Nanaimo - What to do?

We will be stopping in Nanaimo on Sept 26, 2012 as part of the Celebrity Century's Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise.

I haven't a clue about what to do, so I am wondering what others have done at this time of year and what you might recommend - ship's excursion or private - doesn't matter.

Perhaps if you could tell us locals what some of your interests are we can start to give you some ideas - Nanaimo is a city of over 70,000 and has a very diverse landscape and lots of history dating back to the coal mining in the early 1900`s - there is a small old town, a great promenade to walk along and a number of pubs located right on the water.

The town will be out enforce to welcome you cruisers - while I get to Nanaimo a couple of times a year I was a cruise ship visitors last fall - first chance to see the new terminal - there will be free shuttle buses to take you the short distance into town.

Hope this helps - there is one CC`er who lives in Nanaimo who is a great source of info.

Cheers

Dennis

We did Nanaimo last year at that time. Unfortunately, it was very rainy, so be prepared for inclement weather. ;) However, as Dennis has already said, there are shuttle buses to ferry you into town and also around town. The town is very walkable, and there are some historic sights and a nice variety of shops and art galleries to peruse, which is what my friend and I did. There was a crafter's fair set up in the town square with some very nice art work as well, and some musicians to entertain. Our husbands did the ship's excursion on the steam train. Some others did the cranberry farm and garden gallery tour and enjoyed that very much, if you want to do a ship's tour.

there likely will be a tour that goes to the West Coast of the Island through Cathedral Grove. A group of rather large trees which the hwy passes through. Pretty cool if you are into trees and the beaches out there are spectacular as is most of the scenery in BC of course :)

There are caves locally to spelunke through.

A great tourist trap is "Goats on Roof" best one I've seen bar none. They don't haggle on prices like southern cruises though.

We don't get over there often but have done the stop several times on a ship. We rented a car and did it like real tourists. Fun day.

• 3 weeks later...

My son moved to Parksville which is 30-45 minutes from Nanaimo and we are always looking for things to see & do when we visit.

The 2 places that stand out are:

Mooberry Winery & cheese

http://www.mooberrywinery.com/

Coombs, BC (Goats on roof)

http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/

Golfing at Morningstar GC:)

Rent a car and do the drive to Parkville as it's an easy drive with stops at Tigh-Na-mara and the Parksville beachfront.

Has anyone ever done the Steam Train tour?

My husband and a friend did it last year and were a bit disappointed. The majority of the tour time was spent on the bus getting to the site to get on the train and once on the train they were warned most emphatically not to move from their seats when the train was moving. They both love the old trains and have taken rides on many around N America and this was the first time this demand was made. My husband usually likes to move around a bit and take photos. Also, there wasn't a lot of time spent at the steam mill. Now, all this could have been because it was a particularly bad day weather-wise. It was raining very hard for most of their tour. But they really didn't feel they got the value they paid for the tour.

Thank you for the report. I think that being forced to remain in your seat would be a deal-breaker for DH. When we did the Yukon/White Pass rail tour in Alaska, he even went outside the car -- and got some great shots!

Thank you for the report. I think that being forced to remain in your seat would be a deal-breaker for DH. When we did the Yukon/White Pass rail tour in Alaska, he even went outside the car -- and got some great shots!

We did the White Pass as well. Wasn't that a terrific ride?! My husband spent more time outside than in, I think. So, having to spend all his time in his seat on the Steam Train excursion felt a bit confining for him. Now, he did say that the tracks were pretty rickety, and so it could have been a safety concern that required them to remain seated, but still, it made it less enjoyable for him.

• 2 months later...

I emailed the Downtown Management Board in Nanaimo and this is the reply I received!

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your message!

Nanaimo is always very pleased to welcome cruise ship passengers to our City and we try to make them feel as welcome as possible. As a result our volunteers come out in force! Tourism Nanaimo will be at our beautiful cruise ship terminal to welcome passengers and advise them of the wonderful things our city has to offer. They will give you a come ashore package with lots of information, maps, coupons and so on in it. We have a free shuttle that navigates the downtown and has four different stops in Downtown Nanaimo.

