Is Cruise Elegant Night Soon to be a thing of the Past?

zqvol

I've answered this question many times on this board, about why men (at least) don't get excited about formal night. I'll post it again.

First of all, men's elegant clothes for social functions are the same as elegant clothes for work, while women have different elegant clothes for social events and for work. A man being required to dress up on a cruise feels like he's going to work, if his job has a formal dress code. But a woman would not feel that way, since she would still not be wearing what she wears to work. Luckily my job has a casual dress code, but I still have to dress up for things like meetings and conferences.

The second reason why I think opinions would split on gender lines is because many cruises are in warm destinations. Men's formal clothes are very hot in hot destinations, while women's formal clothes seem more appropriate for warm destinations. Also, women have more freedom to choose what to wear, and can choose clothes based on the weather. Men do not have that option. A lot of women on this board complain that the temperature in the dining rooms is too cold, and complain that the cruise lines set the temperature to accommodate the men. But, I think the cruise lines do the right thing there, because women can always cover up if they are too cold, while men can't do much if it's too hot. Though that doesn't help much outside.

I remember on our last cruise, in the Caribbean during June, on a very hot, sunny day (and I was badly sunburned, despite using a lot of sunscreen), my wife wanted to go outside, while I had my suit on, to watch the Beyonce concert on the Seaside Theater. That worked out well for her in her nice, cool dress, though it was very hot for me. She loves the formal nights, since (as other women say), she "doesn't have many opportunities to dress up".

They should also try to avoid scheduling elegant nights on port days. To be honest, that can be somewhat of a nuissance. On land, it would be unusual for someone who spent the day at the beach to want to dress up later that same day. Especially if you are tired, sunburned, and short on time. Elegant nights work best on sea days, when there is more time.

On another note: I can never understand why women find a man wearing a suit to be so attractive, even in 100 degree weather. What is so attractive about something that shows none of me other than my face and my hands, and (on a hot day) makes me hot and barely able to breathe? Anytime I wear a suit, my wife is constantly telling me how good I look in it. I can't quite understand why, to be honest.

To be honest, women can often be hypocrites when it comes to clothing. They'll say it's "too hot" to wear something or "too cold" to wear something else, yet they expect their husband to wear a suit no matter how hot it is.

I should also mention that I don't mind so much dressing up for dinner. Dinner is indoors in an air conditioned room, and doesn't involve a lot of movement. What I hate is having to remain dressed up for the rest of the night to please my wife (not sure what Carnival's official policy is), especially when doing activities that are outdoors and/or involve a lot of movement. Especially when I have to listen to her constantly tell me how nice and cool she is in her dress.

Jeans and t-shirts at a wedding? If I ever get married again I'll post security outside with instructions to not allow anyone in wearing jeans or t-shirts.......unless I decide to get married on a farm.

If you do that, I will shoot your wedding for free. :D I can promise you one thing, I WILL continue to dress up when I shoot them. Even a garden wedding should warrent at least khakis and polos in my book.

Our first three cruises, we dressed up. Looked dang good too! But you know....I'm doing a cruise in the place of a week in Destin or St George Island so I'm on a cruise to relax and get back to basics. I'm not interested in wearing attire typically worn to a wedding, funeral, or dinner with the "beards." Cruise(beach) casual is where I want to be. SAYING THAT........

There are TWO dining rooms on cruise ships. Why in the WORLD can't one be more formal than the other? Dining room "A" requires men to wear a jacket/ladies a dress and dining room "B" is cruise casual. Seems like an easy fix to me!

I just got marrried 3 weeks ago.. I hate dressing up.. Just not me.. So Our wedding was casual.. She bought a sun dress and I wore kakis with a orange shirt she bought me.. We had a awesome wedding great pictures.. I dont see the need to wear a suit or a tux inless im meeting the President.. But hey thats just me.

I LOVE those pictures. That shows the personality of you. I agree that suits and ties are not needed. I am a huge fan of khaki myself. As a woman I do believe I have 4 pairs myself. :rolleyes:

Our first three cruises, we dressed up. Looked dang good too! But you know....I'm doing a cruise in the place of a week in Destin or St George Island so I'm on a cruise to relax and get back to basics. I'm not interested in wearing attire typically worn to a wedding, funeral, or dinner with the "beards." Cruise(beach) casual is where I want to be. SAYING THAT........

There are TWO dining rooms on cruise ships. Why in the WORLD can't one be more formal than the other? Dining room "A" requires men to wear a jacket/ladies a dress and dining room "B" is cruise casual. Seems like an easy fix to me!

I believe all the mainstream cruise lines are leaning toward what NCL is doing.

Their system has eliminated the bickering from the penguin emulators about the shirt and slacks crowd.

They have one dining room that is a little more restrictive than the other, and most seem to like and accept that system.

Maybe the Carnival family has seen something they like about that and are slowly drifting that direction.

yup. the days of dining are converting to eating. if the current carnival cruiser states they don't notice what others are wearing, they certainly are not going to notice these delicate touches.

And when is the last time you saw flowers on the MDR tables? Another way they save money. AND make the dining experience less elegant. I don't think I would blame passengers for being too casual. I blame Carnival for being MORE casual.

We can hope, I for one go on Celebrity when I want a "dress up cruise"

Carnival is laid back and as was mentioned, nothing really elegant about it anymore!~!!!

Ditto. Why dress for mediocre sing/dance shows, foul-mouthed comedians, and pre-recorded music? Give me some special star entertainment like some other cruiselines with full inventive 4 course dinner menus and maybe it will be worthy of dressing up. But it will not be on the Carnival of 2012.

Taking a little bit from what different people are saying, perhaps one formal night that is truely formal. Flowers on the tables, a great 4 course meal, a captians party with free champagne, and required formal wear for the MDR on that night. That might make Carnival stand out.

