Darn, it's cold up here

greatam

Just got to Homer last night. Had to figure out how to turn up the thermostat in the condo.

It is 47 degrees outside. I am freezing. Just pulled the heavy down coat out of storage.

I don't remember it being this cold last Memorial Day. More like in the high 50's-low 60's. Sure hope it warms up. If it doesn't, I will send one of my employees next year to get the paperwork started for fish shipping season.

I see now why I am very partial to Labor Day trips up here. 50's-70 with sunshine usually.

I'm going to take a walk to the Fish and Chips place for lunch. Maybe I'll warm up or maybe it is just that I am finally getting OLD and the old bones won't take the cold anymore!!!

All you Alaskans-is it just me or are you having a cold snap right now??

Same here in Chugiak. It's gorgeous and neighbors are mowing the lawns. We did have a weather front come through over the weekend which dropped temperatures and produced rain. Forecast is temps in high 50s and low 60s and nice and sunny.

It is sunny but it is about 10 degrees below what I thought it would be and what I generally remember every Memorial Day.

Went out to watch the resident otters eat their breakfast about 6AM. With the wind off the ocean and the outside temperature, it was just darn cold.

Hoping it will warm up those 10 degrees.

I don't know about Homer, but it had been pretty nice...about average...until yesterday when it dropped about 10 degrees. I was ready to plant my dahlias, but the temps are supposed to be the coldest they've been in 2 weeks for the next couple of nights. Then we should be back on track! Today is a pleasant surprise...forecast for the past week had been cloudy and rainy for all weekend. Have to admit that yesterday's rain was needed and welcome .

I was surprised to see someone's pictures that had taken the train from Anchorage to Seward on May 18. There was a lot of snow. I hope it melts by June 22 when we take the 6:45 am train from Anchorage to Seward.

It is sunny but it is about 10 degrees below what I thought it would be and what I generally remember every Memorial Day.

Went out to watch the resident otters eat their breakfast about 6AM. With the wind off the ocean and the outside temperature, it was just darn cold.

Hoping it will warm up those 10 degrees.

We'll be in Homer for a few days at the end of June. Where can I go to see the resident otters eat their breakfast? That would be a special treat for me to see! DH will be going fishing early in the a.m. with Rainbow Tours for their 1/2 day halibut charter (thanks for your recommendation!). I can drop him off and treat myself to watching the otters if I can figure out where.

When it hits 47 degrees here in Minnesota - most folks are out in shorts (with sweatshirt tops) barbequing. Either way I hope it warms up a little bit before we get up to Homer when we come up there on our cruise. Will moniter the changes.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I am currently here also and it is cold. We have had some nice days though. Whittier still had snow on the ground! And the mountains are gorgeous.

Last week we were in the 50's for most of the week. This week is more like the 40's. It is one of their coldest springs (in recent history).

Still it's pretty nice. People were lined up 20 deep to get a reindeer sausage hot dog in front of the Alaska Public Lands Office in downtown Anchorage this afternoon. Warm enough today to mow the back yard as well. After the winter we had, I'll take it!

Well, I went to Seward to do some fishing.....and it was cold there too....In some of the places....and not up the mountains...but on low land, there was still 4-5' of snow on the ground....More snow at this time of the year than I have ever seen....came back to Chugiak and wondered if I should mow the lawn....but decided I would put all the halibut in the freezer....:) WAHOO....It was a great weekend but glad to be home...much warmer here...:)

We'll be in Homer for a few days at the end of June. Where can I go to see the resident otters eat their breakfast? That would be a special treat for me to see! DH will be going fishing early in the a.m. with Rainbow Tours for their 1/2 day halibut charter (thanks for your recommendation!). I can drop him off and treat myself to watching the otters if I can figure out where.

Go to Land's End-behind the hotel and condos on the beach. The otters are out in the water every morning. It is so funny to watch them carry their rocks around with them. DH says the rocks are to beat the shells off the clams.

There are probably other places but behind Land's End I know for sure. From Rainbow Tours kiosk on the Spit just keep walking towards the water on the road. Can't miss it-it is truly land's end. You can also drive, park in the parking lot and slip between the hotel and the condos to the beach.

Enjoy!!!

All I can say is "Welcome to Alaska!"

Just where did you think you were going? The desert? :D

Let's see, we had a second snow fall this year and people are surprised to see snow on the ground in May????

If you think this is cold, try coming up here in December....:D

All I can say is "Welcome to Alaska!"

Just where did you think you were going? The desert? :D

Let's see, we had a second snow fall this year and people are surprised to see snow on the ground in May????

If you think this is cold, try coming up here in December....:D

I'm up there every year at least twice-around Memorial Day and then again Labor Day for business.

It is just colder this year and other Alaskans verified that it is about 10 degrees colder than normal.

Oh, well, I have a nice warm down coat. Will survive.

I'm up there every year at least twice-around Memorial Day and then again Labor Day for business.

It is just colder this year and other Alaskans verified that it is about 10 degrees colder than normal.

Oh, well, I have a nice warm down coat. Will survive.

I'm glad. RIght now Anchorage is "Average". So it has warmed up a bit-even if it feels cold. Keep in mind going back over the last few years, we have been above average, especially around memorial day. Once you are above average for a while, going back to average will feel cooler.

That's the way it goes.....

I thought maybe I had a skewed perception about the weather this May compared to usual, so I just checked. For Wasilla, we have only met or exceeded the average high temp on 6 days this month, and the most we've exceeded it by is a whopping 2 degrees:(. I do hope the pattern changes soon.

It is so funny to watch them carry their rocks around with them. DH says the rocks are to beat the shells off the clams.

I watched a TV show:o where they said that if an otter finds a good rock - he keeps it all day - tucks it under his arm, dives for a clam, comes back up & reuses the rock!

Will I be able to see Otters in Juneau, Ketchikan, or Skagway?

I was surprised to see someone's pictures that had taken the train from Anchorage to Seward on May 18. There was a lot of snow. I hope it melts by June 22 when we take the 6:45 am train from Anchorage to Seward.

If you were talking about the pictures I posted, the train hits a high pass between Anchorage and Seward.

When we started in Anchorage, no snow, warm and sunny.

Portage area cool, cloudy, no snow.

As we got to the bottom of the Turnagain arm and started into the mountains we started seeing snow.

Up in the mountains and over the pass, lots of snow.

Down towards Seward, snow started disappearing.

Seward Cold misty, no snow.

There is still a lot of snow up in the mountains in Alaska.

Archived