Is Cruise Elegant Night Soon to be a thing of the Past?

zqvol

I have not read everyone's responses, but I believe several will agree with me, lets KEEP IT!:)

One of the reasons we like it is, we get to DRESS UP to the 9's, and we don't do this much at home.

reading the feedback, i don't think they are going anywhere.

and i don't think a port intensive breeze cruise is a barometer for anything.

seems the brand ambassador has come to his senses, realizing he was basing this on a port intensive european cruise. is he reading cruise critic?

I have no issue with elegant night. I believe the whole formal thing came from a time when liners didn't hop from port to port having their passengers coming back exhausted, smelly and burned from ziplining, dolphin kissing, river tubing, etc. Transatlantic crossings would lend themselves to formal evenings.

However, from what I read I see that it takes two to tango. If Carnival expects its' passengers to dress up on designated days then I would have hoped that something would be different in the MDR. No different dinnerware? Not a big deal, I guess, but no flowers? Linen napkins? Nothing? We don't have plastic utensils do we? Maybe that's why Carnival doesn't enforce the rule. I do agree with the OP, though, if I had to sit next to some big guy in a wife-beater giving me tantalizing glimpses of his sweaty armpits, I would gag too. I saw a guy get turfed from a restaurant once wearing the very same thing and it was a wings and beer kind of place, for god's sake.

Everything is much more casual today but that doesn't mean people have to dress like slobs. I see people driving to pick up their mail in PJs and slippers, with bedhead. They look like refugees from an institution. And when I worked, casual fridays meant just that; comfortable clothes that are clean and unwrinkled, not coming to work in sweats and holey t-shirts looking like you're going to strip paint.

I'm bringing one dress that I would wear to a cocktail party that probably weighs about 8 ounces. I'll hang it in the WC while I shower to get the wrinkles out. The second elegant night, I'll probably be in the steakhouse or the buffet.

I guess I just don't get people who sign up for a cruise that has dresscodes and other rules (like no BYOB) and then complain. Would they go live in an adults-only condo then complain about the rules because they have kids? Surely, there are all sorts of cruise vacations that offer what each group wants which would make everyone happy.

Still, though, cruise lines don't appear enforce many rules (chair hog issue comes to mind) so I guess it is what it is.

My wife loves to dress up, me not so much. I only dress up for weddings at home, why would I want to on vacation? That said, I do wear khakis and a button up shirt on "elegant" night, while I wear a polo shirt with khaki shorts or pants on the other nights.

Why not have the people who want to dress up in one dining room and those who don't in another? Everyone would get what they want. I know on Destiny, we had ATD and there were very few who dressed up when we were dining.

My wife loves to dress up, me not so much. I only dress up for weddings at home, why would I want to on vacation? That said, I do wear khakis and a button up shirt on "elegant" night, while I wear a polo shirt with khaki shorts or pants on the other nights.

Why not have the people who want to dress up in one dining room and those who don't in another? Everyone would get what they want. I know on Destiny, we had ATD and there were very few who dressed up when we were dining.

I don't see any problem (nor would I assume anyone else does) with khakis and a button-up shirt on formal night. Personally, as I've said earlier, I wear a suit. That doesn't mean I expect everyone else to.

People's annoyance comes from those who will NOT put on a decent shirt and pair of khakis.

We (my hubby also) love love love to "DRESS UP" as they say.....we live in a resort area and NEVER have the chance to "DRESS UP" who does when they are living here or on vacation here? We work all through tourist season and when it comes to our yearly cruise.... we not only always over pack ,but bring lots of dress up clothes....Even if they did take away Elegant Night...we would still Dress Up! I love to see all the beautiful ladies and thier significant other all dressed up.....That's just my own thoughts on Elegant Night....

Makes sense to me! You can pick early or late dining....why not formal or casual. ;)

Archived