Boring Job

caribsun

I am a funeral director- that gets a very wide range of responses and questions LOL

I cannot tell you how much I respect your profession. At the time we are the most vulnerable and need help, you all provide compassionate and caring services to ease the pain and treat our loved ones with respect and love.

I don't think being a chemist is boring at all, but I would be afraid of discussing it with one since I'm not entirely sure what they do and I would want to sound stupid.

My favorite character in my favorite book is an Actuary, so I know what that means (and also find that interesting).

I'm a delivery dispatcher for a large New England based heating oil company. The work itself can be a bit boring because I analyse and adjust automatic delivery schedules. Essentially it's my job to make sure people don't run out of heating oil. Living in Maine this becomes pretty important in the winter.

I generally don't talk too much about my #1 job as people seem to always say the same thing to me. That's so sad, it takes a special person to do what you do. The truth is that while I have empathy and care deeply for our students and their families, we have fun at work and try to make the day uplifting and positive, I get to play and sing and be a bit goofy. I work with multiply handicapped children, some of them with fragile medical needs.

So I just say I work with special needs children and most people assume I'm with autistic or Downs kids.

I love the kids, love the staff and it's a happy place, no sitting around moaning about bosses or jealous co-workers... we all do the same job in the room.

So, if I have to talk about my employment, I've started referring to #2 part time job, selling luggage and travel supplies in a luggage store. I have quite a bit if fun there too, speaking with people about my favorite topic, vacations!

I feel lucky, 2 jobs that I love to do:)

When people start talking about office jobs (been there, done that) I feel bad for them stuck behind a desk all day.

When I mention that I'm in tech support, people's eyes glaze over. I actually work for a Fortune 100 healthcare company and deal with multi-million-dollar systems, so it's not the typical "end-user" helpdesk like when you call your computer tech support and get someone in India :D

Although, quite frankly, I think I'd rather be a chemist!

Don't feel bad I am a Nurse, get a couple of us together and the conversation usually turns toward various bodily functions that make people no longer feel like eating :eek:

You can join Gertiesmom and me at our own table.

It is fun listening to people talk about their jobs. My main issue is with those table mates who act like your job isn't important. On my first cruise, my wife and I (I was a respiratory therapist, she was a nurse) sat with the President of a medium size company who acted like we really had menial jobs. Our most recent cruise we sat with a gentleman who had retired from marketing and had a great time listening to each others' various stories of work (and the issues that are universal in every job--not to worry, Gertiesmom, I left out the gross stuff). You can always find something fascinating if you ask questions and almost every job has some funny stories.

When people start talking about office jobs (been there, done that) I feel bad for them stuck behind a desk all day.

Me too! I mentioned upthread that I'm an air traffic controller. Talk about the corner office! The tower is the highest building around, with 360 degree views. We've seen every fireworks display for every occasion, great storms, sunsets (sometimes sunrises), big full moons, rainbows, and even the northern lights. And sometimes it's snowing so hard we can't even see the terminal.

Me too! I mentioned upthread that I'm an air traffic controller. Talk about the corner office! The tower is the highest building around, with 360 degree views. We've seen every fireworks display for every occasion, great storms, sunsets (sometimes sunrises), big full moons, rainbows, and even the northern lights. And sometimes it's snowing so hard we can't even see the terminal.

That is a fascinating job! I would love to share a table with you... I bet you have some great stories to tell!:)

I work on cruise ships, I know what you mean.

Nothing like the White nights or sunsets on Baltic Sea.

That is a fascinating job! I would love to share a table with you... I bet you have some great stories to tell!:)

Yeah, but you may not want to hear them ;):D Like doctors, we run on gallows humor. We have had a lot of fun though, mixed in with the aggravation and lunacy.

Looking forward to my next cruise, when I finally don't have to explain my job at the prison or my job in child protective services. Both tended to get a lot of questions about things that I honestly didn't want to think about or talk about on vacation. I do love hearing about other people's professions, but try to let them lead the conversation. If they seem like they don't mind talking about it, I will ask a few questions, but otherwise try to let them decide what job-related things they want to talk about.

