Boring Job

caribsun

My mom's a nurse - there was nothing off limits at dinner (and now she works in health informatics:p) I work in health research - my boss is an infectious disease doctor - it takes a lot to gross me out. The flip side is that I do occasionally discuss things that other people probably don't think are appropriate dinner table topics:eek:

Yeah but I find they usually get over it or walk away....no need to ruin our fun :D

I'm a software developer for a big well known company. When I tell people that their eyes glaze over and I suddenly become invisible or they want me to act as tech support, sigh. No, I don't know why your computer hates you :)

Tell them to look up ID-10T or PEBCAC errors :p

One night I told the people at the table that I was a TLO with the NNCTC. They asked what that was. I told them that if I told them that I would NOT have to kill them but that I would go to prison for a long time with a hefty fine. The looks on their faces were worth it. I'm going to have to do that again :)

One night I told the people at the table that I was a TLO with the NNCTC. They asked what that was. I told them that if I told them that I would NOT have to kill them but that I would go to prison for a long time with a hefty fine. The looks on their faces were worth it. I'm going to have to do that again :)

Not that hard to figure out... It is a Terrorism Liaison Office for The Northern Nevada Counter Terrorism Center.

I am an ex-researcher...

Rather than disrespsect, I suspect it is exactly the opposite. The blank stare is "Wow, a scientist. I am so out of my depth here." Too many of us are better versed in the arts and letters than the sciences.

Perhaps after you say you are a chemist, you might just a bit more and say I am involved with ******** and mention whatever it is you feel comfortable commenting about the specific type of projects on which you work.

Many doctors, lawyers, accountants don't like saying what they do as seems everyone then has a professional issue/question they want you to advise about. DH tries to avoid talking about his work when we are away. Everyone has an 'issue' and he's on vacation. :D

As a corporate accounting manager, I agree. I can't tell you how many people think that because I am an accountant, I will have all the answers to their tax problems. I have learned to ask the right questions to get them talking more about themselves and what they do and am a very good listener...DD has taught me how to do that very well;). Otherwise I try switching the subject to my wonderful kids:D.

I thought that since most cruise lines today have such a diverse passenger base from a socio-economic perspective, that it was considered inappropriate to talk about one's occupation during a cruise.

Oh not at all, dah-ling. What with everything else that's come out of the closet (and thank goodness for that!), I think one need not be embarrassed to mention the work one does, surely.

I thought that since most cruise lines today have such a diverse passenger base from a socio-economic perspective, that it was considered inappropriate to talk about one's occupation during a cruise.

I would think that "where are you from?" and "what do you do?" are some of the most neutral conversation points among strangers :rolleyes:

I have the world's most BORING job. But I also have a "motivation plague" in the form of a wall of photographs (like Homer Simpson!) with pictures of all the places I want to visit in the world to remind me why I am counting these paperclips!

We spend so much of our waking hours at work, it would be kind of weird if that matter was brushed under the carpet as not being polite to discuss at dinner.

I'm not discussing politics, religion, or anything of that sort, and I'm sure you don't want to hear about my 3 year old all night (even though I think he's the coolest thing since sliced bread). Why would it be inappropriate to talk about one's occupation?? That's where some of the most interesting discussions can come from. Passenger diversity is a good thing, and shouldn't discourage people from feeling welcome to discuss more about their life experience. We've always thought our region was pretty uninteresting, at least to people in other parts of the world, but we made friends from England on one of our cruises, and they were fascinated by the south. Our differences shouldn't be anything that we hide, but that we celebrate!

I'm not discussing politics, religion, or anything of that sort, and I'm sure you don't want to hear about my 3 year old all night (even though I think he's the coolest thing since sliced bread). Why would it be inappropriate to talk about one's occupation??

Well .... because some people go through life looking to be offended.

Hey, if you do not want to tell people what you do for a living or discuss your job, when asked, just say "I sell life insurance ...... how old are you?"

Hey, if you do not want to tell people what you do for a living or discuss your job, when asked, just say "I sell life insurance ...... how old are you?"