I'm 24 and my wife is 25.

You guys are wearing some heavy clothes if weight is the reason you don't dress up. If you don't like to, no big deal, but don't act like the weight of your luggage is that much of a factor.

Suits are heavy, suit appropriate dress shoes are even heavier.

You know how carnival has seemed to be putting out feelers about what people would pay extra for?

Maybe they are thinking of doing an actual ultra elegant night for an additional fee.

You know, live music, candle-like lighting, dancing...

Then those who want to engage in the formal fantasy could do it and everyone else could relax a bit.

Thats a good idea they should just have another specialty restaurant with an enforced strict dress code that all the people who like that kind of thing could go to.

What I do not understand is all these people who say that they don't have an opportunity to dress formally other than on a cruise. If you want to dress formally while at home why don't you just go to an expensive restaurant or the theater or opera while you are at home? You can dress formally as much as you want. But that is not an excuse to make us wear coats and ties in the caribbean in July!

I just got marrried 3 weeks ago.. I hate dressing up.. Just not me.. So Our wedding was casual.. She bought a sun dress and I wore kakis with a orange shirt she bought me.. We had a awesome wedding great pictures.. I dont see the need to wear a suit or a tux inless im meeting the President.. But hey thats just me.

Congrats on your wedding..You are the second person attaching a description of your wedding to me. Why? What does this have to do with me?:confused:

That is an awesome idea. I'd much rather have Dress Fun night than Cruise Elegant. I've also noted that Elegant has a regional definition as well. A lot of the complainers seem fixated on traditional mother-of-the-bride chiffon creations and consider passengers wearing more subtle, (and some might say more tasteful), outfits as flouting the rules. I believe Carnival sailed out of NOLA first so maybe a Mardi Gras night in place of Cruise Elegant. Could be fun. :)

Might be more fun for some, yes. But, the basics are the same as elegant nights. You still have to pack them and you still have to stop and get dressed in them, there's still weight restrictions on airlines. If you are on a theme cruise, attire will likely match, look at Halloween cruises.

I believe they are employees. Appears that they removed the thread on fb.

they have a school, in Miami , maybe else where as well....they are trained to pose peeps, charm the ladies, react w/kids, do the backdrop up-down...have development/print/computer duties, They must do a quota of shots, and follow the rules. I have 2 gal pals who work for the Pic company.

one suitcase.and a tote. Dressed up every night, shoes, bag, jewels, fancy schmancy..3 pc day wear, extra shoes and all the necessary stuff.....sure I repeat things, but pack judiciously.No big fluffy ball gowns for me...bottoms n tops and a tank or cami.colour themed.different every night!

NO baggage charge..No over weight bag.. 44 pounds @ weigh in..tote in overhead bin..and my "handbag "thing..I pack with great planning. I can carry my own if need to..and have!!! I steam what needs to be "pressed", or do it myself. Anne Mc Alpin has a great packing list on line..I make my own and stick to it. Carry on my meds, face, jewels and things I dont want to dissappear

But thatz just me !!! Still will dress to the 9's on Spring 16 day TA

one suitcase.and a tote. Dressed up every night, shoes, bag, jewels, fancy schmancy..3 pc day wear, extra shoes and all the necessary stuff.....sure I repeat things, but pack judiciously.No big fluffy ball gowns for me...bottoms n tops and a tank or cami.colour themed.different every night!

NO baggage charge..No over weight bag.. 44 pounds @ weigh in..tote in overhead bin..and my "handbag "thing..I pack with great planning. I can carry my own if need to..and have!!! I steam what needs to be "pressed", or do it myself. Anne Mc Alpin has a great packing list on line..I make my own and stick to it. Carry on my meds, face, jewels and things I dont want to dissappear

But thatz just me !!! Still will dress to the 9's on Spring 16 day TA

You are my new BFF:o

Taking a little bit from what different people are saying, perhaps one formal night that is truely formal. Flowers on the tables, a great 4 course meal, a captians party with free champagne, and required formal wear for the MDR on that night. That might make Carnival stand out.

Have you priced flowers:eek: Personally I dislike any table having something in the middle, especially if it's tall.

um, one would think one pair of jeans is heavier than one suit. yes?

Most definitely, but there would not be a substantial difference on the total luggage weight.

Also, we all know Carnival doesn't require a suit, or even a tie. A pair of khakis will certainly not be heavier than a pair of jeans.

You are my new BFF:o

I have learned many many traveling and packing tips in my 47 trips to Europe, ETC, and coming up on my 68th cruze!!!

Best tip..small, even smaller that the 3-1-1- TSA approved travel bottles...

I take hotel sample "poos etc..empty in larger bottle, rinse out dry fill w/ necessary stuff..label..tape w/ clear tape over it...take 2-3 depending on length of trip...when 1 gets almost empty...start on the second of same product....the invert to drain old one into new one. Baby powder is a must..(one of my bottles is over 30 yrs old !!! I use it for face powder too......when btls are empty..trash or save..your call. Back up Hair Spray same way...tho some plastics wither..so be careful. If you have a hairdresser,,ask then to save perm lotion btls for this too! I mix my own foundation..it goes in a plastic small"jar" then in a baggie. Small Dentist give a way toothy paste..or 1 med for you and companion. I have used the natural salt stone deodorant for almost 6 years..$6..never turned it up yet....WOW $1 a year for pits !!! yowza. It is called Crystal..no smell, flake, grease, just roll on damp pits, or run a bit of water over it. Got a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 one @ a Mexican Groc store...no weight there !!.. pill sz zippies for small jewels, or snak sz for a bit larger, 1qt etc...ya want more??.....oh like the kitty pose!!!

Archived