Solo Cruising in Europe

htowncruiser

Hi. I am thinking about booking a med cruise next May out of Barcelona on the Epic. I have cruised many times before but never alone. I am a single woman in my mid thirties. I think I will be ok doing the cruising part alone, what I am nervous about is the travelling part... Is getting from the airport to cruise port easy and safe? Is Barcelona safe for a single person? I am debating just flying in on the same day the cruise starts so I do not have to worry about hotels etc.

Thanks - I guess I just need some extra encouragement that I can do this alone! LOL.

Carla

I cruised from Barcelona, solo, for the first time two years ago. I flew in that morning, and the cruise company picked me up (along with others) and gave us a tour of Barcelona before heading to the ship terminal. It was perfect that way.

I can't really advise you any other way from Barcelona except to say that the airport is not far from the cruise ship terminal.

Enjoy!

April

Is Barcelona safe for a single person?

Yes! I have not cruised out of Barcelona, but I was there for a week last fall (as a solo woman, though older than you). I had been assured that there is very little personal crime in Barcelona, even though it is one of the worst spots in Europe for pickpockets, and that seemed to be very true: I didn't at all feel worried about being attached or assaulted, I didn't get that "bad vibe", and I never spoke with anyone who'd had a bad experience with respect to their safety (though I did meet a woman who'd had her purse snatched).

Take precaution against pickpockets (but those would be the same if you were solo or with others), and don't be overly worried about your safety.

I have been to Barcelona a few times (thought never for a cruise, YET) and if possible go in a day or two before the cruise to check out the beautiful city. The airport is not far from downtown, and the port is close to downtown too so there should not be an expensive cab ride ( I can't recall the cab rates from airport to downtown). Use common sense - I never felt unsafe walking around by myself, but pickpocketing is an issue, like it is in a lot of places. It is easy to get around Barcelona - good public transportation, also hop-on-hop off busses to get a decent tour of Barcelona.

Hi. I am thinking about booking a med cruise next May out of Barcelona on the Epic. I have cruised many times before but never alone. I am a single woman in my mid thirties. I think I will be ok doing the cruising part alone, what I am nervous about is the travelling part... Is getting from the airport to cruise port easy and safe? Is Barcelona safe for a single person? I am debating just flying in on the same day the cruise starts so I do not have to worry about hotels etc.

Thanks - I guess I just need some extra encouragement that I can do this alone! LOL.

Carla

It can be risky flying in the same day and I've found its also quite exhausting. I cruised out of Barcelona solo last year and would recommend one of two things. First, you could book a hotel near the airport like the Tryp - once you are settled in go back to the airport and take the express bus to Placa de Catalunya which is the tourist center and lots of wonderful sights are walking distance. Then you could take the same express back to the airport and your hotel....and just use the ship transportation the next day.

Or you could go ahead and book a hotel in town and just take a cab - they aren't very expensive and if I remember right, its a fixed rate to the city center (but you can check that on the boards).

I never felt unsafe in Barcelona - the tourist areas are well signed so it was easy to get around and just about everyone I came across spoke some English.

Em

I just took my first cruise to the Med last month.....after 30 something

cruises, this was my BEST...By Far:).....

I would say check out the roll call for your sailing. I was on a wonderful

one, with lots of friendly people. We shared in alot of private tours

and it was really nice:)

I also used Trip Advisor and that helped alot!

Europe is amazing.....I went to Rome, Naples, Sicily, Athens,

Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini and Turkey......I want to go back....

if not in 2013...then 2014!:D

I hope you have a fantastic time!!!!!!!!!!

htown, I understand your concerns--next year I'll be doing my first solo cruise and it's a Western Med on the Epic. I'll be 55 and I'm not at all concerned about the traveling alone part. Personally, I wouldn't risk flying in the day of the cruise--one delay and you could miss your cruise!

I travel alone for business and when that travel is international I add on a few days to tour. I've done that in China, Malaysia, and Amsterdam. It was fantastic getting to spend time exploring and I just made sure I was aware of what was going on around me and took appropriate precautions. I never carry a purse with me and wear a moneybelt.

I just want to encourage you to take advantage of being there and go a day or two early and explore! You'll be the richer for it! Carpe diem!

.....but couldn't beat RCCL price on my upcoming western med cruise. This, too, will be an experiment, like the first time I cruised solo on the Epic. I am nervous about not having the studio/ living room experience, where I met many friends and never flt alone. Those of you ping on the epic--enjoy! Just make sure you go to the gathering in the LR at 5:30!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cruise solo all the time, but was a little apprehensive about doing the Med alone. I just got back for a Med cruise in May solo and loved it. The tours were so intensive that I didn't notice being alone and there wasn't a lot of time spent on the ship. I was usually so tired at the end of the day that I went to bed shortly after dinner or right after a show....I never felt threatened or unsafe in the city (or any of the ports) and everyone was really friendly. I met more people on that cruise than any other solo cruise I've ever done. You'll enjoy it...

• 3 weeks later...

I did a solo Baltic cruise in May and loved it so much I am doing a Med cruise next May. I stayed in Copenhagen for a few days beforehand and took the train from the airport and then a cab to the ship. I imagine it will be just as easy in Barcelona.

I picked the Med cruise because it's as port intensive as the Baltic cruise so it's go go go during the day then the sea rocks you to sleep at night. I love seeing so many countries without having to lug my suitcases everywhere and never truly unpack like when you're on a land tour.

Carla

Hi!

I sailed out of Barcelona in February on the Jade. I found Barcelona to be a lot safer than I expected. No pickpocketing, purse snatching etc. I arranged transfers to and from the airport on viator and took a cab to and from the Port. I also sailed into Barcelona in April on the Epic. I wound up sharing a cab to my hotel with another female solo from the ship. Once again neither of us had any issues.

As long as you keep your wits about you you'll be fine. BTW Were in the same age group. I'm not single but I've traveled all over the world solo. I keep a sound mind and thankfully have never run into any major issues...or any at all really.

Bon Voyage!

Archived