Boring Job

caribsun

For what it's worth, I've been to a physics conference, and physicists can be the most charming, human, funny people! Do NOT be afraid of scientists. They're actually pretty wonderful!

I always loved physics in college but your husbands level of physics knowledge and mine is about like the difference between advanced Calculus and a 3rd grade math class. But as elementary as my classes were, I was fascinated by it. Of course, I only took the Physics for life science majors (not as much calculus thank God!) My physics professor actually wrote my letter of recommendation to medical school so in a way I have a physicist to thank for being in my current career.

What I wanted to tell her that if their health was endangered, I'll ask the staff to call the ships healthcare team but I didn't say anything and glad that no one at the table had a heart attack, stroke, seizure or stopped breathing. Let's just put it this way, when cruising I'm on vacation and the only job I want to do is have fun!

Yeah, right! Thats what you tell people but I have spent my over 20 year career around folks just like you (I'm an urgent care doc) and if someone goes down at the table or anywhere within your sight, I would bet $1000 you would be the first one there doing chest compressions and calling for the AED! You wouldn't be able to overcome the automatic reflex and adrenalin rush. :p

Yeah, right! Thats what you tell people but I have spent my over 20 year career around folks just like you (I'm an urgent care doc) and if someone goes down at the table or anywhere within your sight, I would bet $1000 you would be the first one there doing chest compressions and calling for the AED! You wouldn't be able to overcome the automatic reflex and adrenalin rush. :p

I'm afraid you're mistaken and you just lost $1000. If it were friends and/or families that were endangered, of course I would do my best to help them. But when it comes to complete strangers outside the hospital environment, I would do my best by calling the necessary team that could help that person in need. Would I like to help them much further? Yes, I would but as an ICU nurse my automatic reflex is to protect myself before I do any lifesaving measures. If someone was to "go down" while at the MDR, where would you find gloves, gowns or a mask to protect yourself? Also, protection would include knowing an individual's health history and I know the health history of my closest friends and family. In addition, let's say that I get that adrenalin rush and decide to perform CPR on a stranger. How would I know that that stranger doesn't have a communicable disease such as mononucleosis, strep throat or the ever infamous norovirus and what guarantees do I have if my safety becomes compromised when you're being a good samaritan?

Thanks for your post and I don't like to gamble huge amounts so I'll just give you back your $1000. ;)

you COULD tell folks that you're just a chemist... BUT you work for the Medellin Cartel in their drug labs *L*

I typically get some strange looks when I tell folks that I spent the last 35 yrs in jail and prison.....but then add that that was only as an employee (running correctional kitchens).

I usually avoid telling people i meet that I work in a prison or as human resources. I don't want to talk about my job while I am on vacation and those seem to be conversation starting topics. So I just say I do data entry for the state of Nevada :P

I'm afraid you're mistaken and you just lost $1000. If it were friends and/or families that were endangered, of course I would do my best to help them. But when it comes to complete strangers outside the hospital environment, I would do my best by calling the necessary team that could help that person in need. Would I like to help them much further? Yes, I would but as an ICU nurse my automatic reflex is to protect myself before I do any lifesaving measures. If someone was to "go down" while at the MDR, where would you find gloves, gowns or a mask to protect yourself? Also, protection would include knowing an individual's health history and I know the health history of my closest friends and family. In addition, let's say that I get that adrenalin rush and decide to perform CPR on a stranger. How would I know that that stranger doesn't have a communicable disease such as mononucleosis, strep throat or the ever infamous norovirus and what guarantees do I have if my safety becomes compromised when you're being a good samaritan?

Current CPR guidelines stress compressions being more important than breaths and indeed rescue breathing is not stressed in 1 man CPR so you could do compressions until help arrives. But you still surprise me cuz most the folks I know would still do CPR. I have done CPR on humans even since the advent of some of the more concerning diseases like AIDs without the benefit of any gloves, gowns etc....and would still do so unless there was blood involved. Odd, most men would kiss a woman they just met that evening in a nightclub if she's beautiful yet would let someone else die because they don't want to touch their lips (fearing strep?) to give them a breath during CPR???? Hmmmm!!! Interesting priorities.

My late husband was a priest in the Church of England. He always tried to avoid disclosing this to our table companions because it was a complete conversation stopper. People always immediately felt that they had to be really careful what they said, which wasn't the case at all from his point of view.

My husband is an Episcopal priest and has that experience as well. So strange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I have a boring job, I'm a chemist. At dinner or when meeting others when the topic of what you do for a living I get a blank stare or a response of Ohhh. :p No disrespect but if you are a used car salesman or sanitation worker the give and go in the discussion goes on and on. I just get a blank stare. :D

Do others find your occupation boring or interesting. :)

See, I would be just the opposite. My family owns a car dealership so we talk about that ALL the time. My degree is in Biology, but I had to take a boatload of chem classes in college so I would be asking questions and discussing with you to no end! It would make my week to be seated with another science person!

Cool thread. I have worked as a Teacher, A Research Chemist, A "line" Chemist, A chainman, and now own a Map and Flag Store. I also am a Geographer (M.A.) so I can usually hold a conversation with most people about occupations. But I really like to learn about my tablemates and since many are retired usually I ask what their career was. Some of the more interesting ones were Small Motel Owner from Florida who had several residents that would spend their winters in their Motel. A Gentleman who purchased the Mines that I worked in when I was a Uranium Research Chemist. A Railroad Man. All cruisers are interesting and most like to talk about their careers.

