Darn, it's cold up here

greatam

mrell345: Thank you for your description of your train ride. I have driven that road to Seward probably like 6 times and have never seen snow on it except once way back in 2001 but it was May also.

Hope the sun starts coming out. I would like my friends who I am travelling with to see the green countryside of the ride. They have neve been up there.

That ride around Turnagain Arm is gorgeous. This will be our first time by train from Anchorage to Seward.

Well - most of the locals and park rangers are telling me it is cooler than normal. I have cruised 10 plus times here with most of them the end of May and most not in recent years and this is the coolest I remember!

Was in Seward fishing over Memorial Day and there was as much as 5' snow not far from the road in the camp ground that we stayed.....and it was 33 degrees when I got up....Came back home and went out on the Deska king fishing.....and it was 58 degrees...felt like 70...and came back with a bad sunburn.....go figure.....and I caught a King too....:) This year my garden is a couple of weeks behind what it has ever been in previous years....and I think that it has been cooler than usual....The glaciers in Juneau are really getting hit with snow...10' in 7 days, and other 8' in 4 days....and my dogs are loving it on the glacier....:)

Hi greatam, Glad to hear the weather is good over Labor Day. I have been there in mid May before and was lucky as it was mostly warm and sunny. Then in early August and only needed a jacket on board near the glaciers. We are going to be there the 1st week in Sept and everyone warns us it will be rainy and dark. I will miss the long days but will be disappointed if it pouring down rain everyday.

I have seen snow in SE Labor Day... Normally quite stormy and cool.....

Hey akfishergirl... We are on same ship! We head to Seattle on Wednesday before for a little trip prior to sailing. We are doing San Juan islands for the day. What should we expect out of Seattle as far as weather?

Thanks!

Wendi

Hey akfishergirl... We are on same ship! We head to Seattle on Wednesday before for a little trip prior to sailing. We are doing San Juan islands for the day. What should we expect out of Seattle as far as weather?

Thanks!

Wendi

Hi Wendi... normally I could tell you but we have had such a LOUSY spring that who knows? It has been very cold and wet....It could be warm or it could be Cold LOL pack for Alaska and toss in a pair of short just in case!!

The San Juans are so beautiful... are you on any Island or just sailing thru? I love the Lavendar farm on San Juan Island, and there is extremely beautiful area on Orcas.... (this is my favorite getaway place) Rain or shine it will be a nice day!!! Watch tho you may see the J K or L orca pods...last summer we had them swim right up to beach where we were... 20 ft away maybe....

Hi Wendi... normally I could tell you but we have had such a LOUSY spring that who knows? It has been very cold and wet....It could be warm or it could be Cold LOL pack for Alaska and toss in a pair of short just in case!!

The San Juans are so beautiful... are you on any Island or just sailing thru? I love the Lavendar farm on San Juan Island, and there is extremely beautiful area on Orcas.... (this is my favorite getaway place) Rain or shine it will be a nice day!!! Watch tho you may see the J K or L orca pods...last summer we had them swim right up to beach where we were... 20 ft away maybe....

I have been checking weather often and see what a "lovely" spring you have had. As we are coming from Florida the winter clothing is nonexistent! Lol. We are actually doing A ferry trip which goes to Friday harbor. Are going to use Victoria clipper and do a whale search so hopefully see some orcas!

We actually leave in less than week headed to grand canyon/Vegas before Seattle, so looks like we will have to pack desert attire as well as glacier! Thanks for the info and any suggestions as to things to do in Seattle let me know!

Wendi:D

I have been checking weather often and see what a "lovely" spring you have had. As we are coming from Florida the winter clothing is nonexistent! Lol. We are actually doing A ferry trip which goes to Friday harbor. Are going to use Victoria clipper and do a whale search so hopefully see some orcas!

We actually leave in less than week headed to grand canyon/Vegas before Seattle, so looks like we will have to pack desert attire as well as glacier! Thanks for the info and any suggestions as to things to do in Seattle let me know!

You will have a wonderful trip thru the Islands...Friday Harbor is a cute little town... a little artsy fartsy and antiquie!!

The pods are here now so I hope you get to see them!! It truly is an amazing sight!

How long are you in Seattle? and will you have a car? Let me know and I will suggest from there!!

We hit 65 today and as cold as it has been it felt HOT! It will be nice if you have a few days to aclimate before our cruise!

You will have a wonderful trip thru the Islands...Friday Harbor is a cute little town... a little artsy fartsy and antiquie!!

The pods are here now so I hope you get to see them!! It truly is an amazing sight!

How long are you in Seattle? and will you have a car? Let me know and I will suggest from there!!

We hit 65 today and as cold as it has been it felt HOT! It will be nice if you have a few days to aclimate before our cruise!

We arrive in Seattle early Wednesday. We will have car. Our list of things in Seattle are the NOAA site at sand park to see Sound Garden, Pikes, needle and San Juan.... Are mt ranier and st Helen's a doable day trip?

Thanks!

Wendi

We arrive in Seattle early Wednesday. We will have car. Our list of things in Seattle are the NOAA site at sand park to see Sound Garden, Pikes, needle and San Juan.... Are mt ranier and st Helen's a doable day trip?

Thanks!

Wendi

Rainier is easy... 2 hours south... St Helens 4 hours or so South.... doable if you don't mind a long day!! Pike Street Market is a must,and hit the very 1st Starbucks while you are there!! you could do a short trek out to Snoqualmie Falls, and if you like hiking there are some great easy day hikes out there...(1 hour east of the city in the Cascade Foothills) Very beautiful and a whole new climate from Seattle! my email is one_sweetie@hotmail.com and we don't have to clog the board....

Go to the Balard locks, 3 miles north of the cruise ships. A big run of sockey (500,000) going thru now. Underwater viewing,plus the locks traffic-will see alot of fishing boats heading to Alaska, several gardens and will see the fish killers (sea lions and seals) eating salmon right below the locks.

Archived