The first stop is on Front Street, steps away from our scenic Harbor Walkway. The second is just off Commercial Street voted the best street in Canada. The third takes you into the Old City Quarter where there is an array of little shops and cafes. Finally the bus stops on Victoria Crescent, home to the China Steps. Then it is back off to the cruise ship terminal.

Passengers are welcome to hop on and off the buses as they please. We also have two information booths in the Downtown, one on Front Street and the other in the Old City Quarter, to help guide passengers and advise them on what to do and see. As you can see you take the cruise ships very seriously in Nanaimo and try to make your experience as memorable as possible.

For more information on what to do and what to see, and general information on the area visit our website at www.dnbia.ca and www.tourismnanaimo.com is also full of information.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else before you arrive and if not I will see you on the 30th!

Kind regards,

Kaitlyn

What is described in the last post is exactly what transpired during my cruise ship stop last year - the only problem was the weather - it was raining - as one who gets to Nanaimo a couple of times a year I discovered areas - the old city quarter that I hadn't visited before and while the firing of the cannon didn't go off as planned because of the weather it was a fun event to watch.

A short boat ride and you can explore Newcastle Island or have lunch on the floating pub on Protection Island - the walk along the promenade is filled with history - from its early beginnings as a coal mining town to a lumber town to it being a mid-island service center and a very much more mixed economy.

Cheers

Dennis

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I plan to take the local buses everywhere it will take me.lol. I always exchange American money for Canadian coins in Victoria BC at their port area. I then walk to the outside of the wall of the port and take their local bus that takes me into town. I go shopping at the Centre Mall at their DOLLAR STORE and buy lots of things. Then I take another bus to take me for a long ride to somewhere. I tell the bus driver I am only going for the ride and he

gives me a transfer and tells me where to take the bus to get back into town.

I do that every time I go to Victoria. Cheapy tour of my own.lol.

I have been to NA-NAI-MO, and I loved that city. It was raining so I didn't stay long in town. But this time I plan to take any bus to somewhere.

They did have a DOLLAR STORE on Front st. LOL. Most of us went to go see

the dollar store. We did take a free shuttle but they may be charging now.

I went to see a TEA PLACE where they sold tea and also did tea cup readings.

I just looked around and left. But this time I plan to buy some tea.

I don't care if it is rainy in NA-NAI-MO because I do plan to stay in town as long as I can. I packed a rain poncho last time and I plan to do the same this time with a small umbrella.

It was rainy in Astoria, so lucky I had my plastic cheapy rain poncho. I went to a store to buy some winter gloves for some of the ship crew workers. I know I will see some workers that will remember me.

I do plan to pack some of my winter scarfs to give to the gals who work on the ship. They truly appreciate them because they will be going towards

Alaska next and need warm things to wear. The gals tell me they are mostly not allowed to get off the ship in San Francisco or Astoria, because they could

leave the ship for good. That is what they told me. A gal crew worker one time got off the ship and didn't return to the ship.

Canada has products and things that I can't find in Los Angeles. So I stock up

on those things that I need. LucyR.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you know the best mode of transportation from Nanaimo to Englishman River Falls?

Are there tour groups in Nanaimo ?

Also, if unable to make it to Englishman River Falls for hiking, do you recommend a place that is within walking distance to Nanimo?

If you want a good hiking experience I wouldn't recommend Englishmen River Falls:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/englishman_rv/

- you will spent a fair amount of time getting to the trailhead for what will be a short hike of around 3kms or two miles - are you thinking of doing that hike because it has the Falls.

I think a better choice is a visit to Newcastle Island Park - lot's of history - trails and a couple of lakes and some great views.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/newcastle/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Urban Trekker

It was so nice of you to answer my question.

This has been very helpful.

Yes, I was looking for more of a hike than the Falls. I thought about Newcastle as well.

So, I will definitely pick Newcastle now.

Thanks for your feedback.

Archived