip in for a massage for you on your cruise, since you have to carry all that equipment ... And we all sit back and enjoy the results! Many, many thanks!

Roxanne

Hey Roxanne,

I'll take you up on that massage:D. Cruise More Often - like I said I'll try to keep up the streak while on the trip, and I'll definitely spend time when I get back doing a more detailed review (and maybe some videos!) with LOTS of photos!!!

L.J.

I don't want to nit pick but you sorta cheated us tonight. ;) The water taxi / landing craft picture is a duplicate of one you posted earlier. So, I say you owe us one more shot tonight. Pretty please. :D

My pleasure!:D I knew I was going to start doing that at some point since I've been bouncing around destinations!

Here's a black & white treatment of the view into Aialik Bay, Kenai Fjords NP...

IMG_4087-b2-Edit.jpg

Hope you like it!

L.J.

Archived