Ha!! I'll use that next.

I once met a lady who worked as a sexual therapist. That would be a real ice breaker:

"If you have any problems, I'll be glad to discuss them right here at the dinner table!"

I would think that "where are you from?" and "what do you do?" are some of the most neutral conversation points among strangers :rolleyes:

Illyria - I agree with you, and always respond to these questions. My comment was based on what a number of people have posted on another cruise critic board, and does not reflect what I actually think.

Just to clarify - my previous post, quoted above, is based on what a number of people on another cruise critic board have posted, and does not reflect what I actually think. I agree with those who have said where are you from and what do you do are the most natural questions between passengers on a cruise, and my husband and I always answer them. I have even asked them myself :)

It could be cultural. In some places it's considered rude to ask someone what they do for a living. And in some places, it's accepted (and expected) to discuss politics. Just another example of how "manners" are arbitrary, and what's acceptable to some people is anathema to others. It's what makes travel interesting :)

And as far as asking where someone is from. Obviously on a cruise ship we're all "from" somewhere else, but on dry land I don't assume that because someone is speaking a foreign language that they're not local. Because I'm interested in languages, I may ask (politely, I hope) what language they're speaking, then maybe a conversation will start. I just think it's so interesting how people's paths will cross all over our little planet.

I think "where are you from?" and "what do you do for a living?" are questions many people start with to find common ground to talk about. After all, we are going to be sharing a table for the week. In the case of our first cruise when it was obvious we didn't have table mates who felt our jobs interesting, we (somewhat awkwardly) found other things to talk about. However, if we HAD found someone with similar jobs or simply similar job situations, as we did on our second cruise, we could spend most of the remainder of the cruise trading stories.

I can't imagine any scenario where 'what do you do for a living' or some variation thereof could be rude or intrusive. Now, if the answer is followed up with "Wow, how much does that pay?" or some variant on that theme, I could understand it. Of course, my standard answer to any question like that is "Not nearly enough".

A little OT, I have been thinking that since we're sailing a few short weeks after the U.S. presidential election, I can expect to be asked my opinion on the outcome. I REALLY don't want to discuss politics so I've readied my answer. "I am either disappointed or happy. In either case, it's all that's been talked about at home for more than a year, and I am so sick of it! So, how was your shore excursion today?"

I was only going to make one comment but that is blown out the water. It was:

Are there any people cruising that have "ordinary" jobs, not accountants, lawyers, scientists, chemists, teachers ect. The ordinary man in the street, i.e. garbage collector, shop assistant, carpenter, electrician, get my drift:D

I can possibly see why people clam up and not keep the convo's going.

Actually I think there is nothing more normal than to ask where are you from and what do you do for a job. Nothing offensive about that, conversations starters really. We love nothing more than to chat with people from other countries.

It could be cultural. In some places it's considered rude to ask someone what they do for a living. And in some places, it's accepted (and expected) to discuss politics. Just another example of how "manners" are arbitrary, and what's acceptable to some people is anathema to others. It's what makes travel interesting :)

Yes, it can indeed be rude to ask one what they do for a living. I'm not sure of all the cultures and reasons why, but in one culture (I can't remember, but I believe it was in Europe) it's extremely rude to ask one about their financial position at all...and since you could deduce one's income by their job, it was naturally rude to even ask what their job was.

I think it's perfectly normal in the US, so if the first question is "where are you from?" and it's the US, then feel free to ask what they do for a living. If it's from somewhere else...I can't help ya there. Either research, wait for them to ask first, or just ask and see what their reaction is. Even if it's a faux pas to ask in their culture...maybe they're cultured enough to know that it's perfectly normal for Americans to ask that :)

I don't mind at all when someone asks what I do for a living. I just get a bit uncomfortable when they assume it must not be by choice, and ask what kind of work I'm looking for or something along those lines (because no man would ever CHOOSE to stay at home with two kids...well I'll admit, maybe no sane man would).

Archived