Cool thread. I have worked as a Teacher, A Research Chemist, A "line" Chemist, A chainman, and now own a Map and Flag Store. I also am a Geographer (M.A.) so I can usually hold a conversation with most people about occupations. But I really like to learn about my tablemates and since many are retired usually I ask what their career was. Some of the more interesting ones were Small Motel Owner from Florida who had several residents that would spend their winters in their Motel. A Gentleman who purchased the Mines that I worked in when I was a Uranium Research Chemist. A Railroad Man. All cruisers are interesting and most like to talk about their careers.

Imagine the reaction if you told 'em you were a cartographer?

My face would light up! I love maps! I have them hanging in my house, and I finally bought myself a new globe last year. I have a few atlases on my shelves (and in my car) and I almost always look up places I read about in the news.

I forget not everyone shares my enthusiasm for geography and sometimes get glazed looks when sharing my itinerary for my next trip.

My face would light up! I love maps! I have them hanging in my house, and I finally bought myself a new globe last year. I have a few atlases on my shelves (and in my car) and I almost always look up places I read about in the news.

I forget not everyone shares my enthusiasm for geography and sometimes get glazed looks when sharing my itinerary for my next trip.

Love google earth.

Can actually see some of the ports, hotels, walk down the streets, see what is nearby.

Prior to starting to cruise, I worked as a Weight Watchers Meeting Room Leader. Think about how much of a buzz kill that would have been at dinner!! :D I could just imagine people feeling either guilty about what they were eating, or asking me to "Point" their food choices for them!! LOL! Now I am just an overweight housewife. Obviously I stopped listening to myself!

Out of the 5 cruises we've taken so far, we've never been at the dining table with strangers. It's always been just our family. So we've never had to discuss our employment with others.

But in other situations where jobs were talked about, when I tell people what I do, I get the SAME reaction EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. "Oh my god, I could NEVER do that. I give you a lot of credit" LOL I'm a school bus driver. Been doing it now for 11yrs and actually love it. Granted there are days that I'd like to run that bus right off a cliff but hey, we all get days like that.

And hubby is the electrical maintenance guy at his job.

Totally understand, pampaul - my husband is a high school science teacher. Apparently that's a job that people could never do, either. Plus, everyone's been through school, so they know all about teachers and I'm a stay at home mom, so there's nothing interesting there. We'll be on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and w/DH's distaste for small talk, it should be an interesting experience. At least we're on NCL, so if he really doesn't want to be chatty, we'll at least be easily seated alone to eat.

Nope, just sell maps don't make them. But I do know how to make them.

But I can usually stop the conversation with, "I am also a vexillologist"

(I can hear google screaming already)

I get people all the time coming into my store with the comment. "I am just such a map freak. I love maps!"

Of course, owning a map store AND having a Master's in Geography, I think I have them trumped on being a map freak. :)

This is the one we avoid, too....my OH is retired, but still working for the C of E during interregnums.... We normally say that we're both involved in teaching....;)

Have a wonderful time on Azura, by the way. I've only been on her for the night of the naming ceremony, but we loved her, and like to travel on her twin, Ventura, too.:)

Jo.

Hi Jo. Nice to know other people feel the same way! :) Yes, I'm really looking forward to Azura.

My husband is an Episcopal priest and has that experience as well. So strange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have very odd ideas about priests don't they? My husband used to say 'Well I am only a man'.

A note to Mich,

You wrote that your Science teacher husband doesn't like small talk and this seems to have you worried. Please do not worry about this, for several reasons.

First, most likely you will meet other teachers. Second, If you do not like your table mates ask the dining room manager to move you. Third, if he has a major problem meeting new people there are places on the ship where you can have breakfast, lunch, and dinner by yourselves...not much fun though.

As you are first time cruisers, keep in mind (to me at least) is that the aesthetics of a cruise and spending time together are what make cruising such a wonderful experience. Make sure for example that you stand in the wind as the ship sails out to sea...go out on deck in the evening to see a full moon.

People have very odd ideas about priests don't they? My husband used to say 'Well I am only a man'.

Two cruises ago we sailed over Easter. Two of the couples in our group were Catholic and went to the services. They had great conversations with the priest and invited him to join our group at Easter dinner. We were all dressed up, of course. My 4 YO grandson thought he was the captain he looked so formal. Well, 2 of our group comes to dinner and sees the priest and they are thinking, uh oh, not sure what to say. Then the girl sits on her purse which has a feather on it. The feather ends up stuck to her butt. The guy starts laughing because, well, the feather is stuck to her butt. The priest asks what is so funny. Well, they don't want to tell him. He pushes it and they finally spill the beans. He laughs. He tells them, I was a chaplain in the military. I've heard it all. You don't need to change your conversation for me. After that, conversation went back to normal.

I think most of us just don't want to offend. Let's face it, some religious people can have very uptight ideals and you just don't know what is offensive or not and rather then offend we say nothing. I can tell you, years ago my father in law was offended because we had a single glass of wine at dinner in our own home. He decided (after years of his own excessive drinking) that that was no longer acceptable because he had become religious. He actually threatened to leave because of it. Most of us are just trying to be respectful.

Not knowing a strangers views makes it hard to know how to respond until the priest (or equivalent) let's the others know.

I think most of us just don't want to offend. Let's face it, some religious people can have very uptight ideals and you just don't know what is offensive or not and rather then offend we say nothing.

There just happens to be some folks that spend their lives looking to be offended.

I really do not care about your religious beliefs, political opinions, or political correctness, however, I will respect you for it.

If you have a problem with me because I have a drink, am a Pastafarian, or love eating dead animals, well, that is your problem not mine.

And if I happen to offend someone, it is only because they happen to be a very small minded ignorant person.

Hey, I am here to have fun, not make judgement of others.

Archived