Is Cruise Elegant Night Soon to be a thing of the Past?

zqvol

Just curious, are the photographers employees of Carnival or do they contract that out like the Spa's?

I asked about that on my last cruise and they are CCL employees. Spa, Fun Shops and Internet Mgr are contractors.

[quote name='Boozebabe;34066658

I also think the "formal" nights seemed to go away as the dining rooms got less formal. I remember when napkins were folded a different way for each meal. Different linens for each night. Now its the same table every night. A more elegant dinner was served. At least 5 or 6 courses. Now a 3 course dinner is served' date=' not much different than eating at a Red Lobster. And who dresses formally at Red Lobster?

[/quote']

I remember when that was so true. It was also different china every night - the service was as much fun to look forward to as the meal.

I remember when that was so true. It was also different china every night - the service was as much fun to look forward to as the meal.

yup. the days of dining are converting to eating. if the current carnival cruiser states they don't notice what others are wearing, they certainly are not going to notice these delicate touches.

Personally, we like the formal night and would prefer that there was a requirement to dress formal if you want to go to the MDR on that night. We really enjoy seeing everyone dressed to the nines.

I agree! I really get a kick out of seeing how young kids (mostly girls) get dressed up. I like to compliment them and see them beam with pride as they seems to feel really special.

I just bought a new suitcase that has a place for a suit, so don't stop it. Besides, I want LOBSTER! :D

reading the feedback, i don't think they are going anywhere.

and i don't think a port intensive breeze cruise is a barometer for anything.

And you mustn't believe everything you see in print fro the brand ambassador's facebook page.. :cool:

Let's hope so. No need to dress up for singing waiters on tables and banquet food.;)

Agree, time has come to do away with Elegant Nights and go 100% to YTD. Should be gone in 2 years or less.

I would be disappointed. There are so few venues which require dressing up these days. The only one I can think of is a Wedding. People just do not take care of themselves anymore....

and I HATE when a person says...."I don't care what anyone thinks."

I would be able to pick these people out of a crowd..no doubt about it.

:(:(

I just got marrried 3 weeks ago.. I hate dressing up.. Just not me.. So Our wedding was casual.. She bought a sun dress and I wore kakis with a orange shirt she bought me.. We had a awesome wedding great pictures.. I dont see the need to wear a suit or a tux inless im meeting the President.. But hey thats just me.

274.jpg.6c3af46db829d735469c2f0cfb484b30.jpg

080.jpg.7481aab69a0d10207a93ea1cc286400f.jpg

I hope not. It's something my DH and I both really enjoy. We don't go out to fancy restaurants at home so it's a chance to do something different. I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't want to dress up, you have several other places to eat.

Sooo...we should be denied the comfort of the dining room just so some can play princess for a night? I think they have a right to dress over the top if they choose, but if I prefer to wear slacks and a nice blouse I should have to eat at the buffet?? Not real fair! Why don't they do an elegant night in the steak house or specialty rest. for those who want to indulge? That seems fair.

Would see a decline in the number of pics selling, because according to me most people buy pics taken during elegant nights. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On an NCL cruise a few years ago, with only optional "dress up or not" nights, the photographers were busy every evening taking pictures of people in all manner of dress. Yes, some were in formal attire, but many were not, such as a family all in jeans and white shirts or women in casual sundresses. So, if Carnival or other lines think their photo revenues will drop without formal nights - well, they need re-think that and make sure they have good photographers on board.

As for my own opinion on formal nights, I tolerate them but wouldn't miss them. I am single and cruise with my sister or a girl friend, so there is none of that "date night" atmosphere for me - maybe that's why I am neutral about them. :)

I have sailed on Royal caribbean, Princess and Carnival. And will cruise Carnival in 2 weeks. On RCI and Princess I felt like dressing up. Maybe its the fact that those ships are much more eleantly decorated. Lets face it Carnival ships have the TACKIEST decorations I have seen. It looks like dollar store decorations compared to the 2 other lines I have sailed. But I try to look at the view from my balcony not the main lobby.

I also think the "formal" nights seemed to go away as the dining rooms got less formal. I remember when napkins were folded a different way for each meal. Different linens for each night. Now its the same table every night. A more elegant dinner was served. At least 5 or 6 courses. Now a 3 course dinner is served, not much different than eating at a Red Lobster. And who dresses formally at Red Lobster?

I'm not saying I don't like the informallity of the Carnival cruises. I do like them. And will be on one in 2 weeks. But I'll leave the beaded dresses and hubbys tux at home this time. We do dress appropriately for the occasion.

yup. the days of dining are converting to eating. if the current carnival cruiser states they don't notice what others are wearing, they certainly are not going to notice these delicate touches.

You all have VERY EXCELLENT points. In fact, those posts summed up exactly what I was going to say.