Reminds me of when my best friend was pregnant and went to get a massage. The person doing the massage asked her what she did. She explained that she worked at the prison and the lady ended up asking her questions for the length of the massage. She said it was the least relaxing massage she had ever had, and that she was going to lie about her job from then on.

You can join Gertiesmom and me at our own table.

It is fun listening to people talk about their jobs. My main issue is with those table mates who act like your job isn't important. On my first cruise, my wife and I (I was a respiratory therapist, she was a nurse) sat with the President of a medium size company who acted like we really had menial jobs. Our most recent cruise we sat with a gentleman who had retired from marketing and had a great time listening to each others' various stories of work (and the issues that are universal in every job--not to worry, Gertiesmom, I left out the gross stuff). You can always find something fascinating if you ask questions and almost every job has some funny stories.

Great save me a seat at the table....sure its a menial job....until they are looking up at you in resp distress :D

I love to talk to people that are pationate about what they do and learn something new from them all the time.

Looking forward to my next cruise, when I finally don't have to explain my job at the prison or my job in child protective services. Both tended to get a lot of questions about things that I honestly didn't want to think about or talk about on vacation. I do love hearing about other people's professions, but try to let them lead the conversation. If they seem like they don't mind talking about it, I will ask a few questions, but otherwise try to let them decide what job-related things they want to talk about.

Reminds me of when my best friend was pregnant and went to get a massage. The person doing the massage asked her what she did. She explained that she worked at the prison and the lady ended up asking her questions for the length of the massage. She said it was the least relaxing massage she had ever had, and that she was going to lie about her job from then on.

Next time just say that you were IN prison, slight change in wording, they probably will no longer want to talk :D

Haven't seen my profession on here yet. I am a paralegal, working for a legal aid office. I represent very poor disabled people and help them obtain Social Security Disability or SSI benefits. Oh, does that open a can of worms in the conversation. It's legal, medical and political all in one job!

I can talk about it for hours, but most people's eyes glaze over after the first few minutes.

On the other hand, ask me about my agility dog or my READ therapy dog!

Next time just say that you were IN prison, slight change in wording, they probably will no longer want to talk :D

LOL Exactly! When people asked and I didn't feel like talking, I just always dropped in key words or phrases like "lock in a sock", "exposure", or "cutting" and they dropped the subject! ;)

Haven't seen my profession on here yet. I am a paralegal, working for a legal aid office. I represent very poor disabled people and help them obtain Social Security Disability or SSI benefits. Oh, does that open a can of worms in the conversation. It's legal, medical and political all in one job!

I can talk about it for hours, but most people's eyes glaze over after the first few minutes.

On the other hand, ask me about my agility dog or my READ therapy dog!

Oh my word, I bet that really does open a can of worms!

I'm a software developer for a big well known company. When I tell people that their eyes glaze over and I suddenly become invisible or they want me to act as tech support, sigh. No, I don't know why your computer hates you :)

I'm an accountant. Yep. I'm a CPA who does taxes and loves it. The work, not the stupid hours and stress of tax season.

My ex is a physicist. At least his degree is in Applied Physics from Durham University. He moved to the states after I met him and worked for a large medical equipment manufacturer. He used to work on the old resistive-magnet MRI systems. Talk about your eyes glazing over! He'd try to talk to me about his work and I didn't have a clue.

After we split, I went to school and got my accounting degree. Then, when he'd come to visit his daughter, I'd get some revenge by talking tax code at him. :D

I'm rather shy and introverted. That's why I always request a large table for dinner. Having recently been unemployed, I realized that the ability to make small talk with strangers is actually a very good skill to have. I honestly believe those Dinners With Strangers helped me with my interview skills.

I promise you medical types that I won't tell you about my frozen shoulder if you won't ask me tax questions!

Archived