To me, this has nothing to do with airlines or cruise lines. Peopleget dressed up for very little these days. At business events where suit and tie were the norm, sportcoat (maybe) is the norm. Church is the same way with people dressing less formally. Ties are so rare anymore and in an article I read recently, it noted that in 20 years, ties may be a relic of the past. Its just the way things are headed, and it shows in the attire people choose to wear on formal nights. In a few years, formal will be today's business dress (sportcoat).

The trend on board is just modeling society where the overall trend now is 'dressing down'. Suit jobs 20 years ago are now Polo shirts. Churches, restaurants, and the workplace have all relaxed their standards. I wear a suit every day and the last thing I want to wear on vacation is another suit.

People cry about it but 80 years ago people said the same thing when the top hat vanished and women had the never to wear a bikini to the beach. Times change.

I think these points are also very valid in the explination of the reduction of interest in Formal Night. Perhaps Carnival's appeal to a "younger and newer" audience vs a "more experienced" crowd of cruisers has something to do with it?

Sooo...we should be denied the comfort of the dining room just so some can play princess for a night? I think they have a right to dress over the top if they choose, but if I prefer to wear slacks and a nice blouse I should have to eat at the buffet?? Not real fair! Why don't they do an elegant night in the steak house or specialty rest. for those who want to indulge? That seems fair.

That's what I'm thinking too. We pay a fare that includes elegant night dinners ONLY IF we dress up. I think we should be entitled to lobster and prime rib sans "elegant wear"

We fly and it adds a lot of weight to our luggage to haul along suits and dresses just to wear a couple of hours to be allowed to enjoy a nice meal that everyone should be entitled to.

I think these points are also very valid in the explination of the reduction of interest in Formal Night. Perhaps Carnival's appeal to a "younger and newer" audience vs a "more experienced" crowd of cruisers has something to do with it?

I'm 24 and my wife is 25.

We will dress appropriately. Suit for me, nice dress for her. From what I've seen on our four Carnival cruises, the problem is not in the younger crowd (meaning young couples), it's in the families parented by 40-somethings.

That's what I'm thinking too. We pay a fare that includes elegant night dinners ONLY IF we dress up. I think we should be entitled to lobster and prime rib sans "elegant wear"

We fly and it adds a lot of weight to our luggage to haul along suits and dresses just to wear a couple of hours to be allowed to enjoy a nice meal that everyone should be entitled to.

You guys are wearing some heavy clothes if weight is the reason you don't dress up. If you don't like to, no big deal, but don't act like the weight of your luggage is that much of a factor.

You guys are wearing some heavy clothes if weight is the reason you don't dress up. If you don't like to, no big deal, but don't act like the weight of your luggage is that much of a factor.

Never said we didn't dress up. In fact we always do but just saying that the option should be open to enjoy the elegant night meals offered without the need to fancy up.

Sorry - suits and cocktail dresses add a lot of unnecessary weight to a suitcase when you're on vacation.

Never said we didn't dress up. In fact we always do but just saying that the option should be open to enjoy the elegant night meals offered without the need to fancy up.

Sorry - suits and cocktail dresses add a lot of unnecessary weight to a suitcase when you're on vacation.

Then leave off the suit and just toss in a pair of khakis and a shirt. Carnival doesn't require a suit.

Agree, time has come to do away with Elegant Nights and go 100% to YTD. Should be gone in 2 years or less.

My issue with YTD is that every night, not just the first one, you must wait in line to be shown your table. Some nights it can be a long wait. With assigned seating you simply go to your table after the first night.

I have lived in Belize for 4 years. On past cruises I always packed a suit. I threw that out when I moved here from the states. I did save a few shirts and ties. Coming from an island where footwear is optional, I feel fine with business casual on Carnival.

Is there a rule that you can't be over dress? Even if formal night is gone, what is stopping people from dressing up?

On my last cruise, there was a couple at our table who dressed up every night. Everynight she wore an evening gown and he wore a tux. After dinner, they would go dancing. They didn't care if they were over dress on some of the nights. Its was thier vacation.

I don't see this as a big deal.

I hope not. It's something my DH and I both really enjoy. We don't go out to fancy restaurants at home so it's a chance to do something different. I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't want to dress up, you have several other places to eat.

You have several other choices to eat at too. Have at it!!! No one cares if you want to dress up, heck, dress up for lunch even if that floats your boat!!

Is there a rule that you can't be over dress? Even if formal night is gone, what is stopping people from dressing up?

On my last cruise, there was a couple at our table who dressed up every night. Everynight she wore an evening gown and he wore a tux. After dinner, they would go dancing. They didn't care if they were over dress on some of the nights. Its was thier vacation.

I don't see this as a big deal.

I would feel comfortable if Carnival enforced their current dress code. Those that dressed in tux and beautiful dress would not be made to feel uncomfortable with those folks who show up with ball caps, t-shirts that show a drawing of a nude gal with naked breasts for all to see. I could not imagine for the 7 days we were on the Dream that the father and son at the table next to us could have purchased any clothing that could have been more offensive to the general public. The Carnival staff doesn't enforce the rules. So you are right...it's no big deal. No big deal to Carnival.

Archived